X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 - folders / files flagged as read only

Hey All.

I got a laptop with Windows 10 but when I install a game (haven't installed a non-game this way) though the CD-ROM the files and folders are flagged as "read only" preventing me from being able to save games. (No issues with downloaded games / installed though local files).

I've tried to change it though the folder properties but the flag stays.

I've also tried though a command prompt using ATTRIB and I get an access denied error.

I've also added my login to the permissions.

AFAIK I am using an account w/ full admin access.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by draggar; 12-26-2015, 05:18 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I'm going to charitably assume you aren't trying to save files onto the CD-ROM. Obviously that won't work.

Recent versions of Windows have varying levels of protection on the Program Files directory structure. It's entirely probable that Windows 10's is stronger than 7's. Try installing somewhere else, such as C:\games\<gamename>.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      Recent versions of Windows have varying levels of protection on the Program Files directory structure. It's entirely probable that Windows 10's is stronger than 7's. Try installing somewhere else, such as C:\games\<gamename>.
      I had to do that with some pre-Win7 games. The default directory was protected, but the custom directory was not.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'll give that a try next time I come across that issue. Luckily very few of my games are on CD-ROM / DVD now, most are from GOG.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
        X