This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one (might) bite the dust

A fairly new cashier seems to have some chronic cash handling issues.

Generally it's fairly minor, but a few weeks ago... $100 short. Demoted to bagger for a week.

I'm going to point out that she doesn't have a car only to show why I was in the cash office when this happened - I was going to give her a ride home. After I finished my shift, I clocked out, and went back into the cash office while she was counted (technically it's against store policy for me to be in there off the clock, but I was just waiting and BSing with the FES).

Oops... she's almost $100 short. Again. She's still considered a new hire and not a full employee as well.

FES wisely refused to answer one way or the other when she asked if she would get fired over this (she probably will), instead just said that it's up to the dept manager and that he's very fair and unbiased (truth). Then the cashier offered to pull $100 of her own money out and put it in the till. FES just asked if she was trying to get him fired.

The store manager even wound up opening the safe that supervisors use for drops so the FES could count her drop. It was fine. It was such an odd amount that I'm betting she got a $10 for something, keyed in $100, and made change based on what the register said instead of pausing 2 seconds to think "wait, this was a small purchase, with a $10, why am I handing them over $90?".

Company policy says that in this particular scenario, assuming it's NOT a new hire, the cashier is to be demoted to bagger for a year, since this will be her second cash handling writeup. But that's all out the window since she's still considered a new hire.

As a person, she's alright, still very much in the party nonstop teenage mindset though. As a coworker she's okay, but she keeps screwing up with money in rather large ways. I wish her luck though, she's gonna need it.

There's a new front desk clerk at the hotel. I haven't met him personally yet, but after 2 weeks of fixing his glaring errors, I want to strangle him.

His till has been off every shift he works. $7 under one day, $5 over the next, etc.
    That may not seem so bad, especially for a newbie, if this were a restaurant or grocery store, but for a hotel, for the shift he works, he may only have 3 cash transactions. The busiest shift he had, he only did 5 cash transactions, and wound up nearly $250 OVER!

Turns out, a guest had checked in with a pre-auth on cc, decided to settle up in cash the night before checking out. He took the payment, but didn't enter it in our software. The big problem was we were sold out and had no way of knowing which room it was that had paid.

When we process debit card or cc, we always put in the invoice number as the room number to make it easy to check on later, if necessary. This guy almost always gets it wrong, which then makes correcting his many mistakes a bitch to fix. (Such as taking a visa payment, but entering it as a mastercard in our software.)

To top it off, he has NEVER filled out the required paperwork at the end of his shift, which includes things like counting the till and making sure the card payments balance. I don't know why the manager hasn't raked his ass over the coals or just outright dismissed him yet.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

there's only been one person I know of to date that's had serious cash shortages. My manager's solution? Stick her on the express lanes (where she's watched) and pop all new people straight onto a big lane.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I had several cash problems when I worked on a register but I'll defend myself by pointing out that I was never actually trained on how to work the register or how to be a cashier. The register wasn't working during training so the trainer just skipped it entirely.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
          Then the cashier offered to pull $100 of her own money out and put it in the till. FES just asked if she was trying to get him fired.

The store manager even wound up opening the safe that supervisors use for drops so the FES could count her drop. It was fine. It was such an odd amount that I'm betting she got a $10 for something, keyed in $100, and made change based on what the register said instead of pausing 2 seconds to think "wait, this was a small purchase, with a $10, why am I handing them over $90?".
          I hate to say it, but the whole things sounds a bit sketchy to me.

Yeah it sounds like she offered $100 of her own money in good faith and as support of her innocence but if you think about it, who would really offer $100 of their own money if they're really innocent?

If she took the money in the first place it doesn't matter if she gives it back to prove her "innocence" and buy herself another shot at stealing.

Then again I don't know this person and I'm not really there to gauge her demeanor.

I guess what I'm saying is watch your back. Most of the people involved with internal theft are VERY crafty about it. You sound sympathetic to her plight and you don't want to get caught up in that mess.

Comment

I worked at a Subway for awhile. The shift I usually worked was with the GMs nephew. Only one person was supposed to use the till, me because he was an idiot. But everyday he found some way to ring someone up, usually while I was smoking or in the bathroom. And everyday the till was under by $20. The GM always said later that I "miscounted".

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post

Yeah it sounds like she offered $100 of her own money in good faith and as support of her innocence but if you think about it, who would really offer $100 of their own money if they're really innocent?

If she took the money in the first place it doesn't matter if she gives it back to prove her "innocence" and buy herself another shot at stealing.

Then again I don't know this person and I'm not really there to gauge her demeanor.

I guess what I'm saying is watch your back. Most of the people involved with internal theft are VERY crafty about it. You sound sympathetic to her plight and you don't want to get caught up in that mess.

If she's incompetent enough to be that off more then once she probably can't get jobs very easily

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                Then the cashier offered to pull $100 of her own money out and put it in the till.
                Any innocent person would be confused and hurt by an accusation of theft. most honest women I know would burst into tears from that kind of pressure.

She's probably a thief IMO.
                *Ring* *Ring*
                M: *Workplace Name*, Ryan speaking.
                C: Hello Peter, is Ryan there?
                M: This is Ryan.

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post

Whoa. When I was a cashier sometimes I would be under or over -- not that often but every six months to a year . Every time I was under I would offer to pay the money back; I would even put that down in my write up. Did I EVER personally steal the money? Hell no. I would offer to pay the money back because it went missing while I was responsible for it.

So, to answer your rhetorical question, I would offer to pay $100 of my own money back especially if I was innocent.

Comment

Once upon a time, when I worked summers at Dunkin Donuts, they had this awful set up where the 3 people working counter would all be sharing the one cash register. I really really hated this, as I often caught coworkers making mistakes with the change they were giving (DD was the intake for a lot of high schoolers' first job), and if the register was off everyone was given a bollocking for it, and they would take the difference out of our communcal tips. That did change after enough people complained.

Perhaps it was an honest, if not stupid, mistake, like with a customer pulling a scam and your coworker falling for it. If she is a theif, she's not particularly clever.
                    If brains were gunpowder some would not have enough to blow their nose off!! ~RobertM

Getting married for the cake is like getting arrested for the free photo. ~ EvilEmpryss

Comment

When I worked a register for the first time, I was really, really paranoid that I would end up being off by some huge amount and get into big trouble. Fortunately I was okay, I think the most I was ever off by was like $9 but usually it was just a few cents.

However, there were issues with substantial amounts of money missing from my co-worker's drawer. Yet, they keep letting her run the register, I have no idea why, if they thought she was thief.

Comment

At our hotel, if it's anything over 100 (Which hardly ever happens) It comes out of OUR checks. By way of Regional manager. It only comes out of our checks if they watch the tape and can SEE we didn't pocket the money (Which by the way, pocketing the money is damn hard here, we have the camera trained directly as us at the drawer. They'd see!)

Comment

When I worked at the sub shop O' Q I'd frequently run the register.

One day I came in to be told that while I was allowed to run the register I was not to allow coworker C to run it anymore. If it was just the two of us around make sure I run it.

Ok, what happened?

Drawer was short $42 (it was a communal drawer, and if you were register trained you would use it) and the owner trusted me, and coworkers S & P, so that left C.

Years later I found out that S & P had in fact stolen the money, split it on cigarettes because they knew C would get the blame, and none of us would get into trouble because there was no way to prove anything.

Even though it had been years it made me mad. What if they had blamed me? and Why did C have to put up with that?

Comment

Working...
                          X