Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Scammer Alert
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Just some guy

Default Scammer Alert

Hi all

Of late, we've come under the cosh of a protracted attempt to slur the name of CS.com.

Details will have to be scarce for legal reasons, but suffice it to say that we have logs to defend our name should it become required.

The short version of events is that an attempt to request fiscal assistance from the membership was made against our rules, and after some explanation the attempts to garner assistance was brought within what we consider acceptable boundaries.

Various attempts were made by said person to portray us in a poor light elsewhere, each mention of this being a rather skillfull attempt to have us cast as the bad guys and to add in requests for assistance. We ignored that.

The rules that had been clearly explained were violated once more by extra links to donation-request pages, and we enacted a temporary ban. After seeing this person's comments reacting to this elsewhere, I enacted a permanent ban. There was blatant and malicious misrepresentation of the facts of the matter at that point in order to garner sympathy, each one accompanied by requests for more financial aid.

Whilst I have every sympathy with the person for the problems they claim to be suffering, I do know that their claims about us in this matter are false.

If you feel like commenting, please do not mention any names of those you suspect to be involved.

This is the court of public opinion and we're likely to come out second best, but I really don't care any more. I've had enough with this person.

Rapscallion

Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Lunatic posing as normal!

Just as an FYI to the members, moderators can and do share PM's with each other when a message is sent in a moderator capacity. That is NOT a violation of privacy.

I don't know about other mods, but I do save most of my PM's so that I have something to refer back to.
If a person is going to make a claim about something that happened via PM, then they better darn well get the facts right and not embellish, because there is usually a copy somewhere of what actually went down.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
The Christmas Tree Ninja!

I think I know who you are referring to. (after reading the post and doing some Googling, I was able to put two and two together and came up with )

I doubt you folks will come out second best. You have a strong following. While the internet might rule against you, I think it might actually have the opposite effect to what the member's intentions might be. If anything, you might bring some MORE people from that area who are curious.
(I just checked the pages I googled: only a few comments from chronic followers on said pages).

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Last edited by Ree; 06-28-2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Removed reference to gender

Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Customer

I just hope said problems were legit since I know some people are very generous and have probably donated.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Quoth Pimento View Post
I just hope said problems were legit since I know some people are very generous and have probably donated.
If it's who I think it is, unless the images on said person's pages are stock images from the net (is there a way to find this out?) they're genuine.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Senior Stuff Do'er

Whether their cause was genuine or not is not the issue. But the fact that they have chosen to deliberately misrepresent the site and blatantly lie about what was said and done, is the issue.

Unfortunately, due to people like that, I do not donate anything to people I do not know. Donations go to established foundations that have a proven track record and I know where my money is going.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Ornery Velociraptor

Quote:
Quoth fireheart View Post
stock images from the net (is there a way to find this out?)
As a point of information, it is possible to search with an image. Open google images, and just click and drag the image you want to search into the search bar.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Lunatic posing as normal!

I have no doubt the person is legitimate, and I do feel quite badly for them.
That's why we were a little more flexible in allowing the solicitation of money from the members, even though we have had a clear policy for ages about that kind of thing, and that's why I was so understanding and sympathetic in my messages to this person.

That's what upsets me.
So many concessions were made, and all we asked was that they stay within the rules that we ask all of our members to follow, but they played fast and loose repeatedly when it came to posting links to their begging pages.

Time and again, messages were sent explaining our policies and asking for cooperation.

When the final straw was laid on, and a temp ban was issued, this person spread the most vile lies about me in particular, and posted what was allegedly a quote of my words, but they were rather badly twisted and paraphrased so that it looked like I had said something else entirely. They attacked the site and the management.

I posted a rebuttal with direct quotes of all that had passed between us, and it was removed. The site was again being publicly trashed, so the ban was made permanent.
Now, the site is being trashed and maligned even more, and libellous comments are being made about me.

If a person could lie so easily about something so small as what was told to them by site moderators, then I really have to question the legitimacy of the stories posted, and just how financially desperate a person claims to be.

Last edited by Ree; 06-28-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Quoth Ree View Post
If a person could lie so easily about something so small as what was told to them by site moderators, then I really have to question the legitimacy of the stories posted, and just how financially desperate a person claims to be.
I won't go too far into this, but I am wondering if some of the claims made were half-truths. Which really, when you think about it, is the most hurtful of all.

(no I did not donate anything except my knowledge )

I had another look on the pages that I think relate to the matter at hand. There are very few followers. While I am aware of the snowball effect, I followed up on a few of the followers. They aren't spreading the word.

Also, just a thought: if this person went down the route of taking legal action, if they are in that deep trouble as they claim to be, where are they going to find the money or the time for a lawyer??? (Legal Aid generally handle certain cases and they also need evidence of the matter at hand)

Last edited by Ree; 06-28-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Stuff Do'er

They're welcome to try the legal route. Fact of the matter remains, we have proof and they have baseless accusations.