This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's an interesting approach...

So I've been getting some sales training at work from my assistant manager. She's nice and all and usually pulls down good numbers so she's trying to help me get mine up too.

So I'm picking her brain about how she manages to get make so many sales and I don't when we both deal with the same number of customers and make the same sales pitches and this is a rough paraphrase of what she says to me:

"One thing I notice about you is you ask too many 'yes or no' questions. Your biggest mistake is giving them the chance to say 'no'. Instead of asking it, say something like 'let's go ahead and set this up for you so you can start saving right away.' You have to be persistent, but not pushy."

For some reason this approach just don't feel right to me, I hate feeling like I'm shoving things down people's throats, which could be why I'm not the world's greatest salesman. I'm friendly and awesome with customer service but I've never been a huge numbers guy. Not that I'm not making any sales at all, my numbers are ok, just slightly below the level of the manager and the assistant manager, which is where they want me.

Am I wrong to feel awkward about being asked to use this "don't let them say no" technique?

I already have some issues with some of the questionable things I'm being asked to do to get my numbers and I am looking for other work.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Well first I'm glad to hear you're looking for another job. Your posts have been telling of increased pressure for sales and all-around pain-in-the-assiness. Sales isn't for everyone. Something that seems so simple will slowly twist your soul and grind you down if you don't agree with it or it goes against your values. I speak from the experience of promoting the so-called "free" EW/SI magazine subscriptions at Media Play. We were essentially duping the customers into signing up for something that eventually won't be free. If we explained the gotchya in detail, we'd never get any signups. So it was always a fine line between just enough truth and hiding it. I hated it, yet I was a top-performer for subscriptions, even though I worked just a few hours a week.

For EW/SI, I would generally state an intro catch-phrase, like "Did you know you can get 8 magazines for free?" Most people said no thanks, and I'd leave it at that. It was the people who hesitated or asked "What?" that I'd pursue further. Usually I'd just plow through the highlights and benefits, making it sound oh-so-awesome and then, only then, asking if they'd like to give it a try. I did take no for an answer. Yet this method and my bubbly work persona got me quite a few signups. Another coworker flirted with all the men - that worked pretty well for her too. Thing is, I tended to fuzz over the downside (cancel before 8 mags or you're charged for subscription) unless the customer asked. I would never ever lie, but I'd only point out the downside if asked. I would, however, make a point of handing the fine print to the customer and tell them to call this number anytime they had questions or decided to cancel. Not the best, I suppose, but it eased my conscious. It also helped my sales pitch, since I guess it made me sound more honest.

For other sales like reservations, I'd just get in the habit of spitting out the question on each transaction. Make it a part of your blurb instead of mentally pushing for the sale. Comment, "Ooooh, I see you're getting the new game blah blah blah, would you like to reserve blah Blah blah coming out next month?" Does your store have package deals such as a discount if they get both game and strategy guide? Ask if they'd like the add-on for a discount.

A lot of sales is just tying things together. I always had some doodad at my register to ask if people would like to add-on to the transaction. CD openers and batteries were popular add-ons.

My strongest suggestion is not to overdo it. By that I mean don't push yourself past a point you're not comfortable with. Sales is tough and I found it incredibly stressful and draining. I was reasonably good at it, but I'd go home and hide myself in my room, not wanting to deal with anybody. I may have been good at it, but it wasn't healthy. So take care of yourself, regardless of what your managers want.

Ok, long-winded reply over!
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      For EW/SI, I would generally state an intro catch-phrase, like "Did you know you can get 8 magazines for free?" Most people said no thanks, and I'd leave it at that. It was the people who hesitated or asked "What?" that I'd pursue further. Usually I'd just plow through the highlights and benefits, making it sound oh-so-awesome and then, only then, asking if they'd like to give it a try. I did take no for an answer. Yet this method and my bubbly work persona got me quite a few signups. Another coworker flirted with all the men - that worked pretty well for her too. Thing is, I tended to fuzz over the downside (cancel before 8 mags or you're charged for subscription) unless the customer asked. I would never ever lie, but I'd only point out the downside if asked. I would, however, make a point of handing the fine print to the customer and tell them to call this number anytime they had questions or decided to cancel. Not the best, I suppose, but it eased my conscious. It also helped my sales pitch, since I guess it made me sound more honest.
      Ahh yes, the lie of omission.

I do this all the time.

The company I'm working for has some serious management issues, such that I honestly would not be surprised if I came to work one day only to find the doors locked with a note taped to the glass.

I was hired to do tech support. My job is currently to be PR and basically just smokescreen all of the gigantic faults with the company.

These would be faults like no longer being able to afford to manufacture products to sell. People start getting very upset when they fork over money and get nothing for it because we no longer manufacture products to sell anymore.

I may just be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but at least the deck chairs are stylishly arranged.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        Am I wrong to feel awkward about being asked to use this "don't let them say no" technique?
        No, you just won't be very effective.

What it sounds like to me is that you're getting all the people who are actually interested in what you're selling, your assistant manager is getting the people who are wavering, or don't not want it, or are to shy or awkward to outright say no.

That's what sales is. It's definitely not for everyone, and I'm glad you're getting out.

One thing you might try in the mean time is changing your tone of voice. Still ask the yes or no questions, but make them a statement.

Say "Would you like to sign up for this thing?", but use the inflections of "Let's get you signed up for this so you can start saving right away!"

That, along with asking every single person who came through my line helped me consistently raise the most when the store was asking for donations.

If they really don't want it, they'll still say no, but if they're wavering some subconscious part of them is more likely to say yes.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Open versus closed questions.

A yes/no answer will often result in the answer 'no'. However, an either/or question with often result in an answer of 'no', but far less often.

"Would you like to go with option A or option B?" is the classic type of question.

However, ArticChicken is right - it takes a certain mindset to do this, to enjoy the challenge and interaction with people, and to get decent results. However, its far more of a challenge and more interesting than having to recite corporate's latest brilliant idea (courtest of people who have no experience in selling) about scripts that are going to work for sure this time!

If you want to turn it into a challenge for yourself, it can be an interesting alternative.

Put it this way, think of it like asking someone out for a date. "Would you like to go out with me?" is going to be less successful than, "So, fancy coffee tomorrow, or bowling?"

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
          X