This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of responsibility

So I was "manager-on-duty" the other day, which meant mostly that the tellers came haunting my doorway whenever a customer was being beyond what they should have to deal with. And they had a few fun ones for me:

Customer the first

SCs mother deposited $40 in her savings account from a remote branch so she could come by our branch and retrieve it. The bad news: customer's checking account is overdrawn by over $300 and has been for more than 25 days, plus she has a loan payment overdue by over 30 days. So guess what: the savings gets a nice fat block on it. Cue SC throwing a FIT on the teller line and teller getting me.

As soon as I appear, SC proceeds to berate me in a loud voice about how her kids won't eat if she can't get this money, and she's in a hurry, and how could we do this to her, and so on and so on. I manage to get her to come to my office, releasing the teller to take care of others. Eventually, when she allows me to get more than two words in edgewise between her complaints of being so much in a HURRY, I am able to get the fact that I'm actually trying to help her through her head.

The facts are that, while her account has been negative for almost a month, she has a smallish bi-weekly direct deposit that has paid back over half of the original negative. There was also a cash deposit towards the negative only a week ago. Being that she was a member in good standing before this past month and, while she hasn't done the smart thing and actually TALKED to us about the negative and overdue, she has been making payments on it herself so we can work with her. BUT she has to talk to our collection department long enough for them to get a plan set up for under what schedule she will be able to get her account back in order. Something that, once she was willing to get on the phone with them, took all of 2 minutes, and I was able to get the savings released for as long as she follows the plan she agreed to with collections. I got her the cash from her account myself.

She then continued to complain to me for the next TEN minutes about how she didn't have time for all of this and how she's stressed out and can't deal with all of this and she has to get to her job NOW and doesn't have time for all of this...

I understand the stress, but seriously. Why is it that those in a "hurry" always seem to take the most time to complain?

Customer the second

Signed in for a manger to begin with and got me. Lucky him. Because he was trying for a fee refund (again), and while I have sympathy for mistakes, I do not for those who try to intimidate their way into repeated refunds.

BUT, I'm not going to assume that just because he's coming off like a a$$hole and has an account full of no more refunds warnings, that there might not be something legitimate that he has an issue with. Anyway, it kills the wind in many sails if you listen politely and sympathetically through their entire spiel, then tell them a firm no anyway.

His complaint this time is the debit card overdraft fee. Overdraft options can be confusing, but account notes say he's had them explained to him in detail. His problem? When he purposefully turned ON debit card overdraft (it defaults to declining the debit card at NO fee, and you have to sign a form to turn the overdraft for a debit card on), he says no one explicitly stated that the charge, which he was aware of, would be per transaction while his account was in the negative.

Because, see, he also purposefully took his account negative. But he expected... one fee. Total. For 3 days and 11 transactions after he no longer had any money.

This is not someone who had one big transaction clear first and then a bunch of little things hit (which we do NOT do on purpose... transactions clear as they post, except in the morning when all deposits hit before we start the withdrawals). This is someone who used up his money on little crap while on vacation and purposefully decided to keep using his debit card on little crap even after he KNEW the money wasn't there. And because HE decided that he wanted overdraft to be allowed on the debit card, the transactions continued to be approved.

I printed out the overdraft sheet and showed him the bolded line that stated the overdraft fee and that it would charge per transaction. To his credit, he did admit that it was there and that he probably should have seen that.

I asked him if he would like me to remove the debit card overdraft, which he declined, because he still wants to be able to let the debit card keep working when he's out of money.

Intimidation having not worked, he starts trying to bargain for a refund. Wanted to go half and half with the bank. I let him know that the account notes that I was looking at were from my branch manager when she stated that she went over the overdraft policy in detail with him and that he was to be given NO more refunds.

He wanted me to ask the branch manager if there was any way she could help him out. Poor him. Fixed income. (note that the overdrafts were from over-spending on a vacation. out-of state vacation where he and a couple of others rented out a beach house) Well no. Branch manager is not here right now, and I simply cannot and will not authorize any further refunds.

He's gone polite at this point,being one of those people who gives up on a tactic when he realizes it isn't going to work for him this time. Regales me with a story of his past life, before he retired, when his income was higher and his wife hadn't left him and took half his stuff.

Finally departs, cordially enough.

