Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do plan on going ahead with this plan of doing wired on your computer and wireless on your sons laptop, make sure that you have the internet connection installed by your computer. When we had our cable internet installed at the condo they just ran a cable behind the furniture and then removed the kickplate on the front door to run it under. Surprisingly if its done right you really dont see the cable. Otherwise you need to install another cable jack right at the computer area (if theres not one there allready). This should save you time and hassle in the future.

The setup is actually very easy for your end. Its your sons end that will be a little harder (but still doable). But like cute said, definantly make sure that he makes it a "secured network" this will just make it so people other you 2 can't tap into your internet with their wireless devices.
    My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Well, my son hasn't gotten the router yet. He's been sick with a nasty flu bug. Made it all the way through the Winter without getting it but has been hit hard with it now. Our wonderful, Michigan spring weather doesn't help either. It looks and feels more like January here than April.

Anyhow, I thank you all for your replies. I will check back again if and when we're ready to do this.

Quoth digilight View Post
      If you do plan on going ahead with this plan of doing wired on your computer and wireless on your sons laptop, make sure that you have the internet connection installed by your computer.
      I used to have cable TV so there is still a cable connector located near my PC. Will that work?
      Retail Haiku:
      Depression sets in.
      The hellhole is calling me ~
      I don't want to go.

Comment

When I moved in with my roomies, I wanted cable internet because I was used to it from living with my folks. So I forced my friend who owns the house to bring in cable (I pay for it).

Anyway, the one roomie has an ancient old computer... there is no ethernet port, and it runs Windows 98.

I don't know if this help at all, but I set up the router using my laptop... then for her computer, I bought her a USB that makes her computer able to connect to the internet wirelessly. It works rather well, and it was really easy to set up.

Maybe give that a shot?
        When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
          I used to have cable TV so there is still a cable connector located near my PC. Will that work?
          Probably, but it may depend. There is a certain type of cable running in the walls that you should ideally have which will be better at carrying the signal. In a house I used to live in, we had the wrong grade of cable running through the house. It didn't really cause a problem with the internet, but my roomates on the end of the line would occassionally lose some channels on their TVs. Most likely you won't have an issue.

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
          Maybe give that a shot?
          That won't be neccessary for RA. All the stuff RA has should just naturally work.
          Last edited by trunks2k; 04-13-2007, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
            I don't know if this help at all, but I set up the router using my laptop... then for her computer, I bought her a USB that makes her computer able to connect to the internet wirelessly. It works rather well, and it was really easy to set up.

Maybe give that a shot?
            That should work . . . I have a wireless USB adaptor on my desktop and it runs 98se.

Trouble is though - with WindowsME, the OS may not recognize the USB connection and you will have to have an ethernet card put in and hardwire it to the modem.

Had to go through that a few years ago w/my brother's computer due to that issue. 3 hours on the phone w/2wire tech support and we still couldn't figure out why the OS wouldn't recognize the connection, so I went to RS and spent $25 for an ethernet card.

Best $25 ever spent.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
            X