Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's just my imagination (running away with me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's just my imagination (running away with me)

One of my main clients hasn't had any of their co-ordinators come to work in well over a year. They are still in lockdown and are working remotely from home. In theory, this is fine, their job is to make sure that everyone has the files and product that is needed and that everyone is actually doing their job properly. In the perfect world that they believe we live in, this arrangement works perfectly. In the clusterfuck that reality is, not so much.

I'm on site and among other things, I have to place a number of cabinets as the floor plan has them laid out. First snag, there are 34 cabinets and only 32 drawn on the floor plan. Nope, I'm wrong, all the cabinets are drawn out. Okay, I've combed through this floor plan a half dozen times, there are only 32 drawn, please check for yourself if you don't believe me. Nope, she doesn't need to do that, the floor plan is correct. Okay, next problem, half the cabinets are triple lock and the other half are single lock, nothing on the plan tells me the arrangement of the different types. She actually does acknowledge that this is an issue, but naturally was unaware of it so she has to look into it. To her credit, she did get back to me promptly with an answer.

Then I have a real good one. There is a bank of 6 cabinets in the middle of the floor. The construction company has built a millwork countertop frame to surround these cabinets. Unfortunately, they weren't given the proper dimensions, the cabinets do not fit underneath the counter, plus even if they could, there is only room for 5 cabinets. I send an email with a photo leading to this conversation

SC: There isn't supposed to be any millwork around those cabinets
    Me: Okay, well there is
    SC: No there isn't
    Me: Okay, maybe there wasn't supposed to be, but there is this custom counter built
    SC: No, that's not there
    Me: Yes it is, that's the photo I sent you
    SC: No, those cabinets just sit in the middle of the floor, there is nothing around them. That's right on the plans.
    Me: Yes, thank you. I do know how to read plans. But this has been built in that spot.
    SC: No, that's not where it is.
    Me: No, as a matter of fact, this has been built exactly where those cabinets are supposed to be.
    SC: No, there can't be anything there.
    Me: Okay, I'm going to do my best here, and someone is going to have to come take a look at things.
    SC: Okay, just put the cabinets where the plans show them.
    Me: Allrightythen.

Silly me. That 15 foot by 2 foot countertop surround construction wasn't actually there. I was just imagining it. Whatever brain damage I had was contagious as well, all of my co-workers were seeing and feeling it as well. The illusion was so real, that even the cabinets thought they were hitting a solid object and would not go into place. But it couldn't be there. The person who hasn't physically been at this site in over a year tells me so. Her plans tell her that it's not there, so it is not there. I suppose she was just going on the assumption that I'm a moron who can't read plans and I was looking at the wrong spot, but she should know me better than that.

I found a suitable spot for the cabinets. If anyone ever actually does physically show up to site, they can decide how to proceed from there.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Quoth evilhomer View Post
    ...I found a suitable spot for the cabinets.
    Please, please, tell us the customer contact is walking "funny".
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      She was full of it, what makes you think she even had room for the cabinets there?
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        She was full of it, what makes you think she even had room for the cabinets there?
        EH is a proven Tetris Master.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

Tempting, but that would require her to show up for work.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Do as she says.

Since she insist the cabinets belong there, do them as she says and put them on top of the mill-work. I hope you have the conversation recorded to show you did what she demanded.

Comment

I am assuming that the plans that you have are "floor plans" with no vertical specifications. If so, wouldn't putting the cabinets on top of the countertop meet the plan requirements?
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

On top of the millwork would be highly dangerous and would damage it as well. Of course, since it doesn't exist, maybe that would be alright.

I was going to put it in front of the millwork but then the aisleway would be too narrow. There was an empty wall around the corner, that someone who didn't have their head up their ass marked as an alternate location, that worked perfectly for them.
                D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Working...
                X