Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guests don't like us using our cell phones? Well kiss my ass then!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use my personal cell phone a lot at work, and for work related reasons, though that wouldn't be apparent to anyone who saw me.

For example, I'll frequently pull out my cell to jot down a reminder, rather than write it on a scrap of paper. Or if I have to call another location, I almost alway use my cell, if for no reason other than it saves me from having to look up and punch in the number.

And if I need to call the police, I always use my cell, because A) I usually have to leave the desk while I'm talking to them, and B) it logs the exact time of the call. (For some reason, the hotel's phone system doesn't log outgoing calls from the front desk, though it logs incoming, and logs both from all other phones in the hotel.)
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
      And if I need to call the police, I always use my cell, because A) I usually have to leave the desk while I'm talking to them, and B) it logs the exact time of the call. (For some reason, the hotel's phone system doesn't log outgoing calls from the front desk, though it logs incoming, and logs both from all other phones in the hotel.)
      I use my cell phone to call the police for similar reasons... that and because if we dial 911 from the desk phone, it will lock out all the lines in the hotel.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Are any of you saying work time is work time reading this from work and not on break? If so, or you ever surf the net on company time, you have no place to criticize.

Comment

When I come here on my phone I am either on break or on lunch. I can not, as it would be quite hard to deliver and surf at the same time, visit cs.com and work at the same time.

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
            Are any of you saying work time is work time reading this from work and not on break? If so, or you ever surf the net on company time, you have no place to criticize.
            Don't take my cell phone to work, don't text anyway, don't have a smartphone and don't want one anyway, don't have internet access at work. Everything I post here is done on my own time.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm not a tattle-tale.

As a customer, as long as you're doing your job and not ignoring me to text, I really wouldn't give a damn. If you ignored me or had an attitude because you wanted to get back to your texting, then I'd be pissed and might complain.

Wasn't your co-worker's place to say anything. If he/she has a problem with it, let them go to management.

The way I look at it: Retail slaves put up with ALOT of horseshit from customers. If there is a place out there that is relaxed with their people and trusts them to do the right thing, I applaud it.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                I've also had customers complain (to me; whether they or anyone else called the office about it I don't know) about my using a cell phone behind the counter. Never mind that it was a call to tech support to get the card readers or drink dispenser running again
                I did something similar once. I had to call up <other location> for someone to walk me through processing a scan I hadn't done on our camera (they have the same camera). My work phone is of course at the opposite end of the room than my processing computer and the cord won't reach that far. So I called them on my cell so I could process as the tech at <other location> was explaining it to me.

Because my schedule is usually pretty slow, I will usually answer a text at work. And if it's really dead and I have no patients, I'll even answer phone calls. Just not in front of my boss. And since I'm the only one on duty with the code to get in the hot lab, it's easy for me to be discreet.

Quoth casey13 View Post
                When I worked at Wal-mart, we would use our cells to look up directions for customers sometime when they wanted an obscure item like violin bow wax.
                Really should be going to a music store like Willis for bow rosin/wax. Pretty sure WalMart doesn't carry it. *former cellist*
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

To me, it smacks of unprofessional behavior as well. As a boss, I'd be quite peeved if my employees were constantly on the phone with their friends, and I don't see texting to be any different. As a customer, I'd feel pretty unimportant if all the employees had their cellphones out to text while serving me. And as an employee, I'd feel as though I was cheating my boss. That's just my opinion.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I don't think it was your co-worker's place to tell you not to text on your cell phone at work. As for employees texting, I think it's better to do it sight unseen, it can look unprofessional, regardless if you're tending to your customer or not. Same goes with talking on the phone.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Your co-worker needs to mind their own business. It's between you and your manager(s) if texting while on the clock is okay.

I text at work but when customers aren't around. I'm also discreet about it. I don't believe that if you're at work you should be talking on the phone. That's just plain rude. Most of us really don't like it when customers have their ears glued to their cell phones while we're trying to help them out.

I wish more businesses would go to the doctor office model - cell phone free zones. It would speed up transactions and reduce any confusion that the customer may have. I know some customers would complain but for every one or two that did, twice as many more would be much appreciative for that rule.

Comment

I think as long as you text discretely, meaning in a way no customer can see you doing it, it should be fine.
                        At my work, everyone has their phone on them. They're all on silent and we only ever use them if we really need to, and only if there are no customers around. This is because a lot of shift change requests and manager requests happen this way. I also keep mine on me because I'm paranoid about not having it on me then getting hurt and not being able to call for help (hey, it's happened already once).
                        But when we answer our texts we have to do it in such a way that the security cameras don't catch us. This is because while the managers and supervisors don't mind us using our phones periodically, the owner is not a fan, and he has a habit of watching the security footage at home. One person was fired a few months ago for talking on the phone while ignoring his work.

A good way of thinking of phone use at work is it's like removing a wedgie. You don't want people watching you doing it, you don't want it to take too long, and you don't want to do it too often.

Comment

I think it's just mostly (IMO) about professionalism.

If i saw someone working at whatever their job was, texting on their phone or talking on it etc. I'd think they A. dont care about their job and B. probably wont be that good @ their job because they don't care about it/what they do.

at my work we're not even supposed to have our cell phones on us while working. although most of my coworkers and me keep them on hand just not on or in use during a shift.
                          Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

tho personally i used my cell as a clock since i often didn't wear a watch.

and sometimes what appears to be unprofessional turns out to not be it at all

i use to think my choir director was being unprofessional by texting during the mass (but never said anything). then i found out he was texting to the cantor down by the pulpit, giving them directions before the next hymn, or answering questions etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X