This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The calls that really get to you

Ok, I really do plan to do a longer update at some point, bu work has been so crazy (two write-ups in three weeks...) that I haven't had a chance.

But today, I got a phone call.

We're still doing MBA Boy's calling program, which is annoying, since it was only supposed to last a month. We're on month three. So I made my calls today, and was moving on with my work, when my phone rings. I pick it up, and it's a lady i'd left a message for, regarding renewing her donation this year.

Now, I've heard all kinds of sob stories. I'm sad to say that I've grown rather immune to them.

But this one was different. Poor thing, she was trying so hard to be cheerful, but the sadness in her voice just kept breaking through. She was worried about her parents, who were both in their 90's and needed constant care. Her disability benefits had been cut by $300 and she was having to move to a smaller apartment. She had to move away from all of her friends. she was afraid her sister was going to get mad for helping her move. She would occasionally change the topic to something more upbeat (like the fact that she's studied Elizabethan England, used to go to the same Renaissance Faire that I go to, and had seen the Beatles in concert twice--an interesting lady!), it would still come back to her situation.

We must have talked for half an hour. I HATE phone calls, but it was so obvious that she just needed a friendly voice for a little while...Someone came to her door after a while, so I got her moving date, new contact info, and promised to get in touch after she's settled into her new place.

I think I'm going to set up a donation in her name. She needs something good to happen right now. It's not much, but it's the least I can do.

Like I said, I'm not affected by someone loosing a sob story on me...but gosh darnit, this lady was interesting and really tried to keep an upbeat attitude. I want to make her smile, even if just for a minute!

That's very kind of you. Thank you for doing that for her.
    EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
    ~-~
    Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

Working...
    X