This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panhandling customer

*doesn't directly involve work, but since "Vicky" is someone whom I've encountered at both jobs, I'm posting it here*

To give some minor background info, "Vicky" lives in the neighborhood, she's a regular customer at the library, and unfortunately was the reason the church finally had to implement a policy regarding the food pantry. (beyond that, I'd rather not get into detail because that whole situation is more appropriate for Fratching)

Anyhow, I had planned a visit to my favourite 99 cent store today, and as I was walking to the bus stop, I noticed Vicky and her husband walking ahead of me. I assumed they might be heading to the same stop as me, but no.......he crossed the street to go sit at a different one, and Vicky headed over to the bank which my stop is in front of. And as I was waiting, I noticed that she was going from car to car in the parking lot, my guess is that she was asking for money.

Not that this was any of my business, but when I got home and was walking past the bank, Vicky was STILL trying to chat people up in the parking lot, and her husband was STILL sitting at the same bus stop.

I'm not surprised, I live in a big city and see panhandlers on practically a daily basis. My husband was actually asked by a homeless lady at the library if he could pay for a night at a hotel for her. He told her no and gave her the information of several homeless shelters and churches.

We also have a regular panhandler in our neighborhood who hangs out directly across from the school, and she's always there in the mornings when school starts and in the afternoons when school lets out. We've also been asked for money by panhandlers at the local gas station.

There's also a little shopping plaza that's pretty popular with a Target, Meijer, and Sam's Club. It has a little grassy area out in front, and there's a traffic light there too, so it's a favorite spot for panhandlers. There is actually a large circle of dead grass from people hanging out there all day. Some people don't use that area, but instead wait around the side of the building and then approach cars trying to leave the parking lot.

Comment

Well, I do know that Vicky and her husband aren't homeless, but let's just say that I have some suspicions that they may be trying to scam people when asking for assistance.

Comment

Working...
      X