This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Crazies from the Hardware Store

<bg>Recently I became hired as a FT cashier for the national chain of hardware stores with the the blue house silhouette. It's not what I want to do, but it pays the bills and keeps a roof over my head. The perks are that I'm 10 minutes away from home, can take my lunch there, have IHOP and Handles Ice Cream in the same plaza. I haven't worked retail in years but am back to the grind now. Unfortunately I'm starting to see those SCs here and there.<end bg>

Death By Embarrassment

It's the weekend and I'm working out in outside Lawn and Garden. There are a few racks of plants and flowers that are reduced, but since there are so many of them, the people in that department never bothered to mar down the prices for the reduced items. A lady comes through my line with 8 of the same plant. They all ring up the same price but she says they're reduced. Now if a few are missing the stickers and they all look less-thasn-healthy, I would simply mark them all down. In this case I said, "Let me get a manager to check on that.." So I send a manager back. A minute later he comes back, then the SC follows a few seconds later..

SC: "That wasn't nice of you to embarrass me like that, asking for a price check in line.."
    Me: "Uh, m'am, I'm not just gonna take everyone's word for it. What if you and everyone else had this problem and said, 'the price is only a penny'? The stores would go out of business..."

At least she didn't say anything after that, but I had a funny story to tell me coworkers. The wrong response would have been for me to say, "If you wanted to save face, then you should have paid full price, but I'm doing you a favor here.." Still, I had to wonder what she expected me to do. I remember working at a grocery store and actually having to do a price check on condoms while in express, but even as a young kid I was subtle and quietly told the bagger, "uh, I need you to get a price check on these.."

Not a Thief, but Acted Like One

Our store is pretty trusting, esp with our No Hassle return policy. I have to keep my eyes open though. This woman in her 40s/50/s checks out in my line, also in Outside Lawn & Garden, with her mom. The Daughter is using a regular cart full of plants and such while her Mom is in a motorized cart from the store and also has items in her basket. Both carts were one long order.

I rang up everything in the first cart, the daughter told me the carts were together in one order, and because of the somewhat smaller space in the checkouts, I moved the larger cart further up so I could get access to the stuff in the motorized cart. At that time, the daughter takes the large cart out to the car to start loading stuff up. Granted the items hadn't been paid for, but I had this trust with these customers. What was the mom going to do? Distract me while she rolls away with everything else?

So I finish ringing up the items in the smaller basket. The Mom tries to pay with a store card, but it comes up declined! Now we're stuck. Turns out the mother had an issue a few days ago with a previous store card where it was reported stolen (she told this to me) but the card she just tries using was declined. I voided the order and told her to go to customer service. Again, I was trusting her to do this. I'm not supposed to leave my register anyway, so there was little I could do.

A little later the mother comes back. Custy Service was able to straighten things out and issue her a temporary store card on a receipt. She showed that to me along with the receipt for the items that custy service rang up, only they rang up JUST the items that were in her cart and not the items that were in the car outside that the daughter had put in!!! I kindly asked the Mom to call her daughter inside so that she could pay for the rest, but I knew it was gonna be a hassle. The stuff was already in the car so they'd have to get everything back out. The daughter comes in a little mad about this, and I explained that only some of the items were rung up and paid for.

SC's Daughter:" This is YOUR STORE'S fault for this.
    Me: "No, the card doesn't belong to the store. This is your fault, and you walked out with unpaid merchandise..
    SC: ::Grumble::
    Coworker in that department: "Let me just call a manager over..."

