Modern instant photography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern instant photography?

Almost impulse-bought a camera today, but I restrained myself.

I don't really follow Trending Things, so I had no idea that Polaroid was back in town; and casual, physical photography apparently made a bit of a comeback. I've done some very casual Google searches, but may as well ask around too. Anyone played around with the new-wave instant cameras? I've primarily seen Polaroid and Fujifilm, but I'm not finding too many differences between the brands except the photos are different sizes.

Granted I know very little about photography; 'point and shoot' is about my limit at this point. But it'd be cool to own a film camera again, it's been about twenty years, and not having to worry about actually finding a place that -does- photos would be a plus.
    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

What I've seen hasn't been very complementary about them. The tech's not much different to how it used to be, meaning the imagery tends to be pretty poor and very expensive. If you're only looking to use it for novelty value anyway then that may not be too much of a concern, but a couple of bucks per shot can add up fast, especially when you can't always be sure exactly what you're shooting because of alignment issues between the lens and the viewfinder.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Not here; I've looked into them, but that's about it. Not even sure how the quality is, as it seems they're very much targeting the nostalgia market. They do have some modern bits - e.g., it seems that the current standard is digital storage/SD-type cards, and you can choose which pics to print and when, add frames, stuff like that.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh yeah, it's totally nostalgia, I'll freely admit. Could be fun though!
        Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
        They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Working...
        X