X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusment from the last week....

Aliases

Last night Red and I went out to dinner after I finished work. And I needed a drink. Not wanted. Needed. Computers had gone down at The Bar for an extended time, the bartender after me was on her first day off of training, meaning I had to stay later (though I expected this), and the computer thing had everyone on edge and testy. So when we were out later and I actually started rattling my platter on the bar with nervous pent-up energy and frustration, Red agreed that I NEEDED a shot.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. We walk into the restaurant, and the place is packed. I walk immediately to the bar, where we always sit, and somehow miraculously immediately find two open stools down by the service bar end of the bar, apparently just vacated by the previous diners. We snatched the stools quickly, and when the bartender came up and asked us if we needed drinks, I said, "Yes--I'll take the biggest funnel of beer you have!" Not missing a beat, the bartender said, "Well, we don't have a funnel. How about a large, and I keep them coming?" Red and I knew immediately we'd like this chick!

Things just got more amusing. Although they were knee deep busy, our bartender and the other one were enjoying the hell out of themselves, and when I mentioned that they and both of us were "the people of the boring names," they decided to adopt alternative names, dubbing themselves "Shanaynay" and "Shaquonda." Being in the mood I was in, I jumped right in, introducing them to Red as "Marisol," and myself as "Hassan Al-Akbar." I then theorized that in the summer, I get dark enough to get people actually believe that is my name. I decided, loudly, that "Hassan Al-Akbar" was my new terrorist name.

I told you....I needed that shot! (The lamb was really good, too.)

Greatest Comment of the Week

A group of about 8 was in The Bar, and six of them decided to have one of our gallon bucket drinks. (Yes. Gallon. Bucket. Drink. Great concept, huh?) And the six of them suck this thing down in record time, in one fell swoop. This drink is equivalent to over 10 cocktails. This is not for the faint-hearted (or faint-livered), but at least there were six of them. (In four years of working at The Bar, I have seen exactly four people drink this bucket unassisted. An impressive feat that one day I hope to accomplish myself.)

Very shortly after sucking it down, one of the party goes to the men's room. Upon his return, he loudly utters, "I just threw up...and it tasted great!" We all cracked up! I was speechless at first. This was the oddest thing I've heard in a long time.

And the funniest part was that he was serious. He turned down mints and other such items, declaring that the taste of pineapple juice and orange juice was awesome. And he had one of the most content looks on his face of anyone who's just puked that I've ever seen. And he wasn't even drunk....he was just happy.

Changing Their Religion

(No, Michael Stipe, this is not about you. Go back to Athens and ask Kenneth for the frequency.)

A couple walks into The Bar last week, and they seem very excited. When I start talking to them, I discover that they had been looking for this one particular rum for the last year, and that they had been emailing us and found out we had it, and they couldn't wait to have that rum. Being a rum guy myself, I could relate. So I asked them which rum was the object of their year-long odyssey. "Mount Gay Vanilla. Do you have it?"

I turned around, reached over the bar, and nimbly pulled out the blue-labeled bottle they had quested for. "Woo hoo!" they exclaimed. I asked, "So you really like vanilla rum, huh?" "Yep!" "Well," I continued, "I'm about to change your religion." They looked at me quizzically.

I turned around again, grabbing a different bottle. "This is Brinley Gold Vanilla, from St. Kitt's. It is the greatest vanilla rum ever, and perhaps the best flavored rum in the world, in my humble opinion. The Mount Gay Vanilla is nice, but this blows it away." The looked at me like I was Judas himself, come to betray them to the Romansfor thirty pieces of silver. Clearly they doubted my words.

I grabbed four shot glasses and suggested a side-by-side comparison. Being adventurous (if doubtful) souls, they agreed to it. I pour a small taste of each of the vanilla rums into the shot glasses, one of each for each of them. First, I had them taste the Mount Gay Vanilla, their old friend. Their eyes lit up at the taste, apparently reminiscing about the first time they had tasted it. "This is lovely." Obviously they thought this rum was incomparable. They were, however, mistaken.

Looking skeptical, they then raised the taste of the Brinley Gold to their lips. Ad upon tasting it, their eyes went wide in pure and utter astonishment. THIS was vanilla rum from the rum gods themselves! I know that's what they were thinking, or something comparable to it, because that is what *I* thought the first time I tasted it. Unlike the clear Mount Gay Vanilla, Brinley Gold Vanilla is dark brown, the actual color of real Tahitian vanilla, with which the Brinley is made. And to those who like vanilla, rum, and vanilla rum, the taste of the Brinley is a revelation.

