This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We cannot accept that...

I'm watching SCO and am summoned over to one that is a known problem. The lady literally summoned me over with that finger-wag and "you come here now, boy" intonation of "excuse me" that pisses me the hell off.

When she tells me "I pay with EBT" I think I know the problem; the left side of the pinpad is not working so one cannot select "EBT FOOD" at all (no corresponding button on the keypad). I ask to see her card. She pulls out a paper photocopy of the card with the name conveniently absent...
    Me: "I can't do anything with this. If you don't have the card you are breaking the law."
    SC: "You help me!"
    Me: "I can't do that here, come over to the service desk." *suspends transaction and herds SC over to the desk*

A manager can manually enter an EBT card number in the case of a magstripe failure, but we must have the physical card. IIRC it's also against the rules of the program for a recipient to use anything other than the physical card.

I quickly explain to C on the desk what the situation is.
    C: "I can't accept this, it's against the law. You must have the actual card."
    SC: "Your girl, she did this for me other day!"
    C calls Manager S down from the office. The two of us explain the situation.
    MS: "We cannot take this, it's illegal for us to accept it and illegal for you to have it. I need the actual plastic card or proof that the card is yours." MS was angling for a name the same way I was. SC is not taking the bait.
    SC: "Your girl here did this for me other day!" She gestures in my direction, trying to get me into this. No. I just work with these guys, I mean I wasn't even there!
    MS: "Who did this for you? What did their name tag say?" They would be in a shitload of trouble if ID'ed.
    SC is silent.

At this point I'm called away to deal with a legitimate problem, so did not see the ending...BUT I did see SC walk out with her groceries and a receipt so someone was bullied into breaking the law for her.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    .BUT I did see SC walk out with her groceries and a receipt so someone was bullied into breaking the law for her.
    Hopefully they didn't back down and she paid some other way when she saw they weren't falling for it.

Comment

I really hope db is right. This one sounds like the kind of cursetomer who would call the SNAP guys up to complain that the store tried to refuse her card just because she didn't have it with her (and then relented).
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

She probably paid another way; the capital-M Managers know the SNAP rules. This SC was probably trying to test the waters since she got away with it once.

If it was just a CDH dealing with her, I know one in particular would have keyed it in to "avoid a hassle"

Comment

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that she's *never* gotten away with it and was just lying -- It mystifies me to this day why people think that claiming "I got away with breaking the law in the past" is somehow a reason to intentionally break it now.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I wonder if SC was authorized to use it in the first place (or was the card even hers?). Even if the number is entered manually, the customer still needs a PIN to do anything.

Sooo many unanswered questions about this one...at least my hands are clean if anything comes up about it.

Comment

Personally, I'm betting that the mismanagement caved and let her do it.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Since the name is printed on the card, and is PART OF the card... having a photocopy with that missing is just a LOT suspect. (read: No way in hell is this legit) Not "No", not "Hell no", but "Security, we has a problem here, call the boys in blue."

Comment

Here in Virginia those cards don't have a name printed on them, just the numbers.

Yet another way they make enforcing the rules impossible: we aren't supposed to accept EBT except from the person the card was issued to, but we have no way of knowing who the card was issued to. And the pinpad doesn't tell us it's an EBT card until after the transaction is over.

Comment

Wait. How are you supposed...to...*brain goes FOOM*

Are you just supposed to TRUST the customers or something?!?

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Wait. How are you supposed...to...*brain goes FOOM*

Crotch 22 of "Ignorance of the LAW is..."
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Of course. You can always trust the customer to the wrong or illegal thing.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm always surprised-but-not-that-surprised when you tell a customer what they want is illegal.... and they don't even skip a beat in expecting you to do it anyway.
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Of course, because they know that they won't get in trouble. You will (at least more immediate, serious trouble).

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              She probably paid another way; the capital-M Managers know the SNAP rules. This SC was probably trying to test the waters since she got away with it once.

If it was just a CDH dealing with her, I know one in particular would have keyed it in to "avoid a hassle"
                              Since she SAID she got away with it once. I'd lay odds that she didn't actually. Don't we all know by now that one of the ploys of an SC trying to get their way is "They did it for me before!"?

Quoth Kristev View Post
                              Personally, I'm betting that the mismanagement caved and let her do it.
                              This one I kind of doubt. This is a government thing, stores get into BIG BIG BIG, like managers and the cashier who accepted it losing their jobs immediately and maybe facing charges and tens of thousands of dollars in fines levied against the store and the individual who did it kind of big trouble for that.
                              Last edited by Kittish; 01-22-2021, 02:07 PM.
                              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                              X