This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
    Has this rate/amount ever changed? I know for a fact that of the two times that I've run a tank to the point of being dry, neither vehicle would start back up again without at least 3 gallons of fuel. $10 would be cutting that awfully close.
    It's never more then just enough to get to the nearest gas station, roughly about 2 gallons. Pretty much always been that way.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
    Fixed it for you. Not the Bentley. The rubber bands for tires, I mean.
    What? That's what, one jerry can full? You should be able to carry that.
    I'll never understand low profile tires. They don't last in my own opinion and they cost an arm and a leg.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    Nobody has to pay $50 to get the check engine light checked. Auto Zone does that for free.
    My Driver even told her that! And he even said, give it a day and come in to our garage and have it looked at. We run about $35 for a check.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
    Ugh, I've been meaning to rant about motor club customers who don't understand what they've signed up for until they get in trouble and need us and then complain that it can't possibly be costing them ANYTHING since they have a motor club....

You do have a motor club, if you chose the cheapest level of service, they'll only cover you for basics (jumps, locked out, tire changes) or in case of complete breakdown, a tow to the nearest certified garage that can do repairs. If that garage is Jim's Corner Carbangers 2 miles away, then that's where they'll cover you to. If it's the nearest dealer because you're under warranty, that's where they'll cover you to. If you want to go someplace else, you'll have to pay for it.... You don't get to chose wherever you want to go, you don't get to go to your buddy Ed's garage 4 towns away for free, or to your home, that sometimes is in another STATE for free just because you have a motorclub card, unless you have the top tier service that will give you unlimited towed miles, but to get that you'd have to pay a LOT more each month that the piddly amount you pay for "cheapskate" coverage. And don't argue about it to me, I will NOT forge my paperwork to make it look like you went 2 blocks instead of 20 miles, and I won't "knock a little" off, THIS IS HOW WE GET PAID BY YOUR MOTORCLUB, if we lie about it, they'll cut us off for sure and I'm not losing our contract over your cheapness. Remember, YOU need the tow, I can just cancel it and go on to my next and get a $20 we-tried-to-help GOA fee paid to me if you refuse the terms of service. We've done it, don't tempt us again.

And in this day and age, where even the family hamster has a Facebook page, and even your coffee pot is GPS equipped, there is NO GODLY REASON IN THE NAME OF CELESTIA that you should answer the question of "what is your location" with "I don't know". FIND OUT AND DON'T CALL US UNTIL YOU DO!

You're making the rest of the species who learned how to keep from getting eaten until we got old and arthritic look bad!
    Seriously, amen. I swear I wish people would read what you wrote and take it to heart because it's all true. I cannot fathom how hard it is for people to even get OUT of their car and look for a mile marker that is every 10th of a mile on the turnpike because they don't feel like walking. Guess what? I can't help you then. "CLICK"

Quoth wolfie View Post
    The motor club you contract with seems to be a bit different from CAA. With CAA, the basic is "up to 25 km free". If the place you want is within 25 km, and involves going past half a dozen other places, you're covered. If the nearest place is beyond 25 km (e.g. highway breakdown), you pay for the excess mileage. The deluxe level is (I believe) up to 200 km.

Note that another thing some people don't understand is that you're covered for a maximum of 4 incidents per year. Also, it only applies to a car YOU are driving (owned, leased, or borrowed from a friend). Many years ago, a co-worker had a no-start condition when the shift ended, and the foreman knew I had CAA. He wanted me to call on behalf of the co-worker, but that's a clear case of the "F-word" (nope, not the one having to do with sex - it's the one associated with Bernie Madoff). Needless to say, I didn't call.
    Quoth Argabarga View Post
    We service about 8 motor clubs, but 99% of our calls collectively come from 3 that are well known nationwide organizations.

The cheapest most basic of these only covers you for 10 miles en route and 3 miles towed or the nearest garage, whichever is closer.

You are also covered in full for tire changes, jump starts, lockouts, out-of-gas calls, but, the 10 miles en route still holds, if you're more than 10 miles from us with a flat/dead battery, you owe out of pocket for any overage miles at a $1.50 per mile rate

Gas calls also add the curveball that you can only get 2 gal. max, and you owe out-of-pocket for the fuel at a hefty $5 per gal. rate. It's sometimes cheaper to just get towed to the nearest gas station since you're going there anyway.... and that's intentional to keep people from calling us to bring gas to their home for convenience's sake.

