This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chutes and Ladders

Are there any words out there to describe how much I hate this fucking game?

At least it's the sort of game that if you play with a five year old, you can cheat enough to make it shorter.

Okay, it's a grid. You go left one row, right one row, left one row, right one row. While counting. And moving up and down the chutes and ladders. And counting.

Just FYI, Kink has issues with right and left. And up and down. And numbers.

And taking turns. Don't like games much cuz I can't remember who's turn it is. Even with just two players.

And there's no strategy. You could program a Tandy computer to play this fucking game. AND IT WOULD GET BORED.

And it goes on forEVER.

Who invented this damn thing? Are they in prison? Why not?

The original point was to teach children right from wrong. You do something nice - you go up a ladder. You do something bad, you go down a chute.

I don't think today's "PC" versions give that impression, I don't think they did when I was a kid.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Well, they kind of do, if you're using the little ladders the way they were intended. I use them to cheat like a mofo.

So maybe that whole "right-wrong" thing isn't working out in our house all that great.

Comment

But it's such a great song...

Comment

We have the Dora version... Woe unto them that cross our threshold and look like they have nothing to do, for they shall be imposed upon by a sweet little 4 year-old, her favourite boardgame and her stubborn refusal to accept anything other than the answer: "I'd love to play".
          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

No, there really is no strategy, is there?
            -Roll die
            -Move
            -If at base of ladder move to top
            -If at top of chute, move to bottom
            -repeat

Maybe add a house rule where you roll 2 dice and use 1 of them as your move? At least then there might be thinking involved.
            Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
            Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

I used to love that game (the board version) when I was real young (1960's). and it was fun to play when my nieces were young (mid 1970's) and when my daughter was young (late 1980s and early 1990's).

Candyland was another fun one since it taught colors, rudimentary counting and shape recognition ie cupcakes candy canes, etc. downside TOOOOOO much candy involved

I have not played it yet with my Grandson (not old enough yet) and if I do it will be the sit-down-at-the table-cardboard-with-a-box version of the game.

just like with Monopoly the board version is better since you can shape the game with reasonable "house rules"
              Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-26-2011, 08:23 AM.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

My daughter does not like to play any game where she cannot win.

She also hates playing games where she has to wait her turn.

Ergo, her solution to that is to play the board games all by herself.

I let her do it because it keeps her quiet and happy (is that bad of me?).

We have the Marvel Super Hero one. She likes to be Spider Man and Wolverine.

She has destoryed her candyland board game.

The one game she really really likes is one that my mother has: Snoopy's Dog House Game. You have to build Snoopy's Dog House. Whoever builds it first, gets Snoopy. All you do is spin the spinner and start from the floor up. Child Rum can play that thing for hours.

I preferred Big Bird's Nesticks. Kept me entertained for hours. I miss that game. Yes, I was weird.

Now I need to pull out all of our boardgames and start playing.

Anyone want to participate in a board game night?

Comment

Poor Kink.

And my understanding is that it's an ancient Indian game that originally was supposed to teach you about reincarnation. The British stole it and actually made it far easier. The original was truly near impossible to win. (IE the upper row was pretty much all chutes)
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

http://www.cracked.com/article_18995...tories_p2.html

Look at #1. It explains the point of the game marvelously.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                      You have to build Snoopy's Dog House.
                      It took me about four tries to read this correctly.

I kept reading it as "Snoop Dogg's house".

Comment

Okay, I loved these games as a young child, but wouldn't play them now...other than with a young child. Why? Just like much children's programming, it's designed for young children. In other words, mostly mindless.

No, there's no strategy. Why? Because 4 and 5 year olds really don't GET strategy, for the most part. Why do you think the card game War is (was?) so popular with kids, but not so much with adults. Because there is no strategy, no tactics. Just keep turning over cards.

The whole point to these games is for the child to have fun, and if you play these games with young children, your fun will come from watching the joy in their faces.

No, not everyone can do this. Obviously it drives Kink nuts. I can do this, but what I can't do, what I don't envy any parent, is some of the dumber children's programming. I'm not talking about Sponge Bob Square Pants, mind you (not my cup of tea, but not without its positives), but you'd literally have to hold a gun to my head to make me watch Barney, Teletubbies, or Blue's Clues, or anything like them. Sesame Street is cool. These shows....are not.

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                        The original was truly near impossible to win. (IE the upper row was pretty much all chutes)
                        THAT would be cool!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                          My daughter does not like to play any game where she cannot win.
                          Ooh, my nephew is like that. I played Operation with him last weekend (the Iron Man 2 version) and he kept changing the rules to be sure that he'd win. For example, he'd hit the side and say, "Oh, I get to try again!" Or try to move the pieces into a better position before actually going to get them. Little brat. (and I say that with love)

He's starting to learn basketball, so I was trying to teach him some basics. He doesn't have the arm strength to properly shoot yet, but I thought I could try to teach him a few of the rules. Nope! He'd make a basket, and I'd say, "Okay, that's my ball." "Nu-UH! Whoever makes the last basket gets to make another one!" Oh, and he complained when I was guarding him, "It's NOT FAIR! I can't shoot over you, you're too tall!" "Kiddo, your Mom is 5'2" and your Dad is 5'6". Get used to it!" And, of course, our game was interrupted by halftime, which was, "Hey, I'm gonna hide the basketball and you find it!"

*sigh* Kids!
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

The other links, to the lists of inappropriate toys and books for children, are equally hilarious.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                            X