Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fact that you are a branch manager means two things.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BPFH View Post
    He reported that not only was the password still "serVer", it was case-insensitive.
    That's...that's just...Wow. I haVe no worDs.

That's right up there with the server/TerminalServer/network master password on the systems back at AccountingFirm -- the password itself was hideously complex and actually quite good. It's just that it was typed up on a piece of paper taped to the inside of the one cabinet in the server room. If you wanted access to our network, all you had to do was to open the cabinet door (it was mounted on the wall right next to the server) and look back and forth between it and the keyboard to make sure you were entering it properly. Neither the cabinet nor the server room had locks on them.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Way back in the late 90's I was an office manager for a branch of a company with a head office. Another branch had all their computers stolen. In the week after the theft all the customers with upcoming jobs were contacted and 'deposits' or the entire bill was collected by the thieves, pretending to be working for the company. Over $40 000 collected fraudulently, caused by all the information available on the computers that had no passwords at all. All the computers and like for every branch were locked down, with three incorrect password attempts causing a wipe, and all branches were told that unique passwords had to be put on everything.

My boss was not good with either his memory, or his tech savvy (not that I'm one to talk), so I posted a notice on the general board: Head office told us to make our devices as secure as possible! I also gave him a list for his desk drawer: Office stations, warehouse stations, voicemail, email, HO login, network. Our passwords:
      Office stations - He@d_0ffice
      Warehouse stations - t0ld_u$
      etc. etc.

When I was off for three days I returned to find everything had a new password - Pass
      For everything. I tried to make it as easy as possible for him, but I guess it was still not as easy as possibly losing thousands of dollars over something stupid! Grr!
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

So

You lost $40,000 dollars and your boss insists on still doing the same stupid mistake, did he ever have to explain to higher management why?

I will guess no.

Comment

No. But only because we only got one visit from head office a year, they didn't have time to check, and also because nothing ever happened to the computers from our branch. Not because of skill or thought or putting any effort into it.
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Working...
          X