Yes, you now own ALL THAT PEANUT BUTTER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, you now own ALL THAT PEANUT BUTTER

We have a promo going on right now, where people with our rewards card get fairly large jars of [Brand] peanut butter for $2 off the regular price. Management has decided it would be a good idea to put eight or 10 of these jars at the end of each register, so that the cashiers can let people know of this deal.

I had an elderly couple come through my line today. I was talking to the wife and told her of the deal. She opted to buy one jar, so I rang it in and packed it. Meanwhile, her husband was standing at the end of the line and sort of haphazardly helping to put stuff into their buggy to get it out to the car.

I think I heard him ask two or three times, each time in an incredulous tone, whether he was really supposed to pack all that peanut butter. His wife kept telling him that no, she'd only bought ONE jar and the rest was just a display ...

Don't know whether he's got cognitive difficulties or hearing difficulties or both. But either way, I still had to smile at his apparent shock that they now owned eight jars of peanut butter ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I like peanut butter, but 8 jars at once would be a lot!
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

I was eating it pretty regularly for a while, and i bought a kilo (2-pound) tub... lasted me months. Now I have to go for the more expensive non-peanut stuff due to a newly developed sensitivity - which is unrelated to the amount previously consumed, but no less annoying for it.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

That reminds me of when My brother and I were teens. He utterly loved these honey mustard pretzel things (Dad was the regional guy for a snack maker, so we got whatever was left when it came time to pull the older stock off the shelves). Ate them all the time. Then - BAM! - one day he popped one in his mouth and had an immediate (but manageable) allergic reaction o_O It's faded away since then.

Similarly, my mom, who loved cats her entire life, was allergic to them until she reached middle age, and only discovered that the issue had resolved itself when she was at a friend's house one day (who was unaware of this because it simply never came up) and her kitty zoomed into the room into Mom's lap and no sneezing came of it
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I once had a friend who was horribly allergic to cats, except when pregnant. We found this out with her first child, when she was able to cuddle the longhair we had at that time with no trouble. Both the friend and the cat were delighted by that discovery.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            except when pregnant.
            I'm curious. Did the allergy return after she had the baby?
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

I don't think it was tested due to her moving.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                Don't know whether he's got cognitive difficulties or hearing difficulties or both. But either way, I still had to smile at his apparent shock that they now owned eight jars of peanut butter ...
                I vote for deaf, not paying attention and married for a million years.

I don't like peanut butter. Hubs only eats one certain kind of stupidly expensive organic stuff that has to be bought at a health food store.

I have been known to buy huge amounts of stuff for donations, a poor friend or whatever.

Had we been that couple, hubs would have rolled his eyes and tried to pack up all the peanut butter because that was easier than asking me to explain what I was going to do with it.

Comment

Having a display of items at the end of the checkout where the groceries are packed is not a good idea. Unless management wanted them to disappear quickly.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

IA - It's been my experience that manglement/owners at many places refer to that as "not my problem." In other words, they'll blame the cashiers if too many of them mysteriously disappear because they "didn't prevent the thefts."
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about someone trying to return the 50 jars of peanut butter they bought last March and never used after discovering, to their chagrin, that they weren't all locked in their homes for months while all stores and restaurants were shut down and the cops arrested anyone who was out on the road at any time, as they seemed to believe was going to happen.

We had enough of those at the Store that we had to put a disclaimer on the bottom of our receipts that we wouldn't be accepting any returns for "overpurchasing".

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                        We had enough of those at the Store that we had to put a disclaimer on the bottom of our receipts that we wouldn't be accepting any returns for "overpurchasing".
                        There are people probably still sitting on that $1,000 worth of T.P. and hand sanitizer that it'll take them ten years to work through.

Comment

If it's the right brand of peanut butter, I absolutely will buy 8 or 9 jars at a time. It's hard to find the exact stuff I like around here; it's no stir, no sugar added peanut butter (they add just a little bit of palm oil to keep it mixed- every other brand that also does also adds sugar which I do not want). I don't like the 'stir' type no sugar added peanut butter, the texture is never right since you can't get the oil properly mixed back in all the way down so you wind up with peanut butter that's either too oily and thus runny or that's too dry and crumbly and won't spread right.
                          Last edited by Kittish; 07-09-2021, 04:14 PM.
                          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It may just be my eternally stuffy nose, but I can barely tell the difference between sugar-packed PB and the no sugar added kind -- aside from the fact that I think the latter simply tastes more..."peanutty" (?). Thus, I go for the latter. My ideal is the ones whose labels read "Ingredients: Peanuts, salt." I also recently discovered a sugar-free bread that isn't nearly ten bucks a loaf (nature's own makes one for about 40c more than their regular loaves).

Comment

Wow. I picked up a jar of the no-sugar-added low-salt kind and it was ... not good. At least, not to my tastebuds. I'm so used to the regular commercial type that the other tasted positively insipid. It was tolerable on pretzels, where the extra salt from the pretzel made up for some of the missing salt from the PB. But it was only tolerable, then.

Of course, I grew up on the least-expensive store-brand PB that we could find, since "single parent graduate student" doesn't usually == "high income". So I guess that's what I'm used to.
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X