Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm off the clock and don't even work over there, so I'm the rude one?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm off the clock and don't even work over there, so I'm the rude one?!

ASM called me in early yesterday. Usually there's a manager's swipe-card for the timeclock upstairs; there wasn't, so I had to pop down to the front end to find one. Note that I was only wearing my shirt, no apron and no nametag (I wasn't actually on the clock, and according to ASM if you don't have a nametag don't bother punching in until you get one). As I'm waving down a manager, an old lady starts pointing wildly toward the bake shop while trying to physically grab me. I'm off the clock and she has no way of knowing my name, so can and do pull away with a 'what the hell are you doing' look (I may have snarled at her, I can't recall). I did feel 'phantom ears' on my head go straight back O_o

OL: "Cake! I need a cake! You come help me in bakery!"
    Me: (as politely as I can given that she surprised me) "I'm off the clock right now [and you are preventing me from punching in], go to the service desk and ask them to page someone." If a customer is nice about it, I will go to the desk myself even if I'm off, but by laying hands on me and starting in with the demands she invalidated any help I might otherwise be inclined to offer.
    OL: "No! I need a cake! You help me!"
    Me: "I do not work over there. The desk can page someone."
    At that point I spot ASM so immediately dart over to get the card and book it back upstairs. OL doesn't try to grab me again, maybe because a lot of people are watching her.
    OL: "You're very rude!" (oh so you can form a full sentence...)
    She's gone by the time I get back on the floor; I forgot to ask if she had tried to complain.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Yeaaahhh....no. No grabby hands. It's just a damn cake lady! Calm down!

OK, I know you couldn't really say that to her, but the temptation must have been there. WTH is wrong with people like her?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      OL: "You're very rude!"
      Uh huh. She tries to grab you, barks demands at you without even a "please", and you're the rude one?! Gotta love those old SC double standards.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

MoonCat, since I wasn't on the clock and she had no way of knowing my name I probably could have mouthed off to her, although her complaint would have had to hit the 'right' person to go nowhere. When I'm not wearing anything that could mark me as an employee I usually give the idiots both barrels.

Of course, doncha know that anyone who doesn't drop everything to fawn all over them is rude and they're all sweetness and light because workers aren't supposed to say anything but yes (it's times like that I wish there was such a thing as physical shifting, sprouting fur and claws would clear the SCs out never to return )

I've also been asked to write on cakes...I guess technically I can write on a cake, but I can't guarantee the result will be pretty or even legible.
        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-18-2013, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          ...I guess technically I can write on a cake, but I can't guarantee the result will be pretty or even legible.
          Or edible in polite company... Look! If you turn it around, it spells... OMGWTFBBQ!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Trying to grab you? That's rude at the least.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Or edible in polite company... Look! If you turn it around, it spells... OMGWTFBBQ!
              I'd be more likely to go for "artistic (mis)representation", although I'm not sure whether a 2D or 3D cake would be better suited to creative concealment. Depends on what you're trying to hide and your skill level, I guess.

Maybe this is why I don't work in the bake shop...too tempting to get back at sucky cake customers (with the winners we get, I shudder to think what the 'fancy' bakery down the street gets to deal with).

Comment

Working...
              X