This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Could Cause a Global Disaster

My husband is reading the worst book EVER. It doesn't make any sense. The plot holes are legion and Cyclopean in scope. The main guy's sword is made of "adamantine" (seriously) which for some unexplained reason you can only get after killing a hundred men.

The author even uses words when he obviously doesn't know what they mean. Example: "She looked invigorated by the pallor of her face." WTF? And no, it's not self-published!

I am all for sword-n-sorcery ridiculousness, but this is just...badly executed, poorly planned and painful to hear when Husband reads me parts of it.

I have actually asked him not to put this book on the shelf with our other books, lest its suckiness bleed into our other titles. And then, when when we move, we'll rearrange our books and then they'll all become contaminated, and then we'll lend them out and borrow others and...within a few years, every book in the world might be corrupted with suckiness.

Surprisingly, all the reviews for this book are positive. Husband said that as he reads on, it's getting better...but that's relative considering how horribly it began.

And yet I, with my coherent sentence structure and knowledge of word definitions, can't find an f-ing agent to save my life.

Edit: I know words, but I can't spell. How do I change the thread title?
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 03-25-2011, 02:08 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

"She looked invigorated by the pallor of her face."
    Say what now?? You're right. That is crapola. And it got good reviews??

Sorry I don't know how to change thread titles. Not even sure if they can be changed.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

They can be changed by mods, if tell the mod what you want it to say and bring virgin sacrifices. (or is it just the typo?)

I'm so nice you can even leave out the sacrifice and I'll do it for free.

By the way, what is this sucky book? The line you quoted made my mouth actually fall open.
      Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 03-25-2011, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Seriously, its just mean to tell us about this horrible book, and then not even give us the title so we can avoid it/seek it as we choose.
        Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
        Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

Oh I agree...you gotta tell!
          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Seriously, must have the title.
            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Agreed. It is very much not nice to title-ate us like that!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

What the hell are you reading, 'The Eye of Argon' ?

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
                  What the hell are you reading, 'The Eye of Argon' ?
                  She didn't mention Grignr, so it could be something else....
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                    "She looked invigorated by the pallor of her face."
                    You know, I've been reading the wrong stuff recently. I already have three ways that sentence works.

The "she" is either:

a) A vampire
                    b) A zombie
                    or c) dead, and narrator is into necrophilia.

What? I've been re-reading Simon R. Green's Nightside series.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Thrall-Steven-...1083050&sr=8-4

I think the woman in question was some kind of warrior chick. People just keep coming out of the woodwork to try and kill this guy for no apparent reason.

Also, I will not take responsibility for what may happen to you if you choose to read this book, or for what may happen to your other books as a result of putting it on your shelf.

Comment

Sounds like they didn't really merit the services of a halfway decent editor.

Either that or it caused an editor to shit themselves and flee in terror.

Rapscallion

Comment

As I was clicking on the link, I no kidding was thinking, and I quote, "this book must be the literary equivalent of the "brown note."

And it's brown. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought so.

How fitting.

Comment

Since I'm unsure of the rest of the paragraph, she might have really been invigorated by her own pallor. Like "YAY! I is pale again!"

And what's wrong with a sword of admantine? Admantine weapons have been in fiction since ancient times. (Chronos did it with sickle to kill Uranas, and other greek heroes used weapons of it).

What else made the book crappy other then it's too much fantasy for your liking?
                            Military Spouse Support.
                            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Thanks for the info Plaidman- I wasn't aware of the historical uses of adamantine, I was thinking X-Men.

Oh, I love fantasy... I hate novels with enormous gaping plot holes, rotten dialogue, complete lack of explanation (like why you have to kill 100 men to get adamantine), and plain old bad writing.

Some of the reviews compare it to Robert E. Howard. In atmosphere maybe, but Howard was the far far far superior writer.

Comment

Working...
                              X