Can you Yanks translate this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you Yanks translate this?

From a passage in a book I'm reading. Might as well be Liechtensteinian for all I know...

'Cooper's replacement loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth,got pulled and the new pitcher just gave up a grand slam.All of a sudden,Cal State's three-up has turned into a walk-off one-down.'
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Makes perfect sense to me.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Best I can do is that it's probably about baseball (not into sports).
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I can understand...most of it ^_^;> ...I think.

Baseball game very nearly at its end -- the bottom of the 9th inning is the final "period" of the game. Cooper was the starting pitcher; his replacement pitched in such a (poor) way as to put opposing players on all three bases, making it more likely that they could score. Thus, the replacement pitcher was promptly replaced; that guy threw a pitch which resulted in the batter scoring a home run with all 3 bases loaded (a grand slam -- 4 runs/points).

I think the last statement is saying that Cal state was winning by 3 runs, and now they're losing by 1 run. Because it's the bottom of the 9th, Cal State's opponent has won the game, as CS can no longer score.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

For Kit-Ginevra:

Casey at the Bat by Ernest Lawrence Thayer
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            For Kit-Ginevra:

Casey at the Bat by Ernest Lawrence Thayer
            And "Casey's Revenge":

https://www.csh.rit.edu/~kenny/poetry/kcrev.html
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I'll do you one better.

Watch this. It's exactly what happened.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm not into sports at all, but that's baseball. Give it another generation or two and most American kids probably won't be able to translate it at a glance anymore, though.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  I'll do you one better.

Watch this. It's exactly what happened.
                  But it's definitely not this:

"Who's On First"
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                  X