I may have gone over to the dark side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may have gone over to the dark side

I think I may have gone over to the dark side.
    And I really liked it.

I'm not sure how to process my odd reaction to something that happened. This was just before the virus shutdown and it's still on my mind.

I was grocery shopping, not in the store I work in, but in another store my company has across town. I was in the checkout line. The clerk was scanning my stuff. The store was fairly busy. Suddenly, a disheveled man pushing a shopping cart overflowing with groceries darted out of an aisle and straight out the entrance. It only took an instant.

Because of the way the cashier stations are oriented, the shoplifter was not in their line of site. He was, however, in my line of sight, and of any other customer who might have been looking up at the right moment. I looked around, and no one else had noticed.

This should be the part where I tell you how upset I was at what I had just witnessed. After all, a person just stole a lot of stuff from my employer and got away with it. A few years ago, I would have felt some anger, and frustration. But, that's not what happened this time. After the thief ran out the door and I realized no one noticed, I burst out laughing. Like, really loud too, not just a giggle or chuckle. It felt good. And the only thought going through my mind was "Good for you."

Later, I felt a bit confused, even slightly ashamed. I'm guessing this unexpected response is a result of the past few years, where I had a few managers that were unreasonable to the extreme. They caused me more work related stress in 2 years than the previous 25 years combined. I was aware that my feelings for my employer had changed as a result. My response to this shoplifter tells me that the change may go deeper than I realized. While I still don't want to see people stealing, obviously, it does not bother me like it once did.

That is disturbing.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
      And the only thought going through my mind was "Good for you."
      And how many movies have we all watched where we cheered for the crooks?
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I mean...it was food. I would think that many people would at least feel some kind of sympathy for someone who resorts to stealing groceries.

Now, if it was a cart full of high theft, easily sold items that would have been something entirely different, imo.

Comment

I guess that I am halfway there.
          I have long ago realized that my superiors don't care enough about theft to take reasonable measures to prevent it, and therefore I should stop caring too.

But I haven't completely stopped.

Comment

Quoth Rayndel View Post
            I mean...it was food. I would think that many people would at least feel some kind of sympathy for someone who resorts to stealing groceries.

Now, if it was a cart full of high theft, easily sold items that would have been something entirely different, imo.
            This was my thought. I still think stealing anything is wrong, but there is always room for grace within the law.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
            X