Their initial looks of doubt and skepticism changed to looks of awe and wonderment. "So," I asked, "which one would you like?" Without hesitation, they both ordered the Brinley. "We doubted you," he said, "but you were right. You've changed our rum religion. Thank you, Jester. Thank you!"

As they were enjoying their newfound love, Boss Man wanders up. I tell him that I've just "changed someone's religion," and he chuckles, until I tell him I'm dead serious, and that he should go talk to these fine folks. He does, and it turns out that he is the one that the guy had been emailing for the last year, searching in vain as he was for the Mount Gay Vanilla. The couple sing my praises to my boss, for which he promptly fires me, as he always does when people compliment me to him. (It's tradition, you see.)

After the guy finished his Brinley, he wistfully asks if he can have a shot of the Mount Gay Vanilla, "for old times' sake." Smiling, I pour him a shot, empathizing with him. "Sometimes, it's hard to say goodbye to an old love. But it's good to move on." He nodded agreement to my analogy, knowing that it was true, but also knowing he had found a new love. And, while the Brinley would itself be hard to find back home, it had another benefit over the Mount Gay Vanilla--Mount Gay had discontinued production of their Vanilla rum. Brinley had no such plans for theirs.

And so I continue on, educating, enlightening, and changing religions, all in the name of rum. It's times like this that I truly love my job. How sweet it is. How truly rummy and sweet it is.
    Last edited by Jester; 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Now I have a new rum that I need to try, hopefully I can find it some place around here but I'm kind of doubtful.

Comment

Oh, man, vanilla rum sounds tasty. Sadly, I checked the liquor stores near me and none of them carry any vanilla rum. Some other stores in the city do, but none carry the Brinley Gold. I can special order it, but I have to order six bottles. Which I seriously considered doing, but I cannot afford it.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
        I can special order it, but I have to order six bottles. Which I seriously considered doing, but I cannot afford it.
        Personally I'd post on craigslist or ask around(friends, family, and coworkers) and see if I could find anyone to go in on the probable case with me.

also I just did a google shopping search and found it by the bottle(average price $28 with shipping) from several online retailers. You just need to show proof of age upon delivery-the internet is a wonderful thing my friend.
        Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 02-17-2011, 01:10 AM.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
          (average price $28 with shipping)
          Where were you looking? The cheapest I found with shipping was about $38, and more than half of that is the shipping! I don't know about you, but I'm not willing pay more to get an item, any item, to me than I am to get it.

My current plan is to see if I can talk my friends into splitting a case with me.

Comment

Quoth Solumina View Post
            Now I have a new rum that I need to try, hopefully I can find it some place around here but I'm kind of doubtful.
            I'll tell you what I tell all the customers who ask me where they can find a certain rum near where they live--after I tell them I have no idea, since I don't live there.

Seriously, find a local liquor store that does more than just the basics, such as Bacardi, Captain Morgan, and Malibu for rum. You know, a place that has various liquors you may not have heard of.

See if they can order it in without making you buy an entire case.

Or check online, as others have already said they can do.

Oh, man, vanilla rum sounds tasty.
            It is, though most vanilla rum is more of the mixer variety, rather than for fine sipping (Cruzan and Bacardi, for example).

Some other stores in the city do, but none carry the Brinley Gold. I can special order it, but I have to order six bottles. Which I seriously considered doing, but I cannot afford it.
            The liquor store won't let you buy just one bottle? Lame of them. Six bottles of anything is a large commitment. Find a better liquor store somewhere in your vicinity. It may be a little further away, but most metro areas have at least one or two cool places.

also I just did a google shopping search and found it by the bottle(average price $28 with shipping) from several online retailers.
            $28 seems like a pretty good price for Brinley. I'd drop it in a heartbeat myself.

My current plan is to see if I can talk my friends into splitting a case with me.
            Oh lord. Please, don't. Try getting just one bottle first.

Why? It's not that I think you won't like it. It's not that I think your friends won't like it. The shit rocks. But there is a chance that your palate, or your friends' palates, won't agree with mine. Or that your tastes just differ. And if that happens, and y'all have gotten an entire case, not only will I feel guilty for it, you might resent me for it...or worse, your friends might resent you for it.

