X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urp

Quoth georgie View Post
    i wish that when i was on checkout that i could have not accepted any notes that weren't perfect.

i had people pull notes out of socks, dirty pockets (covered in fluff and gum), bras, shoes, toddlers mouths and various other icky places.

sweaty, folded, crumpled,ripped and old notes were the normal thing to receive
    Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew!

Comment

Jeez, if that lady wanted a crispy bill, she should've gone to the bank! What a whack job.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Worst I've ever taken were some bills that were sopping wet and smelled of woodsmoke. The poor customer had just barely had a house fire, and that was all she had left. She was using it to replace some essentials, like clothing and food, while she tried to get things back together. I had to call over a CSM to take the money because I wasn't putting it in my till, but we still accepted it (rather than be heartless and turn away a customer who really did need the courtesy).

Add my vote in on the fact that she sounds a little money-OCD. That's a bit beyond bizarre, to absolutely have to have a completely crisp, unmarked bill due to some supposed misconception about what stores will and will not accept.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Speaking of house fires, there was a special I saw on TV once showing the Treasury Department's workers going through a stack of half-charred $20 bills to try and recover and credit as many as possible for some unfortunate person as an example of what they "Typically" encounter on the job.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            Worst I've ever taken were some bills that were sopping wet and smelled of woodsmoke. The poor customer had just barely had a house fire, and that was all she had left. She was using it to replace some essentials, like clothing and food, while she tried to get things back together. I had to call over a CSM to take the money because I wasn't putting it in my till, but we still accepted it (rather than be heartless and turn away a customer who really did need the courtesy).
            Are you for real?!?!?!?

You had to call someone over to take it and you refused to put that money in your drawer?

If that's the worst you've ever had, you are very lucky.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
              I think it might be an NZ thing only, but notes over here (if ripped in two) the peice over 50% in size is worth half the original value of the note.

I may be confused on that. I am not a credible source XD lol.
              Here in the states, a bank will give you another bill so long as you turn in more than 50% of the bill. Less than 50% you get nothing. (yes, i have had to do this.)

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                Are you for real?!?!?!?

You had to call someone over to take it and you refused to put that money in your drawer?

If that's the worst you've ever had, you are very lucky.
                Honestly, yes, and that was the worst-handled money I've seen. I called over the CSM because the bills were seriously wet, and I didn't want them getting all the other cash in the till wet too. It looked like all she managed to recover from the house after the sprinklers/firefighters were done dousing the flames. The CSM was fine with it too; just put them into a baggie for the cash office to deal with, and later brought me the same amount in dry bills so my till would be balanced.

I do consider myself lucky, having heard the other stories around here. I've had people who kept their wallets or billfolds under their bra straps, but the money itself was intact and dry. Nothing else bad, really.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

I, myself, would've either put them at the bottom of the pile of bills or slipped them under the cash drawer...but that's just me.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I might have, except that at the bottom of the pile they still could've gotten everything else wet (they were seriously that wet), and under the till itself is where CC slips and the like went.

Comment

With bills as wet as implied there, calling for a pickup (if it's possible) is very reasonable. At the very least it keeps everyone else in the money handling chain happier to not have to deal with an increasing amount of moist bills as the registers get counted and combined together. At least more and more countries are shifting towards plastic bills (like Australia and soon Canada), so wet bills shouldn't be as much of an issue (at least until everyone gets chipped and we go to a true cashless society. )

Comment

I had a woman get upset with me because I didn't want to touch the money she just pulled out from under her sweaty breast.
                        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

What's to stop you or management from using the same process on that lady? is this woman a regular customer? Have you had to deal with this any other time?

I wish I were the manager just so i could say, "M'am, I appreciate your concern for clean, crisp bills, and I think of you as a model customer. Based on this, I can only accept crisp, clean bills from you if you'd like to pay for your order in cash. we can no longer accept the ratty and wrinkled bills you've given us in the past, the same kind that we've attempted to give you. Now if you'll just slide your Visa or Mastercard... "

Too bad you couldn't force her to take it by saying, "well, this is all we have. If you don't take it, we're keeping it, but returning your change in rolls of pennies..."

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                            I might have, except that at the bottom of the pile they still could've gotten everything else wet (they were seriously that wet), and under the till itself is where CC slips and the like went.
                            Fair enough.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                              Here in the states, a bank will give you another bill so long as you turn in more than 50% of the bill. Less than 50% you get nothing. (yes, i have had to do this.)
                              Also, you have to have at least one full serial number showing on that peice. Or you did when I was working in the Kings Island moneyroom.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I'm thinking she has confused "store" with "vending machine"

Right?

...Right?

Please for my sanity, let that be right O_o
                                Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Working...
                                X