What does "short ordered" mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "short ordered" mean

Before you read my story, please satisfy my curiosity and think about an answer to the question - if I were to say that something was "short ordered", what do you think that means?

Another project, another botch, groundhog day all over again. This time around among other problems, I am short a number of panels. As far as I'm concerned, my responsibility begins and ends with telling them that I did not have enough panels; it should be up to the people getting paid gobs of money to do the planning that should have to figure out how and why this problem occurred. But no, that falls on my shoulders because I don't already have enough on my plate with my short deadlines, incompetent workers, and defective product.

Okay, so I know that the quantity I received matched the quantity ordered because that's something that we now check prior to starting the job. This makes my job easy. I do a walkthrough to confirm that everything was properly built to plan (which was complicated by some last minute changes that didn't make it onto my plans along with some recons because of some other plan botches), and I am able to determine that all panels were installed properly. Okay, so there were 80 of these panels ordered, 80 of these panels were received, we have used all 80 of these panels, I need 4 more to complete my build to plan. So simple logic concludes that the order was short the 4 units required, or as I write it "short ordered".

Well what does "short ordered" mean?!? WTF do you mean "what do I mean"? I mean the order was short. No no, that makes no sense. I have to write it out as:
    80 ordered
    80 received
    84 required

Nope that's still not good enough, it needs to be:
    80 were ordered
    80 were received
    84 were required

Yeah dumbass, you fucked up. AGAIN. AS USUAL. AS ALWAYS.
    Sorry I'm not fluent in idiot so I don't write things out in the simplistic terms your tiny brain requires, but can you get a neuron or two to flicker for a moment and see that what I wrote makes perfect sense. And go fuck yourself while you're at it.

Or am I wrong, does "short ordered" actually not make any sense?
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

The only reference I have for the term is "short order cook", who's the person that makes quick dishes to order from prepared ingredients. I would have maybe said "ordered short" or just the very obvious "not enough ordered." Not understanding your figures without adding the word "were" to each line is just being obtuse!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Different ways of saying things in different areas Seconded on the "were" thing; somehow, I doubt those guys have any right to complain about minor quibbles with grammar!

I think of the food thing when I hear "short ordered." For your situation, the term I'm used to is more like "They shorted us on the shipment" if it's the vendor's fault (e.g. if you ordered 84 but received 80), or, with your MiMs, "You !$%&heads shorted us when you placed the order."
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's what the stork did on my oldest. She's 49 and 5' 0".
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Order was 4 short makes more sense to me.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

You know, it would be fitting if you were to start rejecting their plans and such for not having correct grammar. Just hand it back and say "I can't read this." if there's any grammatical mistakes anywhere.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              You know, it would be fitting if you were to start rejecting their plans and such for not having correct grammar. Just hand it back and say "I can't read this." if there's any grammatical mistakes anywhere.
              Grammatical errors are the least of my problems when it comes to reading the "plans". They overlap multiple codes on top of each other, the lines for a surface or panel or wall are drawn right through this overlap, along with a monitor arm and keyboard tray or any other accessory drawn through all that. I have rejected "plans" multiple times due them being completely illegible only to have my MiM tell me that this is all there is, make it work.

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Different ways of saying things in different areas Seconded on the "were" thing; somehow, I doubt those guys have any right to complain about minor quibbles with grammar!

I think of the food thing when I hear "short ordered." For your situation, the term I'm used to is more like "They shorted us on the shipment" if it's the vendor's fault (e.g. if you ordered 84 but received 80), or, with your MiMs, "You !$%&heads shorted us when you placed the order."
              No doubt he was picking on the grammar just to be an assclown (in case I had any doubt in my mind that he was).

84 ordered and 80 received is referred to as "short shipped", which is a perfectly understood and standard phrase. Which is why I can't understand why "short ordered" is misunderstood.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

"Short Shipped" means it is the suppliers fault. "Short Ordered" means MiM was too stupid to order the correct amount.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And if the MiM is too stupid to order correctly, you can be DAMN sure he's going to be too stupid to understand that it's HIS EFFING FAULT YET AGAIN. (You're just being mean to him again, you know) Of course, they're *JUST* bright enough to see how it's "someone else's" screwup/fault.

Comment

4 short tells me that they received 4 less than what they ordered. They ordered 80, received 80, but actually needed 84. This was probably due to last minute changes that were made.

Comment

The word you're looking for is rather all-encompassing. Something akin to "Incompetent". Typical of mismanagement.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Tell me more about this Earth concept known as "short" , I am intrigued, human.....
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X