I hate debt collectors, but I handled it well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate debt collectors, but I handled it well

I was just browsing through an old thread about wrong numbers, and the discussion of how to deal with collectors reminded me of a call I took about a week ago.

A debt collector called my landline asking for me with my former name. That number had never been associated with that name, but I was curious, so I verified my info for them. They were calling about a debt that had been charged off at least 6 years ago. Apparently it's been sold again. I've been watching for it to drop off my credit report (it should disappear after 7 years). I told them that I didn't intend to repay the debt. I recalled what I'd learned that there's a timeframe for when collectors can try to collect (though I don't remember the actual time), and if you send them any money, that time resets. I don't want them to keep trying to collect from me, so I told them no.

I had also recently had training at work for the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and it was fresh in my mind. So I told them I didn't want them calling me, that any communication needed to be by mail. They asked about my cell phone number. I told them not to call that, either.

Then they asked about my ex. I told them he was my ex and that he was responsible for that debt. Which is not legally true - we took out the debt jointly and we're both responsible for it. But I'm not going to pay it, and if they want to try to collect from him, be my guest. They tried to verify an address and phone number for him, but I don't have that current information and told them as much. They'll probably try to get his info off public records and contact him, but what do I care?

The caller was professional and polite. I suspect he expected me to be angry and might have been pleasantly surprised that I, too, was professional and polite. I was perhaps a bit short with him a few times, but he was the one who called me looking for money or information, so

My partner was listening to my side of the call and said they were impressed by how well I handled the call. I was clear, concise, and made sure the caller knew how I wanted things handled. Even though I was tempted to complain, I made sure I got through to them on the main points: 1. I'm not paying this, and 2. Don't call me again.

ETA: This debt was a second mortgage on the house my ex and I owned. When my ex split and refused to pay the mortgage, it was foreclosed on. That's when this second mortgage was charged off.
    Last edited by Ghel; 08-23-2021, 08:27 PM.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

We got a debt collection call for my sister once (I guess she put us down as a reference or something).

Anyway, my wife answered the phone. She basically told them that: 1. No, <my sister> doesn't live here, 2. The information you have for her is probably correct, and 3. Good luck collecting.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
    X