So please....for something you have never tasted, be it this rum or anything else, NEVER order an entire case. It's just not prudent.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              The liquor store won't let you buy just one bottle? Lame of them. Six bottles of anything is a large commitment. Find a better liquor store somewhere in your vicinity. It may be a little further away, but most metro areas have at least one or two cool places.
              I can't. I live in Pennsylvania, and all the liquor stores are run by the state. So. Damn. Annoying.

Although I did just remember that I pass, like, 20 liquor stores in Jersey between the bridge and my grandpa's retirement community, including, I believe, the biggest one in the state. New plan, go see grandpa and get liquored up! OK, not really, that would just be weird.

Yeah, I know the case thing was a bad idea. The real plan would have involved locating a bar where we could have sampled it first.

Comment

That sounds delicious. I googled it.

They make coffee rum. Coffee. Rum. I think I'm in love.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I can't. I live in Pennsylvania, and all the liquor stores are run by the state. So. Damn. Annoying.
                  That sucks.

Although I did just remember that I pass, like, 20 liquor stores in Jersey between the bridge and my grandpa's retirement community, including, I believe, the biggest one in the state.
                  Start calling them or stopping by them as you pass by.

The real plan would have involved locating a bar where we could have sampled it first.
                  That would, of course, be the best plan for your initial taste. Barring that possibility, finding a liquor store where you can get just one bottle would be your next best bet.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  They make coffee rum. Coffee. Rum. I think I'm in love.
                  To be precise, they make vanilla rum, mango rum, coconut rum, lime rum, and coffee rum. I have sampled all of them but the coffee rum, as I don't drink (or like) coffee. Each of the four I have tried was the best version of that flavor of rum I have tasted. I imagine the coffee rum would be the same high quality and excellent taste as the other four.

I should point out that this is all they do. They don't make light rums, dark rums, black strap rums, or any other rums but their five flavored rums. This is their specialty, and they do it better than anyone else, at least in my humble opinion.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    To be precise, they make vanilla rum, mango rum, coconut rum, lime rum, and coffee rum.
                    They appear to make a spiced rum now as well.

Comment

Where were you looking? The cheapest I found with shipping was about $38, and more than half of that is the shipping!
                      shipping to you in PA is $13-rum is 19.99 at queen anne wine
                      Shoppers vineyad has it for $16.99 with $14 shipping.

and I've paid over $30 in shipping for $20 items, because well I'd rather have the item I bought arrive in one piece, I'm funny like that.

UPS Ground is pretty close to flat rate, usually $13-$15 for just about anything. Heck even priority mail(if it were offered) would still be $10. Shipping is not cheap.
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

They appear to make a spiced rum now as well.
                        Oddly enough, I did not know about this until just last night. I stopped by my favorite liquor store to see if they had any new and exciting beers in stock, as they often do, and as I was perusing the rum aisle, as I often do, I noticed a label I was unfamiliar with. And upon closer inspection, discovered that it was the Brinley Shipwreck, their spiced rum. And about came out of my skin.

And wouldn't you know it? The guys at the front desk (one of whom knows me well enough that when I call the liquor store, he simply answers, "Hi, Jester.") had a bottle open for samples, and gave me a small shot to try. (I did say it is my favorite liquor store....) Very nice, perhaps one of my favorite spiced rums, besides Kilo Kai, of course. Definitely one of the better ones on the market.

Still A Customer."

Comment

and I've paid over $30 in shipping for $20 items, because well I'd rather have the item I bought arrive in one piece, I'm funny like that.
                          I've yet to run in to anything that I want that much.

Comment

Jester,

It may interest you to know that I just special ordered a bottle of brinley gold vanilla based solely on this thread. Ordered from one of the better stocked liquor stores in my area. Should be in sometime next week.
                            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              That sucks.
                              As another PA resident, I can honestly say, "Yes, it does." Since the state runs it, what you find in one store is what you'll find in all the others -- price-wise and selection-wise. It's not like other stores where if one store doesn't carry it, another one might; And if you don't like the prices, you can try another store. What one store has, all the others have.

If you're near the state line, you could cross it, and maybe find better prices or selection. But if the cops catch you doing it, they'll arrest you. Sometimes PA cops even sit in the parking lots of liquor stores that are just across the state line to try and bust people.

Any other thoughts I have on this subject belong on Fratching. If I get off my lazy ass, I might start a topic there.
                              Last edited by MadMike; 03-05-2011, 07:16 AM.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X