The next day, he talks to branch manager. She refunds 2 of the fees. *sigh* At least it wasn't half of them.
    Last edited by bankworking; 06-09-2013, 03:12 AM. Reason: too tired, pardon the grammer and mistypes

Brilliant! The account is red-flagged "NO REFUNDS" and management refunds them anyway!

Now that SC knows he can get refunds by complaining how soon before he darkens your door again?

Comment

I remember back in 2002 going cross country and my account ran into the negative when I was halfway home without me knowing it. Every transaction was hitting me with overdraft charges. Even a $1.50 candy bar (most expensive Hershey bar ever?). It ended with me getting home and having over $1000 in overdraft fees. I was soooo pissed, more at myself than anything. Bank refused to budge as well even though it was an honest mistake. I found a new bank the following week.
      Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Yeah, I got hit with a bunch of overdraft charges at a certain Bank of My Country, shall we say, when I used to have an account there. The first couple of times were legit my fault, because I'd failed to note a transaction or two in my checkbook. After that though, when I got overdraft charges despite my knowing I was in the black, and when they couldn't explain to me how it had happened when I could show them that I had all my transactions noted down, I promptly closed my account and went to a different bank, where I've not had any of the same problems.

Similar to the case of getting hit with huge fees for something that was completely my fault was my phone bill after my recent trip to Mexico. I'd failed to take into account the data roaming charges, which slapped me with something like $200+ fees over the course of my trip. I have enough money to cover that, and I'll just chalk that up as a learning experience. But you bet your ass, the next time I decide to go out of the country, I'll set up an international plan before I go.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I have a lot of sympathy (and a lot of leeway) with situations like those people are describing above. The thing that got me with this guy is that he PURPOSEFULLY set up his debit card to overdraw, and PURPOSEFULLY used that overdraw after receiving the full ONE page disclosure about how the overdraft worked with the part about the transaction fee PER transaction in bold print. Plus, he did not want to cancel the overdraw from his debit card... if you don't have overdraw turned on with the debit card, the card just declines and there is NO FEE. This guy: no sympathy, and management can handle the refunds, because they aren't happening in my name.

Comment

As soon as I appear, SC proceeds to berate me in a loud voice about how her kids won't eat if she can't get this money, and she's in a hurry, and how could we do this to her, and so on and so on
            Dear god I do not miss that from my time at the bank. Shudder. The worst were the ones begging for temporary Overdrafts, notes all over their files stating do not give overdrafts, and where their entire benefit or paycheck has gone up in smoke (literally - Your fooling noone by spending the exact cost of a pack of smokes at a supermarket rather than a diary) or into the one armed bandits.
            How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Stories like these make me glad I don't have a debit card. If I can't pay off my credit cards every month, I'll accept the interest charges as my "fees"--and it's been almost 20 years since I have carried a balance on the credit cards.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                Stories like these make me glad I don't have a debit card.
                I'm not sure how it works over there, but over here debit cards are linked to your funds. No money=no spending.

I have accrued the occasional overdraw for insurance (direct debit), but I have not yet (touch wood) accrued an overdraw for using it as a credit card.

Then again, I erally only use it as a credit card for online shopping and I don't do THAT all that often
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I don't have overdraft on my debit card from one bank, and yet they will put a charge through and charge fees galore on it. which is why I don't use that bank anymore.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    I'm not sure how it works over there, but over here debit cards are linked to your funds. No money=no spending.
                    It's the same here. But I have never been able to max out any of my credit cards. I've had to pay my Visa with my Mastercard a few times when things were extremely tight, though.

Also over here (most) credit cards now have zero liability if it's lost or stolen--used to be a $50 limit each. If somebody steals your debit card, however, they can drain your account, (assuming you have any money in there in the first place) and depending on the bank, you're SOL.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I had the experience of having a bunch of transactions hit at one time. I admit I should have been more careful in regards to what I had in the account, but the bank went ahead and processed the largest transaction first, even though it was one of the last ones I had done, which caused five smaller transactions to be in the negative.

I went to the bank and talked to manager. I told them I was willing to pay for one over draft fee, since if they had done the larger transaction last, I would have only been over that one transaction, but I wasn't going to pay five overdraft fees.

The bank refused to work with me, I closed my account and went elsewhere and they ended up not getting a dime.

Comment

Working...
                      X