This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Collection of sad tales

I didn't want to jack Sheldon's thread, so here's my collection of sad things from my job.

Kids
    I learned pretty quick that I can never work for <Other Hospital System>--specifically the downtown location because they are connected to the children's hospital. Sick kids are hard. I remember scanning a 16 year-old girl with ovarian cancer and several kids under age 5 with pheochromocytomas (adrenal gland cancer). But at least with the sick ones, no one is purposefully hurting them. While I was a student at that hospital, there was a string of bone scans on kids under age 2 for "non-accidental trauma". That's a nice way of designating possible abuse cases. I went home some days literally sick at what I'd seen. One little girl, about 18 months, was a severe case. Whatever happened to her caused VERY obvious brain damage. CPS had taken emergency custody of the little girl and only her foster mom was allowed to see her. She was cute as a button and an absolute angel for us. Never fussed. Although we had to keep a close eye on her during the scan to make sure she was still breathing.

More of an annoyance than anything
    Did a scan on an infant that took 2.5 hours. Baby was not happy and screamed the whole time. Parents nowhere to be found. Now, I get that when you have a sick kid sometimes you need a break. I should also mention Baby was on contact precautions. Guess who got to sit gowned-up and gloved-up for 2.5 hours trying to keep Baby's screaming to a minimum? That would be me. And what do wonder parents do when they wander back in? Sit with Baby and touch Baby with no protective equipment. Way to either catch whatever Baby has or make Baby even sicker.

Bone Scans
    I almost hate doing these. I've had two cases recently where I had to force myself not to look at the pictures until the patients were out of the hospital because I wasn't sure I could keep my reaction under control.

First case was actually related to of one of the staff. His lung cancer had been missed until the disease was very advanced. The bone scan I did on him actually looked marginally better than the previous one six months before. Maybe it was wishful thinking. He passed away a couple months ago.

The second case was an elderly man with a history of prostate cancer. He'd beaten the cancer once before but was back because he recently had started having trouble urinating. Mets everywhere. I haven't heard any updates on this gentleman, but judging from his scan, if he hasn't passed away yet, he soon will.

OMG, how are you still walking?!
    Did a stress test on this guy recently. The images are supposed to look like doughnuts and horseshoes. Here is a good example of what a normal scan should look like. This guy's pictures did not look like this. There was barely any tracer uptake at all. Without some serious intervention, he's not going to last long. I was shocked he was up and walking.

With cancer patients, we see them on a fairly regular basis. It's hard when suddenly they stop coming in. We always hope it's because they got better, but in most cases we know better. I've developed a rather twisted sense of humor as a coping mechanism. It got me fussed at by someone once who thought I was being cold and heartless (no, not a patient or family member, just someone I was talking to). Yeah, it may come off that way, but we medical professionals have to cope somehow.
    Last edited by jedimaster91; 06-28-2010, 07:18 PM. Reason: Made something vaguer
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

I used to work in IT for one of the big hospital systems in Louisville, quite possibly the <other hospital system> mentioned here since we did have a children's hospital. The hardest thing for me was to go into the NICU. I still dream about what I saw there.....

Comment

When my mom was in nursing school, she wanted to work the NICU. It takes a special kind of person to work there. I know I couldn't do it.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Man.. I couldn't do that. Especially not with kids. It must get so rough.

Comment

Most of people in the medical field (my parents are in that group) seem to have the darkest sense of humor. It truly is a coping mechanism.
          Make a list of important things to do today.
          At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
          Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

NICU or PICU.
            wound up going to PICU....i cried, i did not sleep those three days there or if I did it was from being forced to and it was maybe four hours tops at one time.
            One kid had to be prepped for emergency surgery right then and there to relieve pressure somewhere...I'm guessing on his brain as he was hooked up to alot of machines.....every time I went out of the room it was a fight not to cry not because of who i was there for alone but all the others i had to pass by to get out.
            (the closest way out was employees only)

Comment

This is one of the reasons I admire my sister above almost anyone else. She's a MS4 (Osteopathy med student, 4th year) and planning on doing her Residency in Peds, and her Fellowship in Neonatology. She *really* wants to work in the NICU, absolutely LOVED her rotation there.

The woman is amazing, and I'm honoured to share genes with her.

Comment

Friend of mine is studying to go into pediatric oncology...
                There's a reason why I would never be able to go into the medical field - I don't have the ability to compartmentalize the way is needed, and I would be a raving alcoholic about 1 week into residency...
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Me too, Rads. Hell, during my sister's wedding, *I* was the one with tears pouring down my face!

Little sis is very good at compartmentalizing. She's exactly the kind of person you want working with sick kids - enough stubbournness to stand up to the parents and do what is best for the kid, while still offering compassion and understanding.

Comment

Humor as a coping mechanism:

[A surgeon is seen talking to a family, several family members are crying]
                    Dr. Cox: You see Dr. Wen in there? He's explaining to that family that something went wrong, and that patient died. He's gonna tell them what happened, he's gonna say he's sorry - and then he's going back to work. Do you think anybody else in that room's going back to work today? That is why we distance ourselves; that's why we make jokes. We don't do it because it's fun. We do it so we can get by. And... sometimes because it's fun. But mostly it's the getting by thing.

-Quote from Scrubs
                    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Yup. The fact of the matter is that people's stupidity keeps us employed. Not in all cases, obviously, but enough that some of us secretly encourage it.

True story here. But first a little background. Both my parents are nurses. Mama Jedi is an orthopedic nurse and Papa Jedi worked the SICU until he threw his back out a couple years ago. Now he works in the IT department, but he still has to work one shift a month on the floor. Before he went back to school for nursing, he was an accountant for one of the hospitals and he was burned out. More work, less pay, and less time with his family. Papa Jedi is wicked awesome because he took an accelerated program and got his BSN in 2 years instead of the normal 4. It was a rough couple years, but we could all tell he loved it. For the first time in a long time, Papa Jedi had some bounce to his pounce when he came home.

Fast forward to Papa Jedi's first day of work, fresh out of school, first thing in the morning, some moron crashed his motorcycle. Biker was little more than a shredded, bloody mess and didn't even make it out of the ER. Heck, the guy was probably DOA. We could tell something bad had happened that day, and for several weeks he wouldn't talk about it. Papa Jedi's hated motorcycles ever since, which is kinda funny since he had a Harley back in the day. Every time he sees someone out on a bike with no helmet, no gear, and weaving through traffic at high speeds, he calls them "organ donors" because eventually, that's what they end up.

Comment

When my nephew was dying in the NICU, the nurses and doctors were SOOOO fantastic. I still drop by with a couple dozen donuts every so often as a thank you.
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                        X