Making Exceptions for Goodhair, Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Exceptions for Goodhair, Again

Recently, my Branch Manager visited the main branch for a couple days and came back with this story.

Our branch is in a fairly rural town, so we get away with having a more "business casual" dress code. But BM knew that the main branch likes to stick to more professional dress, so he made sure to wear a well-pressed shirt and tie when he arrived. As he was saying hi to everyone, he noticed nobody was wearing a tie. When he asked about it, Ted told him that the last time Goodhair was in town, he refused to wear a tie. Because of that, nobody wears ties to the bank any more.

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't think that professional dress is all it's cracked up to be, but if we followed Goodhair's example, we'd be wearing crocs to work.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Many years before I retired my office instituted a coat and tie policy for interviews. It was soon cancelled since it did not require women to wear coats and ties and thus constituted sex discrimination. While active, that policy resulted in many, shall we say, interesting ties to be worn.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

"It's a coat of body paint and the knot is tied!"
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I find dress codes stupid and unnecessary. And shallow.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I've always felt that "Dress in nice, clean, well maintained, non-reveling clothes" to be good for most things.

Comment

I detest dress codes. As long as you're covering up most of your flesh, and not advertising for anything intemperate or inappropriate, what you wear is your choice only.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of restrictive dress codes but I can understand why a work place would have some sort of dress code in place. For example, at my job I wear clothing items that fit within the image we are trying to project. I've got gothier clothing than what I wear to work, and while it definitely covers me up, it is not suitable for work - band t-shirts are not appropriate, neither are ripped up black jeans and/or fishnets, no matter how many layers I wear of them. It's basically a situation of 'time and place' - there's a time and place for some of my wilder Goth looks, and work isn't one of them. If anything, I tend towards relaxed corporate Goth for work. I can still be myself yet fit within the loose dress code we have in place.

Comment

About 10 year or so ago, they changed our company wide dress code from 'business casual' to 'Whatever is appropriate for your department and job'. The outside sales critters still mostly follow a 'business' dress code, but pretty much everyone else wear 'jeans and golf shirts' type stuff. You can wear T-shirts, but it's generally understood that the only things allowed on T-shirts are either a small manufacture logo, or a design/logo from our company.
                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

I agree. Our official dress code is overly restrictive. We're not supposed to wear jeans or even khakis except on Fridays*. We're not supposed to wear open-toed shoes. But Goodhair wears crocs to work. Seriously. On the rare times he actually comes into the building (usually for less than an hour), he wears jeans, crocs, and a t-shirt with either a fishing scene or a beer ad. But he's Goodhair, so I guess the rules don't apply to him.

*Casual Fridays are a whole separate rant. What makes Fridays so special that we can wear more casual clothes then? And on the flip side, if it's ok to wear on Fridays, why isn't it ok to wear the rest of the week?
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Wait a second, please. I'm still stuck on him wearing a beer ad. Freedom of choice is one thing, but that certainly crosses several boundaries.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Crocs. At a BANK. For management. O_O Dear Gord.
                      Please tell me he never steps out from behind the counter so customers won't ever see those. Business casual is fine, but...but...MFing CROCS?!?
                      The man needs to be contained for the good of all mankind.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        MFing CROCS?!?
                        The man needs to be contained for the good of all mankind.
                        Now THIS is the reaction I was expecting!

Yes, he wears crocs to the bank. They're brown, so I don't think most people notice them. At least, until he points out that he's wearing crocs. He seems to think they're a joke.
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

He wears crocs. Does that mean he is a croc of ...?
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            He wears crocs. Does that mean he is a croc of ...?
                            ... sheep. Definitely sheep...
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                              *Casual Fridays are a whole separate rant. What makes Fridays so special that we can wear more casual clothes then? And on the flip side, if it's ok to wear on Fridays, why isn't it ok to wear the rest of the week?
                              Casual Friday came about as you did not schedule customer meetings on Friday. The customers were usually too busy trying to get out of the office for the weekend to want to deal with a vendor.
                              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                              Save the Ales!
                              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                              X