This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request isn't a guarantee

So I had a guest come in starting off the bat asking if we'd match [seedy motel]'s weekly rates. We'll match any major chain since we pride ourselves on being "the lowest price of any national chain", but [seedy motel] is certainly not in that category. He asks about corporate rates, and I explain that our weekly rate beats any corporate rate we would ever offer and that it's the rock bottom best rate I have.

Well, now that's out of the way. He says he has a reservation for "Room 15" tomorrow for a week and wants to see if he can check-in tonight. I tell him that "Room 205" is occupied tonight but if he already booked it then he could move in tomorrow.

Then he gives me his name. Mr. SC. And I pull up his reservation.

And I see a request for "15*". However, (1) 15 is not actually booked for him, and most damningly (2) the room type he booked is a different room type from 15. 15 has two beds, and he booked a single. (He had booked through our 1-800 reservation center, and they have no way of looking up what types of rooms specific room numbers are at our property.)

[*not actual room numbers]

This is a problem, because my doubles are booked on the weekend, so I can't switch the room type to accommodate the request. I'd have to switch someone else's double to his single, and I can't really do that.

I apologize and explain the situation as best as I can, and I offer him a single room ("14") next to the room he wanted. (He had explained during our initial conversation that he liked 15 because he could see his truck in the parking lot, and 14 offers the same vantage point.)

Well, he flips his shit. He starts screaming me and calling me a liar. I apologize again and try to offer what few alternatives I have. I tell him it was just the one night we were booked and he could have his requested room the other nights but would have to move to a single on Saturday.

He tells me to show him "in the computer" where it says 15 is booked. So I open up my availabilities screen to show him and start to turn my monitor around for him to see when he starts waving his hands and saying he doesn't want to see it and that I'm lying. He pulls out his phone and calls Corporate.

Corporate, in turn, calls me. I explain my side of things. Corporate agrees that I was stuck between a rock and a hard place and there was little else to do, and that "I don't think we're gonna get this guy to understand that". The whole time Mr. SC is in the lobby trying to scream over me saying I'm a liar.

Finally I get off the phone and Corporate Guy goes back to finish up with Mr. SC.

While he's on the phone I start checking in a guest. Mr. SC finishes his call and storms up to me in the middle of my check-in demanding my name, my GM's name, and says he's going to trash us on the Internet. I may have gotten a bit snarky at that point.

Me: "My name is bhskittykatt."
    Mr. SC: "Is that spelled bhskitidkdygy?" *butchers any sort of spelling of my real name*
    Me: "Sure, we'll go with that." *thinking: I'm wearing a very visible nametag you twat*

SC storms out. I laugh about it a bit with my check-in (she's a regular and we can banter about stuff like that). I also filled out an incident report with my side of the story just in case even though Corporate sounded like they were siding with me on the phone. I don't think the complaint will count against us but you can never document too much.

I was getting ready to tell Mr. SC that "perhaps since we can't accommodate your needs, [shady motel] would be better suited to your business", but he was screaming so much I never got the chance to get that in. Seriously once he got on a roll I don't think he let me finish a single sentence, and I didn't really want to rent to him anymore by the end.

I get it sucks that your request didn't get met. 90% of the time we can meet requests and the rest of the time we can usually offer a reasonable alternative (and room 14 I think would have been reasonable). Putting a request in doesn't magically guarantee that it will always be met, though. Especially when you talk to a call center on the other side of the country instead of calling us directly.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

People only hear what they want to hear. He changed his mind about looking at your computer screen because he knew it would prove what he didn't want to hear.

With that attitude, he probably got kicked out of the shady hotel and ended up sleeping in his car.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I know how you feel.

It's especially difficult on multiple sold out nights in a row when have many requests. They all want 1st floor or a specific room.

Some are slick and make 3rd party reservations and then claim we messed it up when they wanted two beds instead of one.

Comment

I once had a lady request a shipper for an item. I told her that our warehouse does it's best to meet requests, but ultimatly it makes the call. She flipped and said that she gets it, that our CEO wrote a letter personally telling her she will always get her preferred shipper. Of course there wasn't even a whiff of a note from even the lowest rung employee, which, would be documented if the CEO climbed down from his cloud. That was fun.
        The angels have the phone box.

Comment

Quoth hotelnpa View Post
          I know how you feel.

It's especially difficult on multiple sold out nights in a row when have many requests. They all want 1st floor or a specific room.

Some are slick and make 3rd party reservations and then claim we messed it up when they wanted two beds instead of one.
          Meh, as long as I don't have to deal with stairs, I don't care. I'll even take next to the ice machine or elevator. I have to sleep with the TV going softly and earplugs away from home anyway. [and in a pinch I travel with a shower stool so I don't have to absolutely have a handicapped bathroom, it just makes life much easier and more comfortable.]
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Around here everyone wants second floor. Then they get cheesed at us when they find out they have a fantastic view...of the roof. Not of *national landmark* that *national park* is famous for...
            Last edited by Dentarthurdent; 06-09-2013, 05:31 AM. Reason: I can't verb
            "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
            Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

I love stories like this... because I live them. I am just finishing the night audit from hell... 3 drunken wedding parties, a pro sports event, and a kids' sports team (the kids wreck the property, the parents drunk in the halls).

It really is a miracle that everyone survives the night here some nights.

Comment

If I could open portals to alternate dimensions, I wouldn't be here doing this.
                "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

oh God. So this guy had cancelled his reservation for last week, and I figured that was it.

Guess what name just popped up in my arrivals?

And I mean JUST popped up. At 4pm on one of our busiest nights of the week. And I neither have his favorite room nor anything even remotely close to that area of the motel available. (Not that he reserved the right room type to get the one he wants...again...)

This could be interesting to deal with.

UPDATE - He actually apologized for last week.
                  Last edited by bhskittykatt; 06-14-2013, 05:42 AM.
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                  X