My Work's New Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Work's New Website

For the past 6 weeks or so, my work's website has had a large banner saying "New website coming soon! Improved user-friendliness and more features!" I'm paraphrasing. I hate this sort of thing. If you're going to roll out a new website, just roll it out. Don't announce it ahead of time.

This week, the new website rolled out. It sucks big time. It's got the same landing page with a big picture of a local (to the main branch) location by a local photographer. But the text over it is maroon. Which would be ok, if the background was a contrasting color, say white or black, but the background is often a picture of some reddish rocks. It makes the text hard to read.

And the actual content of the website hasn't really changed. It's basically all the same information, just in a slightly different format. Some of those pages are just giant images with a bit of text below them. Here's some piggy banks with text over them saying "savings accounts" and two sentences of text below! Whoo! But where it says "savings accounts" is half over the wood background and half over the piggy banks. Maroon on brown is a joy to try to read. And you can't even highlight the text, because it's part of the image.

Over to the right, on every page, there's a link to a local webcam. A broken link.

Other than the landing page, all images are stock images. The picture of loan officers having a meeting, for example - none of them are our employees. They're dressed WAY more casual than would be allowed. The stock images are more diverse than our actual employees are, which is both good and bad.

The "find a location" map can't find our zip code. I have to tell it to look within 10 miles of our zip code to find our branch.

It has issues with browsers, too. I can access the site with IE, but it has a big banner saying it's not going to support this browser much longer. But I can't even get to the website with Edge or Chrome.

Oh, and they only changed the website itself. Nothing changed on the online banking part. But with as bad as the website is, I can't imagine how bad the online banking would be.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

You could always see if you can ask a single question about the redesign: "You guys PAID for this?!? Please tell me you didn't pay for this."
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
      I can access the site with IE, but it has a big banner saying it's not going to support this browser much longer.
      I wouldn't see that as a problem. After all, even Microsoft will soon stop supporting IE.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I think some of the issues I was having, such as not being able to access the site with Chrome or Edge, might have something to do with work's firewall? When I got home, I was trying to show all this to my fiancé. I pulled up the site on my phone, using the Chrome app, and the mobile site is much nicer than the website.

The maroon on brown or orange text was white on the mobile site. And the link to the webcam worked. (My fiancé made fun of them for having a 90s-style webcam.) Weirdly, though, a lot of the stock photos were cut off on the mobile site. The pic of the "loan meeting" only showed the woman in the middle, for example.

The reasons I still use IE for a lot of websites at work is because Edge sucks and industry websites often don't support Chrome.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Webcams do tend to run on non-standard ports, so would likely be blocked by the firewall. The photos getting cut off would be a lack of adaptive programming in the website; no rescaling of images to fit mobile screens.

Edge basically is Chrome; they use the same engine under the hood.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
          X