Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Unemployment Counselor DOESN'T GET IT (a rant)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unemployment Counselor DOESN'T GET IT (a rant)

"Have you researched any companies?"

Uh, no? How do I pick a company? I could spend DAYS doing that. Shouldn't I have a particular opening in mind first?

"Have you applied anywhere?"

Also no, because I haven't found anything that I qualify for that I can actually GET TO. There was one opening that I would have applied for but apparently the BUS COMPANY DOESN'T GO THERE.

"The bus company website is great for finding out how to get to a place."

NO IT'S NOT. If you can't figure out EXACTLY how they word a particular location or address, you get an error message (and I always get a thing asking me if I'm looking for someplace in Niagara Falls. Why N.F., I have no idea). I just Google the address and the info I get there is usually better, except that they often overlook the easiest and fastest way to get to a place, and give some goofy convoluted route that involves two buses, a train, 15 minutes of walking and a yak.

But hey, dude who drives to work knows better than I do, right...?

Oh, and suddenly, I'm required to PUT IN 3 APPLICATIONS PER WEEK. Excuse me, where does it say that on your site? Because that's not what I remember reading. It said 3 job search activities per week, done on 3 different days. That's not the same thing.

Also, NO, I cannot apply for the sales job at [local IT company] because, contrary to your poor reading comprehension skills, it does not say "Bachelor's Degree preferred...which means they don't require it"....it says "Required: Bachelor's Degree, preferably in [blah blah 3 specific fields...]"

It's very easy for someone who HAS a job to say that I need to look outside of my old job criteria, and take anything that's offered regardless of how much it pays. I already know I need to look at different types of work, but I have no idea WHAT KIND of work, and I can't accept a job that pays, say, $10.50 an hour because it won't pay the bills. How am I supposed to replace the $200-$300 a week I'd be losing?

There is this ridiculous concept of putting in applications just anywhere, just to fulfill the requirements of the work search. But then after a certain amount of time passes, the site says you are required to take any job you're offered. So it doesn't make sense to put in for a job that you know you can't do (something the job counselor last week specifically said not to do) or one that pays significantly less than you can afford to live on.

I didn't bother certifying for benefits for the last 3 weeks because I know I didn't fulfill the requirements. This week I had the one meeting today, and there's a job fair at the library on Wed. I can also go back to the career center for resume help, because that counts toward the required activities. But I still have to find 3 jobs that I can at least partly qualify for, that I can get to, and apply for them. I will probably not even bother trying to get unemp. benefits for this week, either.

I know I have to apply in order to get a job. I just feel really, really lost.

TL, DR: Job searching is a major PITA esp when you haven't done it in 40 years.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 06-26-2018, 11:56 PM.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Yup, the system is specifically designed to force people out of the aid programs entirely. That's why I recently saw an article (from a large publication that should know better) claiming that the US has "full employment"... anyone who wants a job has one" (even if it's not enough pay to live on). Because if they can force people out of the unemployment agencies with impossible requirements, then they can pretend those people don't exist anymore, or at least "don't really want a job".

Comment

<mod hat on> Just keep it to a dull roar, guys If you feel like going into actual debate and/or politics territory (as opposed to venting, which we welcome), take it to Fratching and drop a link in here.

<mod hat off> Yeah...Part of the thing is, the UE statistic that comes out first of the week or so does NOT include a number of people. To the best of my knowledge (please correct if inaccurate), this includes, but is not limited to: Teenagers who are old enough to work, but are below a certain age; people who are provably Disabled (whether they're on Disability or not) -- referred to as "not able-bodied"; retired individuals; anyone who has been in the UE system for at least six months, regardless of status. A more accurate number is usually released later each week, but is normally disregarded by the press.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Last I heard, which was a long time ago, the official unemployment numbers in the US only counted people who were actively looking for work. And who did not meet other criteria, such as EricKei mentioned. I always thought that was an odd way to measure....
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
          Last I heard, which was a long time ago, the official unemployment numbers in the US only counted people who were actively looking for work.
          Not to mention "officially" looking for work... but anyway, that's my point.

Comment

Yeah, my understanding is that they don't count people who've basically fallen off of the unemployment rolls.

