Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Unemployment Counselor DOESN'T GET IT (a rant)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found another one on the state job website that looks good, but I can't find out where the company is located! This is so, so, so frustrating! I could apply anyway, sure, but then if they call me for an interview and it turns out it's in a suburb I can't get to, I won't even be able to do the interview. I HATE when companies do this. Stop treating your location as a big secret. If you can list the name, you can list the address.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      I had one of those once...not only did she not understand my skills/field at all, when she found out I got to a second round of interviews by myself she took it upon herself to hassle the hiring manager almost weekly. I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't hear back...she also went to the first interview with me and all but took it over (when I paused for a second before answering a difficult question, the counselor started giving me this overly-expectant look from eight inches away which had the effect of making me more nervous)
      That bitch should have been fired. On both counts. There is no need for her to have gone to the interview with you or to hassle the company 'on your behalf'.

I no longer give Centrelink the complete info for the jobs that I apply for because some nosy ass called up the temp agency that I had literally signed up with the day before I had to hand in the info. The agency called me a few days later to complain about Centrelink calling them to find out what jobs they were putting me forward for. I was so fucking embarrassed because I was definitely not telling the agencies that I was on benefits. It was not info they needed. Never did get any work from them.

Instead, I label the companies. Company A, Company B, Temp 1, Temp 2, Direct A, etc. They get nothing and I keep the log book at home with the matching info. All Centrelink wants to see is a filled in log book. Now everything is online, so I don't even have to do that anymore.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

MoonCat can I suggest documenting skills are useful here especially if a)they are monitoring jobsearch activity and b)it may affect benefits if they think you havent done it satisfactorily. So if you're told to apply for an unsuitable job note it-'Told to apply for job at XYZ Widgets.Pointed out there is no public transport to site.Told to apply anyway'. Then if you get any comeback you have it in writing that you actively seeking a job and that the job centre is not helping you find achievable positions....

That worked well for me when I was told to apply for a job with catering experience.My cooking is throw pasta and contents of cupboard into pan and see what emerges.Their solution-apply for it anyway and then at theinterview tell them you have not got the qualifications needed...😕
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
          That bitch should have been fired. On both counts. There is no need for her to have gone to the interview with you or to hassle the company 'on your behalf'.
          I never had any proof that she did this, but given how far I had gotten it was a decent bet. She may have been allowed to attend the initial interview because I was working with a disability agency, but IIRC doesn't the interviewee have to request their presence? I could also see how a coach being present might say to an employer 'this person needs their hand held'.

Even though she had nothing to do with my landing the short-lived job with The Jerk a year later, somehow she called him after I was fired--for knowing what I was doing--and wanted to know why...Jerk proceeded to badmouth me in every way possible on speakerphone (I don't think he knew I was listening; if I had known then what employers could and couldn't say...). Luckily I got out of dealing with that agency soon afterward when their leadership changed for the weirder and my primary caseworker retired--I suspect she didn't like the way things were going.
          Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          I was told to apply for a job with catering experience.My cooking is throw pasta and contents of cupboard into pan and see what emerges.Their solution-apply for it anyway and then at theinterview tell them you have not got the qualifications needed...
          That can work...but only if the skills required for the position are vague enough and the hiring manager can think outside the box a bit. I got my current position because while I'd never worked in grocery per se, the hiring manager felt that my overnight duties at the time (pricing) did fall under that umbrella and the rest of my skills were applicable.
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
          X