This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It had already been a bad day...

So it's closing time on a Thursday, traditionally one of the easier night shifts of the week. I'd had an absolute nightmare of a day, so we want to be out in good time, no later than 10 past, and we're on track, when 3 people decided the best time of the whole 16 hours/day we're open is exactly 2 minutes before closing. On a good day I'm fine with it, on a bad day it irritates me.

1st guy is a regular. He looks permanently confused, and he has a habit of doing those tiny little things that piss you off... they don't really qualify as sucky, but they can grate sometimes. Anyway, he asks for £10 top up on network X and £5 on network Y. I could probably do this in my sleep, so I'm in auto-pilot running it through, paying just enough attention to see everything's in order, while also keeping an eye on the 2 girls who came in, all dolled up for a night out, I'm looking to decide if I should ID them.

So now the transaction is going through and I'm idling by waiting for the top-ups to print out, hand them over to him and (at this point I'm definitely on auto, because...) I grab the 3rd receipt (the card receipt, which this guy ALWAYS tells me to bin, and not politely) and screw it up, while he walks off and I start to serve the girls ID's and all, when he walks back over and claims I didn't give him the £10 top up, dropping a couple of F bombs to drive the point home. I looked at my hand, saw the crumpled paper, opened it up, nope, card receipt... I put it on the counter and check the rest of the counter, no more receipt paper there... I check the bin, one or two bits, just more card receipts... I apply Occam's razor, and deduce that he must in fact have it, there's no way I could have made it disappear... I ask him to double check his pockets... BIG mistake... the F bombs have become beard seeking missiles (apparently I need to fornicate whilst shaving).

I can't be bothered to argue, I re-print the receipt, it automatically reprints the whole transaction, copies of every top up and debit card receipt, and anything else the printer ejected, as well as an itemised receipt (which normally don't print out at all), I hand it over to him and he suggests I have a think about if I can do my job and wanders off mumbling something about breaking my teeth if it didn't work...

The girls were silent after that. I think my rage face may have slipped out.
    Shh! My Common Sense is tingling!

I think someone needs to apply Occam's Razor to this asshole's testicles. Preferably after it's become dull and rusty.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      I think someone needs to apply Occam's Razor to this asshole's testicles. Preferably after it's become dull and rusty.
      Agreed. Jerk walks in two minutes to close, is rude, foul-mouthed and threatening physical violence to you after you've had a long, difficult shift...and says you should "have a think about if you can do your job"? He should have a think about if he can be a decent human being or perhaps go back to the feces-flinging monkey tribe he obviously came from.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Its the threats of violence from customers that I have never understood. Really? You want to get into a physical altercation with me and risk jail time, and fines because you're unhappy about a $10 mistake that would be simple to fix if you'd just shut your fat gob for 10 seconds?

A few summers ago I worked at a summer camp for boys age 11-18. Part of EVERY meal was a song, which we encouraged everyone to join in on, at the end. I had an ADULT leader from one of the groups of boys threaten to beat up the 15 year old staffer who was trying to encourage the boys at his table to join in. Fortunately... my boss was there who had a cooler head than I did. I would have sent the jerk packing him the group he came in with, but my boss settled for having the adult apologize to the staff member in a very public forum (or we went back to my choice, LOL)

Comment

Um, wow. I can't understand when people do things like that. Why risk jail time over something so trivial. Sorry you went through that. That sucks.
          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Working...
          X