So a few minutes pass, and one of the store manager's comes over, never seems to smile, but is a great guy. The car is right outside so they don't have to carry everything from the parking lot, and the manager is able to scan everything with their own pricing gun while the stuff is in the car. The customer comes back in and yells at me out loud:

SC: "...and SHAME ON YOU for saying that I walked out with UNPAID MERCHANDISE!!!"
    Me:

I'm thinking, "uh, either put up and show me your receipt or shut up." I actually felt bad for her. I didn't mean to embarrass her. I wanted to say, "You're not a bad person m'am, but given the circumstances..." I consider stealing as intentionally walking out with something hidden without paying for it, but I had seen and scanned all her items. There was no time for reasoning though. If she comes in next time and starts giving me a hard time, I'm going to refuse ringing her up and have someone else do it. Let her get her way, but I'm getting my way by making her wait. Thankfully none of the managers brought anything up to me.

emax4, your story reminds me of one Christmas season I worked for Sears. I was usually a clerk in the Men's department, but they needed help in the cash wrap and I was there. One woman came up with an armload of clothes, plus her son was also wearing a new pair of pants. Of course her credit card was declined. Back in the dark ages, if the register declined the card, we would automatically call in on the store phone ourselves. It was declined over the phone, also. Since we were not near a door, I could not take the merchandise from her and send her on her way. I had to let her keep shopping. About 30 minutes later, she's back with even more stuff, and wants me to ring her out. I refuse, because the powers that had been had already told me they would not approve her card for any amount. She had a minor hissy fit, and I suggested she try a different cashier, but *I* could not ring her out. I also reminded her that her son was still wearing the new pants (off of which they had already ripped the tags). Big mistake on my part--she went ballistic, claiming that I was calling her a thief, and how dare I!

I made it through that season and quit working for Sears!
    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I think that's kind of funny that the first customer would get attitude about you asking for the price check. I have to ask for price checks all the time when I'm at work because of missing tags. If I took everyone's word for it, same thing we'd be out of business.
      Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

When this happened, my first thought was, "Wow! After all the years of reading stories on customerssuck.com, now I can post a story or two of my own!" LOL

I had a job interview with Google at one point too, but realized that I'd still have the job at the hardware store if I didn't get the tech writing job at Google. It's not the job I want (I'm just doing this to pay bills and keep a roof over my head), but I look at the perks. I'm 10 minutes away from home, there's an IHOP and Handel's Ice Cream store in the same plaza, plus all the managers and coworkers there are very easygoing. I have an hour lunch and go home, take my shoes off, eat, plus I lay down and get to pet the cats too. After working downtown for so long, I relish the free parking as well.

Yesterday I rang up an older woman who brought out this gorgeous coin purse with tiny seashells on it. I complimented her on it, and she went on to explain all about it, and ended with, "Everytime I pull it out, someone says something about it..." In my mind I'm thinking, "oh... you and me both..."

Sometimes I'll see a family come in and buy stuff, and if they have small kids I'll say, "you gonna get ice cream later. (GASP) Oh, I said a bad word, huh?", to which the kids will go "ice creeaaamm!!" I've had one parent laugh and say, "hey, whose side are you on?" So far, I'm not encountering the SCs that I expected I would encounter (knock on wood).

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
          ... I'll say, "you gonna get ice cream later. (GASP) Oh, I said a bad word, huh?", to which the kids will go "ice creeaaamm!!" I've had one parent laugh and say, ...
          "Not until they get their tonsils out."
          /Cosby
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
            I think that's kind of funny that the first customer would get attitude about you asking for the price check. I have to ask for price checks all the time when I'm at work because of missing tags. If I took everyone's word for it, same thing we'd be out of business.
            We have a problem with missing tags too. Fortunately, it's the SKU tag that has the price and we have to enter the SKU for every item. If a customer says, "That was $1.95" I can just say, "I can't enter just the price, I need the SKU."

More than once, the correct SKU has brought up a price much higher than the oh-so-trustworthy guest stated. Of course, then they say, "I don't want it."
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Most pieces of fruit have (or are supposed to have) PLU stickers on them. If variety X of a given fruit is on sale and Y is not, they always tell me the sale price...I can't do anything with a price, I need the code. Yes, I can see it's a peach, but we have three different kinds right now and they all look the same. I need the code.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
              X