This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've only heard it a Million Times...

This isn't exactly sucky, it's just something that happens way to often. Most of the time customers will ask me "Do you work here?" It doesn't matter what I'm doing (clutching an armful of movies, putting them on shelves.) or where in the department I'm at (behind the counter) I still get asked.

I'm not sure what it is. All Wal-Mart employees wear the same color clothing (Dark Blue shirt, Khaki pants) and I have a Gears of War 2 Lanyard with my name badge hanging rather obviously from my neck. Maybe it's the fact that I'm rather on the small side (5'6") or maybe it's the fact that i look like a total nerd who escaped his room, or maybe i just give off some kind of aura of unreliability that makes people question if I'm competent enough to hold a job? (Undeserved, knowing some of my co-workers, but that's a rant for another post.)

I can understand it being embarrassing for people to ask someone who doesn't work at a place a question and get told that they don't work there... (plus i can understand if my name badge is hidden or they are behind me.) but this kinda happens too much...

Or does this really happen all the time to everyone and I'm just overreacting?

It really happens all the time.

Trust me.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Those people who ask you?
      They also asked the same thing to the guy in the suit, the bemulleted gentleman in the stained wifebeater, the tweeny emo chick in neon-horizontal stripes and the toothless fragrant guy on the sidewalk with the sign that says "need $$$ for smack"
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I get it all the time. Apparently I'm in WalMart too much (I wear my mother's bright blue windbreaker sometimes and people think I work there because of the colours).
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I ask because I'm lousy with visual cues. Unless you're wearing a name tag/vest/whatever which specifically says the name of the store; large enough for me to easily read at whatever distance I'm at, I will not know whether you're working there or not.

If you're busy with a product, I don't know if you're an inventory counter, or a product rep for that product, or a marketing company checking something obscure about planograms. I won't assume you work at (Shop), I'll just assume you're working.

If you're in (Shop)'s signature uniform - well, I don't recognise (Shop)'s uniform. I don't remember things like that. Besides, some places have a green shirt for produce, a blue shirt for deli, a red shirt for meat and so forth - just you being in a blue shirt and khakis won't tell me whether you work for (Shop) or not.

So yeah. I rely on logos. If I can't actually SEE a logo on you before I ask the question, expect to be asked.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

OK, I get that someone may not know if you're working or on a break or whatever, but if you're wearing a lanyard and standing behind the counter, why is it not obvious?? I get this all the time. No, I'm just standing behind this register with the light on because I'm not currently cashiering. I'm actually on the salesfloor right now; this open register is a mirage.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              I ask because I'm lousy with visual cues. Unless you're wearing a name tag/vest/whatever which specifically says the name of the store; large enough for me to easily read at whatever distance I'm at, I will not know whether you're working there or not.
              Ive gotten this while wearing a smock with our store logo on it.
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Yeah - standing behind the counter and/or with a clearly visible store logo, I'll be a lot more likely to assume you work there.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                X