This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just happened

In the store that I work we have golfing equipment, we don't have as much as we used too but it's still a decent amount
    Me: trying to do my job
    Sc: complete prick
    Asm: fool at the best of times

Sc: "the golfing has really gone downhill they used to have so much more I'm so disappointed, won't be coming back here"
    Me: "oh excuse me I heard you talking bout the golfing products"
    They keep walking
    Me: "excuse me, I'm not being rude but <said store> has a pretty good golfing section now"
    Sc: " we don't have a computer so not interested"
    Me:" we'll that's okay as they have one in <nearest town to us>
    Sc: "I'm not interested and don't follow me around " this was said with us h venom!!! That I burst into tears "I'm going to have to talk to my manager about you" (a little background: in currently so unhappy at my workplace that I'm really stressed so any little thing gets to me
    The customer then comes in and complains to my asm about this
    She then goes to serve him and is all lovey dovey with him!
    Now I know you can't be mean to customers but if a customer has really upset an employee shouldn't you maybe stand up for them!? Instead of agreeing with him and saying you'll talk to me.....

If you're complaining about the store you're in and a sales associate steps in to try and resolve the complaint, that's the employee doing their job. The SC could have simply ended it with a polite "I'm not interested", but instead got a rude tone with the OP.

Perhaps in the future you could try saying something along the lines of "Are you finding everything you need?" or "Can I help you find a specific piece of golfing equipment?" Asking an open-ended question like that may seem less obtrusive and less pushy.
    Last edited by Dips; 06-20-2013, 07:59 PM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Thank you bhskittykat. Unfortunately we are pretty much forced to talk
      To every customer regardless of any comments. I have to say I did NOT harass anyone, simply was doing my job as we are told too. A simple "no thank you" would have sufficed and I would have backed away. My asm agreed that the customer made sure what he said was in ear shot. And I would certainly not be fired for doing my job.

Comment

Along with bhskittykatt's suggested phrasing, "Is there anything I can help you find?" and "Were you looking for something specific? Maybe I can help?" are good ways to sound helpful. Heck, you can do this even if the person hasn't said anything, but is just staring at an area as though looking for something.

The customer ignoring you was rude, yes. I'd have just chalked it up to them not really wanting help and left them alone. If they'd complained then about not getting any help and the ASM spoke to you, just tell the ASM that the customer behaved in such a way that you felt after offering the initial help, the customer would have considered it harassment if you'd pushed any further.

That aside, you need to find another job. This one seems a poor fit for you.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

The funny thing is, is he actually said to my asm that he was a little deaf and I wouldn't say I was following him like a list puppy as such, more like I ended up having to walk his way to get to my asm and thought well why not try and let him know. I see where both of you are coming from, and I think maybe I didn't explain myself all that clearly as it was more of a rant then anything!!

Comment

The problem here is you tried to help him find golfing equipment... maybe I'm just jaded... but the whole thing would have gone like this with me.

Sc: "the golfing has really gone downhill they used to have so much more I'm so disappointed, won't be coming back here"
            Me: "Oh, ok. Have a nice day!"

Comment

Working...
            X