This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4am. Time to move?

One thing I love about my paper route is that sometimes you get to see some...interesting things. Today was one of those days.

About two blocks ahead in the darkness, I saw some strange movement. I approached with caution, and came upon a troupe of three people in the road moving...a couch. At four in the morning.

This particular neighborhood is full of apartments, much of them full of students, so there's always lots of moving in and out. During the day, people carrying a couch wouldn't trigger a reaction from me, but at 4am? Really?

Later, I came upon them again. This time, they had the couch balanced on it's end, so it was sticking up in the air like a great monument to their couch-moving abilities, and they were carrying a cover and some cushions up to it. They then proceeded to put the couch in the right position, put the cover on, add the cushions, and sit there on the couch, sticking out halfway into the intersection.

By far, it's not the weirdest thing I've encountered on my route, but it's up there.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

You never know when that mood to move will hit!
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
      You never know when that mood to move will hit!

I'd guess sometime around when your landlord tells you to pay the rent-skipping out at 4am sounds like trying to avoid being evicted....
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        I'd guess sometime around when your landlord tells you to pay the rent-skipping out at 4am sounds like trying to avoid being evicted....
        "I'm gonna tell you a story
        'Bout the House Rent Blues...

I come home last Friday
        I had to tell the landlady I done lost my job
        She said well that don't confront me
        Long as I get my money next Friday
        Well next Friday come I didn't get the rent
        And out the door I went....

...So I go up to my room
        Pack up my things and I go
        Slip on out the back door
        And down the streets I go
        She a-hollerin about the front rent
        She be lucky to get any back rent."

-- John Lee Hooker

Comment

Maybe preparing for a garage sale? I dunno, ya got me on this one.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Nevermind, skipped that last paragraph. Uhh.. Yeah I have no idea whats going on there.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Around here, people tend to move at night because moving during the day means heatstroke. Gave myself heatstroke moving into my first apartment here.

Also, it may be the only time you and your friends have off TO move. Not everyone has the luxury of a guaranteed day off at the right time to move.

Comment

I almost got heatstroke moving out of my last place (end of July when it was easily 90+ degrees...ok maybe not quite that hot, but still, not weather to be running back and forth lugging boxes in).

The family member who was supposed to help me decided to go out of town for that weekend...due to that I had to abandon a bookcase (relatively cheap, but 6 feet tall that I could never move myself) and lose my security deposit
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                  I almost got heatstroke moving out of my last place (end of July when it was easily 90+ degrees...ok maybe not quite that hot, but still, not weather to be running back and forth lugging boxes in).

The family member who was supposed to help me decided to go out of town for that weekend...due to that I had to abandon a bookcase (relatively cheap, but 6 feet tall that I could never move myself) and lose my security deposit
                  Uhaul rents out dollys for 7$/day. Its how I got moved into my 2nd story apartment by myself
                  Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Working...
                  X