Comment

Pretty much. The UE numbers released on Monday mornings are supposed to be approximations, and (AFAIK) do not include many people. The news agencies (and others) normally jump on these numbers because they're the ones that look the best. The actual calculated, more-inclusive number comes out a few days later and is more accurate. Also, it's generally 6-10 points higher.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Holy crap, MoonCat, I can't offer anything but sympathy and empathy, for what either of those are worth. I've applied for UI benefits but of course I'm getting early Canada Pension so that's definitely gonna cut into my UI benefits -- please note: I am not complaining about this, but so far all I've gotten is two letters telling me what they will be deducting (before I get any idea what, if anything, I'll be getting ...)

I at least have a car but still ... am applying like mad to anything that sounds even remotely possible, but getting *crickets* back.

And yeah, some UI 'counsellors' haven't got a clue what it's actually like trying to find work.

Wishing you all the best and a successful job hunt.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

MC, I forgot you don't have a car. When I didn't I had that conversation with people ad nauseam. That and the "I'm not qualified" or "I can't live on that" debates. I don't ask for job hunting advice anymore but sadly you have to go through this with the unemployment people. I don't get the 3 different days thing, either. That's more time and resources if you think about it. That's energy arranging transportation for three days if you have to go somewhere. I mean, someone might have a bus pass, but still it's someone telling you how to spend your time. That doesn't sit right with me. Your job becomes fulfilling some arbitrary requirement rather than procuring work. I've so been there with not having looked for work in a long time and not having a car and not having the degree. I was there right before I got this job. Fortunately I received a charity car because I wouldn't be able to get home without it.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

And yeah, some UI 'counsellors' haven't got a clue what it's actually like trying to find work.
                    The Disability determination people are worse. Trust me >_>

----

Moi: *lays out physical limitations such as how long I can stand up, how much (little) I can lift, etc, my background in IT, yadda yadda*

Disability assessor: *points out the alleged 200 available grocery store jobs within a 15-minute drive (I doubt my entire town has 200 TOTAL grocery store jobs, let alone open ones), including stocker positions and cashier positions requiring standing for extended periods of time*

Moi: *objects to former due to "I can't lift 20 lbs" and the latter due to "I can't remain standing that long"*

DA: *Claims that no business, anywhere, would object to letting me take a break to LIE DOWN on the clock for 15 minutes every hour or so, nor that they should have any problem setting up a bench or similar accommodation for that purpose*

Moi: *brain has BSOD error, rebooting...* *looks to disability lawyer for assistance, to no avail*
                    Last edited by EricKei; 06-27-2018, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      I had one of those once...not only did she not understand my skills/field at all, when she found out I got to a second round of interviews by myself she took it upon herself to hassle the hiring manager almost weekly. I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't hear back...she also went to the first interview with me and all but took it over (when I paused for a second before answering a difficult question, the counselor started giving me this overly-expectant look from eight inches away which had the effect of making me more nervous)
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

When Unemployment figures were spiralling upwards over here a few years back, they started trimming them in much the same way as was described earlier in the thread - disability, "long-term" unemployed, halves of recognised couples even if there was no reason for them to need to be "stay-at-home", that sort of thing. One comedy show explained that if the figures still continued to climb, the next way to massage the numbers would involve leaving out anyone with a name that sounded like a job - Baker, Butcher, Thatcher...
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

So I went to the job fair and it wasn't a total waste of time. I applied for a senior page job at the library just because (a) it would be a stop-gap position and (b) BOOKS! It's only part time, too, but at least that would leave me time to search for something else. It doesn't pay well, and they will probably be scared off by the hourly rate I used to earn.

The other thing I applied for was at a local business college. They had two possibilities, but the one I liked better (call center work) is in a suburban campus that would take me over 2 hours to reach by bus, and I don't think that bus line even has a morning departure. So I applied for the admissions rep job instead. Again, they want a degree, but whatever. The lady at the job fair table asked for my resume up front, and then I did the application online.

Yay, now I need to find one more thing to apply for so Mr. Job Counselor doesn't flip his shit when I tell him I didn't apply for the two things that HE thinks I could do.

Comment

It'll probably count, job-search-wise, if you apply for jobs which are somewhat outside of your qualifications. Also, you might be surprised who might accept you. For instance, if it says a BA is required for a job, but you have a lot of applicable job experience, and the position has been sitting open for a while, the employer might actually bite.

Comment

You should look for jobs that you are under qualified for. Apply for them to meet your three applications per week requirement.
                              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                              Save the Ales!
                              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                              X