Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tax Free Weekend! Share Your Horror Stories Here!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Free Weekend! Share Your Horror Stories Here!

Other than being long and really, really noisy, my Friday, Saturday and Sunday shifts for Tax Free Weekend here in Florida were not so terrible. However, I KNOW some of you weren't so lucky.

Regale us with tales of Tax Free suckitude!
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

I was WAY so lucky this year! My state decided to do away with tax-free weekend, which sucks for the customers, but good for us. We just had a bigger sale than usual.

Comment

That actually sounds like it would be really good for the customers. I imagine that any sale would have been better than the paltry 7% sales tax they saved down here and went crazy over.

Guess if you think you're screwing the government, it's a big deal...

Comment

Not really a horror story, but did have to deal with many people who don't understand that tax free weekend doesn't apply on merchandise sold at entertainment venues. A small dash of suck amongst those, who felt that continuing to argue after having it explained to them would somehow magically net them a bargain deal.

Comment

Although i work at Big Box Mart*, i'm lucky enough to be an overnight stocker, so for the most part it didn't effect me. Sure, way more customers getting in the way, but no real issue aside from the discarded merchandise, Sat night i filled a damn cart in just two aisles.

*http://www.jibjab.com/originals/big_box_mart
          Last edited by Javarod; 08-04-2014, 04:41 PM. Reason: Forgot the footnote
          Seph
          Taur10
          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I heard they do something like that in Iowa. Don't understand why a State would want give up the tax revenue since they always find something new and interesting to spend your money on.
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
              I heard they do something like that in Iowa. Don't understand why a State would want give up the tax revenue since they always find something new and interesting to spend your money on.
              I understand it, but i don't get it. Think of it like the loss leaders at your store, you know those impossibly good deals. The idea is to get you into the store when you might not otherwise go in the hope that you'll buy stuff that is profitable to them, in this case, not part of the tax free weekend. That or you'll make other stops where they'll get tax, such as grabbing a meal out, picking up gas, and so on. I suspect most people exercise enough control that the extra purchases don't make up for the lost revenue though.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

The day before that happened, I went shopping for groceries. I also bought two tshirts while there. I was not worried about the 1.38 tax. If I had the money I would have gone and did some shopping. But its not a big deal to do it later.

Only weird suck I had was when someone was returning something, they didn't get the full amount on their receipt. That happened twice with me.

Comment

While I did go shopping at the store the days of the tax free weekend, I didn't buy anything that was tax free during it. I did that before the weekend, because the $9 I paid in taxes is peace of mind of not having to deal with being shoved around in the tax free portions of the store!

It was already crazy enough, being the first weekend of the month!
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I remember in past yrs when NC still had tax free weekend people arguing with me. Some just did not get that not everything was tax free. We did not have any control over what the state considered tax free.
                    "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Tax Free Weekend: When customers will mob to buy a TV for 6.5% off that they wouldn't buy for 25% off.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Oh, goody! A 6 or 7 percent off sale! That should send the customers into a Black Friday-like shopping frenzy when most of the time, they would barely tend to notice 10-percent-off sales. But someone puts it down as "tax-free day" and watch them turn into a shopping blur!

Comment

I went into the evil happy face the sunday night of the tax holiday and the school supply section looked like it'd been looted. No crayons to be found. Weirdest damned thing.
                          you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

I don't have any horror stories to tell, although when I went to the mall the Sunday of it was PACKED even BEFORE the stores opened. All I wanted to do was get some lunch.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

We had a few customers who didn't seem to understand that toys, and candy, were not tax free. Other then that, no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X