• Show
Clear All

• $.49...And Happy Holidays to You Too

Cast:

Me

Bitchy customer aka BC

Nice customer aka NC

So here it goes folks.

I was at my checkstand the other day when BC parks her milk and some other item up onto my conveyer. Little did I know at the time that I would be the victim of a drivebybitching.

I rang up her two items and BC looks at me and offeres her club card for any savings.

I informed her that neither of the items were on sale. She pointed out the milk was two for six dollars.

Now so far the conversation has remained civil until I tell her the way the sale works.

Buy one gallon of milk it's $3.49. Buy asecond one and it's $2.51. Thus equaling $6.00.

I tell BC this and she informs me that the policy at our other store, that is within about 8 miles of the one I work at, is different. That whenever she swipes her card it goes down to $3.00.

What BC does not seem to be aware of is that our stores are not going to have two different pricing policies. However, I let her know that at my store the policy is as was stated.

She proceeded to tell me she would take ehr business to the other store. At which point I was thinking silently that I would pay to see her try to get them to fall for it over there either.

She pays for her things and I, staying with my nice demeanor, thank her and tell her to have a good night.

Direct quote:

"Can't say the same thing to you."

And BC storms off and I am hoping she is gone for good. Now this is when NC makes her appearance.

NC is a customer in the lane behind me who has borne witness to this and upon seeing the consternation on my face she simply says,

"Smile and wish her a Merry Christmas. It's all you can do."

Now saying this wasn't a big thing, but it made me feel a little better as it showed that she understood it was BC who was at fault. And my good feeling lasted for a nanosecond after that.

BC came storming back declaring she would just return the milk.

Which I politely did and sent her on her way. All the while hoping a house would fall on her.

All thatover $.49. I have to wonder why customers seem to think thatif they yell at you enough you'll cave to their demands.

Happy Holidays all.

While she *was* a raving harridan, and desperately needed a clue that saying "They do it at the other store" wasn't going to work, I just also have to mention, that is one of the stranger pricing policies I've ever heard.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Yeah it is kind of odd. I have seen it in other stores for stuff. I think it's just their way of getting the most out of it in case you only buy one.

Funny thing is, that's the ONLY thing we do that with.

Comment

At my old job we did a similar thing. It's basically just a 'Get two for less than usual' deal.

Odd thing to me is the regular customers who would buy one, then when told about the deal, say nah, they don't want two... Then buy one the next day. And the day after that.. and so on. Similar thing for the next size up being cheaper. They could always save the second, or the extra, for a later time...
        3 Basic rules for ordering food.
        - Order from the menu.
        - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
        - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

All that for fourty-nine cents?? Sheesh.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

lol, it's usually the managers that cave, cashiers on the other hand do not, either because the person is being a BC or because cashiers don't have the power to do what the BC is demanding...ah, humanity. We're all screwed.
            We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Seems like she just needed something to be angry about, huh. ~_~

It's rainin', rainin', on the streets of New York City.

Comment

So the other store is eight miles away? Won't it cost her a lot more than $.49 to get there?

Comment

Quoth Sir Spaniard the 12th View Post
                  Odd thing to me is the regular customers who would buy one, then when told about the deal, say nah, they don't want two... Then buy one the next day. And the day after that.. and so on. Similar thing for the next size up being cheaper. They could always save the second, or the extra, for a later time...
                  I did this at a factory job. During winter, I would buy a 2-liter before going into work, but only one. Unopened bottles had a bad habit of walking off if not attended, so no reason to buy for a thief. Sadly, it was too cold to buy the whole special and leave the extras in the car.

Just a peek from the other side of the fence. If the grass looks greener, its because the radiation gives it a nice glow.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I used to get a lot of customers try to get us to price match, saying another store had it on sale. When, most of the time, this other store did not have it on sale.

"Well such-a-place has it on sale for $29.99! Give me that price!"

"$29.99, you say? Wow, that is a pretty good deal! You better hurry over there, they are probably selling fast at that price. In fact, I might just stop buy after work..."

Hehe. I was always quite happy to send away customers threatening to go to another store.
                    "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
                    "Red."
                    "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
                    "RED!"
                    "..."

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Sadly, it was too cold to buy the whole special and leave the extras in the car.
                      i bought a whole case of johns soda (24 for 17 dollars) and left it in the car for a week because it was cold.... theft free refrigeration.

Comment

Quoth Liminality View Post
                        Seems like she just needed something to be angry about, huh. ~_~
                        Either that or she hadn't been laid in a while.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                          i bought a whole case of johns soda (24 for 17 dollars) and left it in the car for a week because it was cold.... theft free refrigeration.
                          You misunderstand Slice. When I say cold, I mean so-cold-the-displays-in-front-of-the-gas-stations-are-freezing-and-exploding cold. Not conductive to keeping my carpet clean in the car when I had a twelve hour shift.

Geek "Maybe that's why they call it soda 'pop'" King
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            When I say cold, I mean so-cold-the-displays-in-front-of-the-gas-stations-are-freezing-and-exploding cold. Not conductive to keeping my carpet clean in the car when I had a twelve hour shift.
                            If that's still a problem for you, have you looked into getting a small ice chest or insulated bag? In the long ago days when we had milk delivered, we had an insulated box so the milk wouldn't freeze before we got home to put it away.
                            I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Most stores I've been to that have that type of sale (almost always grocery stores) clearly put on the sign things like "Must buy two" or "$3.49 each, 2/$6". I know I shouldn't expect SCs to read signs, but...I dunno, it's usually clearly marked.
                              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                              X