This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox WTF is wrong with you?

So there I was, happily chatting online with a friend, when Firefox suddenly, with no warning at all, decided it didn't want to play nice anymore.

I had gone into a second window to look something up and got a "sorry can't connect to that website" screen. From that point on, Firefox could not connect to Google or anything else. I shut down my laptop, brought it back up and still could not get online.

I had an internet connection, according to my computer, but whenever I tried to open Firefox, I got a window asking me if I wanted to allow Firefox to make changes to my computer. Clicking yes did nothing except bring up the same window/question again and again.

I ended up having to use Microsoft Edge instead and am using that now. A friend suggested I check to see if my Firefox had somehow gotten the "use as administrator" button checked. I looked. It's not checked off.

So if anyone has any ideas what the hell happened to Firefox, I'd appreciate it. I wasn't doing anything online I haven't done a million times, so this is weird.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

As I have personally experienced and assuming you are running Windows 10, you had an update installed automatically. Any updates to Edge will reset Edge to your default browser and screw up any other ones. You can try to make Firefox your default again under "Settings" but I have had to remove and reinstall Firefox to make that work. This has occurred on 3 different PCs.
    I prefer to research any updates before installing them but Win 10 doesn't make that easy.
    Good luck.

Comment

I'm not running Win 10. My laptop is several years old and I'm not sure it can handle 10.

As far as I know, no updates have been done since the one that included Edge, and that was weeks ago. I did not set up Edge until yesterday because I never asked for it and didn't want it.

The other thing is, why do I keep getting the question about do I want to let Firefox make changes to my computer - and then it won't actually let me do it??

The weirdest thing is that this just happened in the middle of using Firefox. I had two windows open, as I often do. One moment I could bring up websites, the next I couldn't. No warning of any kind came up.

And today, while on Discord, I tried to open a friend's photo and again got the question about letting Firefox make changes.
      Last edited by MoonCat; 10-17-2020, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Still an update

Since you have Edge installed it was Microsoft pushing it to your laptop unless you opted for it. They have decided everyone should have the "improved browser". If you are using automatic updates then you can get it anytime. Still a frigging pain.

Comment

I don't like Edge. For one thing, there's no home icon at the top so in order to go back to my home page, I have to keep clicking the back arrow, and depending on how many sites I've been to via that window, that can be a major pain.

If I click in the browser at the top, it doesn't suggest previous url's like Firefox used to. Plus it thinks everywhere I go is "not secure." including customerssuck.

I never liked Firefox much but why does every "improvement" seems to make things more inconvenient? Ugh.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Plus it thinks everywhere I go is "not secure." including customerssuck.
            Do not be being silly Komrade Moon Feline. All is vell and good at proletariat venting site, da. Is nothing suspicious even in smallest amount.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

So sorry, my mistake

Comment

Working...
              X