This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $15 Lotto

Lotto is a pain, especially in my store. Cause in my store, if a customer requests lotto that cannot be cancelled I have to pay for it if they don't want it.

Lotto SC came in to play her usual tickets. This SC has been playing lotto for a long time, so it's not like she doesn't know how to play. She usually plays anywhere from $2.50 to $5.00. $5.00 is her max.

Sadly, lotto SC marked the numbers wrong. I was training someone at the time, and my trainee couldn't get the lotto to print so I re-ran the ticket. It came up to $15.00 of lotto. Lotto SC freaks out and says it was supposed to be $2.50. I cancel and re-run the tickets, but it came out the same way.

She decides she doesn't want the tickets. Luckily, these were tickets that could be cancelled. However, the lotto rolls over around 7:47 to 7:50pm. So the games closed and were in the process of a draw.

I couldn't cancel them, and had to pay for her $15.00 lotto. It turns out she had marked them for 5 days in a row. She plays lotto everyday. It would have amounted to the same money. She could have paid for them.

Didn't win anything off of them either. It might have been worth something to pay for her mistake if I had, but oh well.
    “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.”
    ― Rebecca West

How in the HELL is that legal?

Comment

I concur...that sounds shady as fuck. No employee should have to pay out of pocket if a customer doesn't want something.

Comment

Technically, no. An employer can only deduct for "Gross Negligence, Dishonesty, Willfulness", and said deductions cannot reduce pay below minimum wage.

But since the employer can fire you instead, it's a distinction without a difference because in practice, most employees will not complain about the deduction if they want to keep their job. (Technically an employer can't fire you for objecting to their illegal deduction, but good luck proving that in court.)
        Last edited by sirwired; 05-27-2015, 05:47 PM. Reason: Initial post was incorrect

Comment

I don't know how that's legal really. My store is franchise, and according to my boss we have to pay. I guess that's a franchise thing.
          “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.”
          ― Rebecca West

Comment

it isn't legal, but since when have employers been bastions of obeying the law if they can get away with it?

Comment

Yeah, Completely not legal at all. However, if its an at will state, retaliation firing isnt out of the question if pinky refused to pay. Im now living for the day when you win the lotto pinky, due to you being forced to do that. See you waving that stub in your bosses face and running away.

"What's that boss, we dont HAVE To pay for those anymore? You want the ticket now? TOO BAD!"

Comment

problem with that is that the workplace could, if they cared to, then report pinky for fraud to the Lotto people. (on two fronts: 1. most lotteries ban you from buying tickets from your own workplace, 2. every single lottery I know of requires you to buy the tickets from somebody else- you can't do the entire process yourself) So then Pinky would be without Lotto winnings, and probably without a job as well. ( as a matter of fact, it would be unsurprising if a workplace like this would require the tickets to be turned over to a manager anyway- with any winnings getting turned over to corporate.)

Comment

One solution could be to be the first to complain to the Lotto guys, as that's who is usually believed in most "he said/she said" situations. See if there's a way to contact them anonymously (maybe via a throwaway email account?) and inquire about this.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Under these circumstances let management print out the lottery tickets and they can take the hit when the sucktustomers decide they don't want them!

Comment

Quoth pinky View Post
                      I don't know how that's legal really. My store is franchise, and according to my boss we have to pay. I guess that's a franchise thing.
                      Is it in writing? In an employee handbook or somewhere? In other words, can they prove you "knew" (or were informed) about it when you were hired?
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

MoonCat has a good point -- but if it IS illegal where the OP lives, having it in writing/part of a contract is meaningless.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          MoonCat has a good point -- but if it IS illegal where the OP lives, having it in writing/part of a contract is meaningless.
                          On the contrary. It's *proof* of the company having an illegal policy. Which means they can't wiggle out of it. They'll have to take the hit. They can still fire you if you use it in a legal action, but then it's more than a little difficult for them to claim that they aren't firing you for being a whistleblower.

Comment

Quoth pinky View Post
                            Lotto SC came in to play her usual tickets. This SC has been playing lotto for a long time, so it's not like she doesn't know how to play. She usually plays anywhere from $2.50 to $5.00. $5.00 is her max.
                            Is there any way to make the customer pay for the Lotto tickets before you print them?
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X