My Fiancé Got an Insulin Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Fiancé Got an Insulin Pump

It's been a long time coming, but I'm celebrating because my fiancé finally started using an insulin pump.

My fiancé has been diagnosed diabetic for longer than I've known them, probably 10+ years. They've been doing quite well on a low-carb diet and keeping up with their meds and insulin, so their doctor recommended an insulin pump. I know it sounds like something that you would only do if your diabetes is really bad, but their doctor explained that they only recommend pumps for patients who are doing well managing their diabetes.

My fiancé does what they need to to maintain their blood sugar, but they hate the many stabs per day they've had to do in the past. Between testing and injections, they were often poking themselves a dozen or more times a day. Now, with the sensor and pump, it's only two pokes once every 3 days, when they change the sensor and cannula.

It's quite a relief for me. Between their depression and dislike of needles, they were often reluctant to dose as often as they should have. I would have to remind them to check their glucose and do something about it. Now, I know the pump is keeping track of their glucose level and adjusting their dose as needed. It's very easy for them to enter their carbs before meals and snacks, so they shouldn't have to worry as much about highs and lows.

At the appointment where we learned about the pump, we mentioned that one of our cats likes to drink the insulin (the little bit that drips onto the floor when they clear the needle). The nurse verified that it shouldn't hurt the cat to drink it, but she had heard of cats being attracted to the insulin in the pump, to the point of chewing through the hosing. So we'll need to be careful of that.

(This is also the cat who likes to clean bug spray off your skin after you come in from outside, so that tells you what he's like. )

It's only been a day so far, but I felt more comfortable for my fiancé right away. They were nervous about it, but it has already been doing well for them. It will take some getting used to, as with anything new. But I think it's going to be so much nicer for them.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Quoth Ghel View Post
    At the appointment where we learned about the pump, we mentioned that one of our cats likes to drink the insulin (the little bit that drips onto the floor when they clear the needle). The nurse verified that it shouldn't hurt the cat to drink it,
    That's not a surprise. Insulin is a small protein, so an insulin molecule in the stomach will reach the bloodstream as an assortment of amino acids. (There are several pills used when treating diabetes, but none of them contains insulin for this reason.) Metabolic problems with an individual amino acid are known in humans and might be possible in cats, but I don't know how easily a vet can diagnose and treat them. Such a disorder would come with dietary restrictions (e.g., don't let the cat eat rodent pancreas).

Well, at least as far as the insulin itself is concerned. Such injections usually contain inactive ingredients for various reasons, and dietary safety is generally not a consideration for those.
    Last edited by Argus; 09-09-2021, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that info. I'm pretty sure it's one of those inactive ingredients that attracted the cat, since it was the Lantus, the long-acting shot which they took at night, that the cat liked. The cat was never interested in the Novolog, which is what's in the pump. My fiancé won't have to take the Lantus any more, so we're hoping it won't be an issue.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
      X