The other two big clubs work on total $ coverages, say covering you for $50, $100, $250 and everything we do, en route miles, towed miles, services performed, have a contracted rate (a basic tow may be, say, $30 for hook-up, $20 for dollies, plus $1.50 for every en route mile, and $2.25 for every towed mile ) and the total when you add it all up either goes over or stays under their coverage limit. They're much better options since they rarely go over and if they do, it's by less than $20.
    We do several clubs as well which work just like yours Argabarga and are based on a total $ coverage too. AAA in our area at least BASIC covers either 5 miles or to the nearest AAA garage for free. We also have only 4 incidents a year wolfie and that's one per disablement. If you take it to your house and not the garage, you won't get a second tow. PLUS covers 100 miles (4 times) and PREMIER covers the same as PLUS but there is a one time a year 200 mile tow. Our motor club covers whatever vehicle you are with as long as you are physically with it.

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
    I have a basic membership with the three letter club. Sometimes they really need to get their act together at the office. Called for a tow because of a sidewall blowout, driver shows up, authorized to take me to the nearest tire place. . I tipped him well (I hope)
    Most of the time the member has to know where they are going but the driver is responsible for his area (at least mine are). They should know what is open and what isn't. (They accept any dollar amount of tips. Most days it's only about the price of a pack of ciggs, on a good day $50 or more. depending on customers of course)

Comment

Quoth JarethsPet View Post
      Why? Because she thought we would be bringing out at COMPUTER tester to her car. A several thousand dollar piece of equipment to check why her car was acting up. The driver also told me that she didn't feel like she had to pay $50 at a garage to have the check engine light checked because she had AAA.
      First of all, there are handheld scanners that are only $20 for the simple jobbers to $200 for nice ones with live data and a bluetooth connection to the ODB2 plug so you're not hunched over like Quasimodo.

Secondly, any Autozone or Advance Auto Parts (as well as many other auto parts stores) have the ODB2 gizmo and will diagnose the car for free.

So her calling AAA to come out and diag her car is just @#$%ing stupid.
      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

That explains it. Mine has a (nominal) tank capacity of 55 litres (14.5 U.S. gallons), so you had more fuel than I did. Also, I was on a secondary road (Trans Canada Highway) north of the Lakes, with a lot of hills. Large parts of I95 are practically flat - what part were you on? I didn't use A/C either - my car doesn't have it.
        The Trans Canada Highway is a secondary road? O.o

Comment

Quoth VComps View Post
          The Trans Canada Highway is a secondary road? O.o
          Pretty much. Canada never really got into the Interstate craze the US got, so the Trans Canada Highway was basically "We need an autoroute from coast to coast to coast, so pick a bunch of highways that can get across the provinces and we'll stick a maple leaf on them."

In Ontario, the TCH is well north of Toronto and 2 lane highway for the most part once you get out of Ottawa.

In New Brunswick, until we 4-laned it from border to border (and realligned a big chunk of it), the stretch between Fredericton and Jemseg was built on the flood plain and would flood every year or two with the spring floods. Past Jemseg you'd be taking 2 lane roads through the forest until you got to Salisbury outside Moncton, with no real signs or services. Now it's actually a pretty nice highway from Edmunston to AuLac, even if the new allignment has it cut right throuhg the middle of CFB Gagetown's training area (Big signs saying "Do not leave the highway" all along it) and after that you have an hour of driving throuhg forest to get to Moncton with nothing else in between. (At least it's a straight stretch).

Now, the TCH is twinned from around Antigonish, Nova Scotia through to Ottawa, if you ignore the stretch in Quebec from Riviere de Loup to New Brunswick that's being twinned now. Beyond that, it's barely 2-lane highway class of roads, with Freeway sections near major cities (The prairie cities for example)

On another forum, there's a thread for tracking the Under construction parts where the TCH is being twinned. (Thread itself is 5 years old now). But some parts will probably never be twinned. (Canso to Sydney for example, since they'd have to twin across the heart of Cape Breton which is pure mountain + figure out how to get across the Canso Causeway). Twinning from Saint John's NF to Cornerbrook may never happen either due to similar terrain.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
            Canada never really got into the Interstate craze the US got, so the Trans Canada Highway
            lol! I believe VComps meant that in a relativistic way... he lives on the TCH.

Comment

LOL Yeah guess I should've looked at the Location. Anyways, I did manage to get a Skyscrapers Forum link there so I'm happy.

And yes some parts of it probably are better qualified as "Trail through the woods" than highway.

Comment

Working...
              X