Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victory, when I first heard the story and they weren't sure where or when the game was going to be played, I kept yelling in my head "Detroit!" It's logical, even more than I realized, as it turns out. After a while, they started talking on air about Detroit being a possibility, with there being an advantage to that location since Fox cameras were already there for the Detroit game.

Kept thinking back to the game several years ago when the Chargers couldn't play a home game due to the wildfires, so they played their "home" game in Phoenix.

Detroit is the logical choice. U of M looks unlikely because the Giants, expecting to play in a dome, did not bring their heavy weather gear.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I agree with you, Jester. Detroit looks like the most likely option, even though I'd love to see it at TCF stadium. My friend has tickets to the game, and if it were outdoors, his wife wouldn't want to go, but I'd be more than willing to go in her place (I haven't been to a Vikings game since 1977 or 78' when they played at the old Met). That's one advantage of being an ice fisherman, I've got plenty of warm clothing.

As for the weather. We didn't get nearly as much snow in central Minnesota as the Twin Cities got. We only got about 4 inches here, but with the wind, it sucked big time. We had some pretty good drifts at the gas station, and because of lack of business, we closed the restaurant part at 1, instead of 8. If there were no customers during the noon hour, when it's supposed to be the busiest, there was no reason to be open the rest of the day.

Right now (11 AM) it is -2 and it's supposed to get to a balmy 4 today.

I wonder how Irv is doing in Wisconsin? They got pounded with snow really badly.
      Last edited by Victory Sabre; 12-12-2010, 03:59 PM.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

This just in on the Vikings situation:

--Stadium crew still has not been able to set a timetable for when the Metrodome will be up and running again. Minnesota's Monday night game next week, their last home game of the year, may be in jeopardy.

--The University of Minnesota's stadium is no longer an option, as staff there has told the NFL the stadium has been shut down too long, and it would take a week to get it ready for an NFL game.

--Tomorrow's game will be played at Ford Field in Detroit.

Still A Customer."

Comment

At least now we know where and when the game will be played, and I'll be at my favorite bar watching it tomorrow night.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
            I wonder how Irv is doing in Wisconsin? They got pounded with snow really badly.
            Yeah. We did. It was hell just walking because of all of the ice. It's not as bad today as it was yesterday, but it is still slippery. I refuse to drive until Thursday.
            "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

The unofficial snow total from a location in town that may or may not be near me: 9.5 inches.

The bigger problem is it was all heavy, wet snow, on top of rain that froze to ice, and it's very windy so tree limbs and power lines are going down all over the place. And visibility was fuck-all most of the morning.

The snow's over now. The sun is trying to come out. Things should be pretty much back to normal tomorrow.
              Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I had customers all freaking night coming in asking if we were going to close early.

"No."

"Why not?"

*Me trying not to say something sarcastic* "We seem to have a surprising amount of customers."

"That's awful!!! I'm soooooooooooooooo sorry!"

*No, you're not.* <---what I was thinking.

A guy risked life and limb to buy fish food. And apparently he called in asking if we had some. How do you NOT know a day or two ahead of time that you need to buy food for your pet?!? I have to special order my cats' food, and I manage to not run out.

One of the guys that works for the village I work in offered to drive me home. I was scared to drive (my car is very low to the ground) but I didn't want to leave my car at work, not knowing when I could go back to get it, so he followed me home.

I got stuck in my apartment building's parking lot. Becks and her fiance helped me shovel and move my car so it wasn't literally in the middle of the lot.
                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

What Jester said, except add in the part where hubby and I are laughing at the people in the Chicago game who are doing more sliding than tackling.

Ok, so it's actually "cold" right now--highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s. We'll be back to the 70s by Wednesday though.

We are going to DIE when we move to Chicago or New York in a few years.

Hope ya'll stay safe.

Comment

We have a 42-inch TV on ad starting today. It comes with a free gift card with purchase.

We sold two of them this morning. Guess who ended up carrying them both out?
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'll take your 9.5 inches and raise you 18+ inches. The heart of the storm was right over northwest Wisconsin, and it raised slowly from 8-12 forecasted here to 12-14, to 12-18, to 18+. I don't know the official number yet, won't know until the 9:00 news.

