Probably all too common

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably all too common

Saw a sucky customer at the grocery store Starbucks today.

I went to get myself a frappachino and the lady ahead of me (white) was ordering something from the barista (African-American). The lady had her mask dangling from her ears and was asking for extra help from the barista to get the Starbucks app installed. The lady sees me walk up and all of a sudden she remembers to put her mask on properly. (And she would have had to walk in to the grocery store with it on, or security would have addressed her, so she must have taken it off at some point.)

I guess she felt it wasn't important to be courteous to the barista, but another white person appears and suddenly she cares about public health? C'mon. Everyone deserves basic respect. >

I'm not sure if race had anything to do with it. I think it was that she didn't see an employee there to serve her was worth caring about, but another customer was because another customer can't be forced to do anything she says.

Comment

Also, mere employees generally don't have the option of getting downright BLUNT about stupid/hazardous behaviors, but other customers DO.

And yes, employees behind the counter to tend to count more as scenery than as 'people'. Bleh.

Comment

To play Devil's Advocate, she probably saw another white person walk up and just assumed you were going to be a Karen and confront her about her mask being off, knowing the employee can't do shit about it, but also knowing that Whitey McCivilian CAN jump her shit about it, and didn't want to end up on Youtube getting ceremoniously booted to loud applause.

Ironically failing to see that SHE was the real Karen the entire time.
        Think. It's not illegal yet.

Comment

Working...
        X