This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geese

One of the more unusual parts of my job is chasing geese with a broom. For some reason there seemed to be quite a few gaggles of geese that wanted to wander the course today, luckily I was able to usher each group out of the gate before they managed to poop on anything (and if you have dealt with Canadian geese then you know that this is no easy task).

I am jealous of this odd part of your job. When I see geese, I ALWAYS want to chase them. Something about them just seems so chasable to me. But I do not chase them. For they are also surly beasts, and they may chase me back. And they pinch.
    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Geese can be very aggresive and violent creatures. Clever too.
      I've read about them being trained and used as guard animals instead of dogs in some areas. Hawaii, in particular.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I believe there's a distillery in Scotland that has guard geese. But those aren't the Canadian geese. I'm willing to believe that they're just as viscous and anti-social and flat-out stupid.

Comment

Some parks here have geese problems. They have special hours when dogs are allowed off-leash to try and chase them away.

At my hotel, it's not geese we have a problem with, but blackbirds. They nest in the nearby trees, and are territorial as hell. They'll try and attack guests in the parking lot.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

There are some public parks & golf courses that have trained herding dogs that actually chase away the geese. They don't catch them, the dogs job is to frighten them away. Prevents the geese from nesting and the parks from getting nasty with excretement.

Comment

There is a cemetery in the next town over, where they have large wooden cutouts of silhouettes of dogs propped up on the lawns... Apparently this discourages the geese from landing there. I suppose if a scarecrow works, why not a scaregoose?

(The park in my town has a sign, "Please Do Not Feed The Birds Or Ducks." Gee, I always thought a duck was a bird...)

Comment

As evidenced by a few stretches of 'beach' along the river here, those silhouettes do not work. I've seen those buggers sitting on the cutouts. Now if they had mechanical/moving parts, then maybe...or the geese might tear them up.

There's a flock of white geese down by the river that's something of a local fixture here; people will feed them. Sadly their little nesting ground seems to be getting taken over by the Canada geese; there was talk of relocating the white geese to somewhere further upriver that they hadn't infested yet.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

ugh. those nasty canada gees fly through my hometown, Lubbock, TX, yearly. They always stopped at a park near my house. You could hear the obnoxious honking from a mile away, and since there was a library there, plus all the kiddy playground stuff, they drove humans away.

The library was since demolished after being found to have tons of mold inside, (sheesh. I used to walk there almost daily for books, then spend hours on end in there. wonder if that contributed to my horrid allergy problems I have now) and the playground/park is disused except by people like me who carry a firearm aren't afraid of the geese.
                  Coworker: Distro of choice?
                  Me: Gentoo.
                  Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
                  X