I was stranded since Friday night at my bf's house. I left work and hauled ass as fast as possible home Friday night and got home just in time for the flakes to begin falling, bf was runnin errands and he picked me up and we got some food and went back to his place. All I had was my purse and over-night bag with basic things.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much because I was in a heated home and was able to use a shower, but I didn't have any clean clothes and I had to wear his clothes yesterday and sit in a house without cable or internet and hopelessly watch out the window as a TOW TRUCK got stuck trying to dig out one of the neighbors who was adament he was going to go somewhere and got stuck a block from home. My bf's dad has one of those obnoxiously large trucks, and he went to work yesterday, and he said that nearly everywhere but gas stations and Wal-Mart and K-Mart shut down, if not the entire day, most of it. He said on the way home, just about everywhere was closed, and there were vehicles in the ditch every stretch of mile after mile.

I got back tonight, and they only plowed a way to get in and out. Almost everyone's vehicles are plowed in, so you have to shovel. A snow drift was covering the entire driver's side of my car, and then there was a pile from the plow on the other side, and my neighbor backed in so cock-eyed that if I back up any direction but totally straight, I'm going to hit his car.

You don't even want to know what it looks like here. Piles of snow that were half-assed plowed (finally today) are higher than mailboxes, almost so high you can barely see whose house is whose when you drive past. Because they waited until the whole thing was over, under all that snow is ice.

I don't want to go to work tonight.

FUCK YOU MOTHER NATURE I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR SHIT!
                      Last edited by blas; 12-13-2010, 01:28 AM.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

well I am in between Irv and Blas and we got 12 inches with a 50mph wind. I have 4 or 5 foot drifts in my backyard (not that I care) and cute snow curls and shaped "drifts" on the roofs.

BUT the city in its infinite wisdom STILL will not plow the streets (mine and two others that parrallel the HS) around me until the very last minute. which means it is a real bear to get out of driveway and street. RIGHT NEXT to the HS DAMN IT!!!!! My landlord could not get into work this morning cause I offered to giver her a ride but I got stuck right out of our driveway. took me a half hour to get unstuck. I didi manage to get out briefly this afternoon. at least driving on Monday night will be a little better because they will have cleared most of the streets.

It ios past midnight and still no street clearing in my little area
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

RM, it's about the same here. Plowed somewhat, though, but no salt yet. One of those cute snowdrifts buried the top of my car. The only thing I like about winter is my coat (I likes my puffer).
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

RM, one of the harbingers of the apocalypse happened where I live.

The street I live on never gets plowed. Or, as Becks put it, they plaw but the blade isn't all the way down.

Today, the city plowed our street. Twice. But only one block of it. When you get to the end of the block going south, you run into snow.

Looks like I'll have to take the long way to work.
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Yesterday as I was leaving for the bar to watch football, I was totally comfortable in shorts and my football jersey. How nice was it? People were laying out at the pool. It was officially Bikini Weather. I know this because there was a hot chick in a bikini laying out.

Yes, I suck. Your point?

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                              We are going to DIE when we move to Chicago or New York in a few years.
                              WHY would you do that to yourselves?!?!?

EDITED TO ADD:
                              Y'all will be happy to know that the temps here have dropped into the low 60's, and are supposed to drop into the low 50's tomorrow. And my bar's Christmas party is scheduled for tomorrow night. No problem, we always have it inside at our bar, right? Well, this year, management decided to have it at another bar. An outdoor bar. An outdoor bar on the harbor. Great......
                              Last edited by Jester; 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                Y'all will be happy to know that the temps here have dropped into the low 60's, and are supposed to drop into the low 50's tomorrow. And my bar's Christmas party is scheduled for tomorrow night. No problem, we always have it inside at our bar, right? Well, this year, management decided to have it at another bar. An outdoor bar. An outdoor bar on the harbor. Great......
                                Jester, this is what you get for gloating.

Today's High: 72F
                                Tuesday's: 76F
                                Wednesday:78F!!

Yes folks you read that right, 10 days before Christmas and the temperature is supposed to be almost 80!!!!

I'm not gloating, though I am glad I don't get snow in TX, I'm just informing.
                                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
                                X