Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're not licensed to drive it then don't drive it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're not licensed to drive it then don't drive it.

So because I live in a city where most companies have a monopoly a lot of them feel they can do whatever they want regardless of common decency or actual laws.

I recently bought a car off my mother when she got a new one. No more borrowing the car and being denied! I had it for about a month.

I live in a very narrow sideroad and of course every parks in front of their house instead of a driveway or garage (and most of the houses on the street have one or the other.). It makes it interesting to manoeuvre even with a small car.

The neighbors across from us are doing work on their house and as such there are plenty of big trucks and stuff coming in and out. Usually they're pretty good at knocking on the door and asking us to move if they think we might be in the way and I assume if they're working for a large company like some of the logos on the side of their vehicles proclaim that they actually are licensed.

Apparently not.

If you are driving a giant flatbed on a road that's barely got enough clearance for a regular car to pass through you better have an idea of what you're doing.

Newsflash, you have the right as an employee to refuse if what you are asked to do puts you or yourself in harms way. When you are untrained on the equipment you're being asked to handle and it weighs more then some whales, it's generally unsafe to handle without training. This particular training results in a little thing called a license to operate.

If you don't have it, that doesn't mean you can just wing it.

Particularly if that means crashing into someone's *parked* car. It also doesn't mean you can try to run away. Needless to say that it is impossible to do so in such a large vehicle.

What pisses me off is:
    A- he wasn't licensed to drive that kind of vehicle.
    B- He could have refused to drive it because of the above.
    C- He could have asked us to move the car as we were very clearly home. (Both cars out front, lights in the house on, periodically letting the cats in and out.)
    D- There was someone with him who he could have used as a spotter. (Or could have told him better options.

He wasn't without options. I get that shit happens. But to just shrug your proverbial shoulders and decide to try your best by winging it?

Also, according to ICBC, this is the 5th time this month they have had a problem with unlicensed drivers from this company hitting things they shouldn't Mad Max style. They get slapped with a fine they pay and ignore it, their driver ends up not being allowed to drive even a regular car then they hire someone new. They get shut down? They ignore it and remove the decals from their vehicles (those little magnetic ones) while the vehicles with painted on decals are temporarily off the road. There's a limited time that they can stop them from operating vehicles because of the wording in the laws here and long story short it would ruin the business since it relies on their ability to drive. You can't force someone to get a license but you can demand they have one *if* they are going to be operating a vehicle. Which only results in people being hired for one thing but being asked to do other things on top of that job. And because this shithole of a city has created an economy where you have to have multiple jobs (even if you're making decent money like $22-30 an hr on part time it's still not enough to cover basic living expenses *and* food) people are pressured to do whatever necessary to keep in the boss' good books because cut hours or being fired over some technicality could mean the difference between living under a roof and on the street. Even if they can't fire you (wrongful dismissal case here I come) they can cut your hours back until you have no choice but to find another job to survive.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Are they fixing your damned car without bitching about it?

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
      Are they fixing your damned car without bitching about it?
      Only because they got a court order to. And we were only able to get that because of the previous negligence of their drivers.
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Working...
      X