Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra History -- Hey guys, let's go to war!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra History -- Hey guys, let's go to war!

Courtesy of the guys behind Extra Credits -- They did an experiment several months back by running a mini-series about the Punic Wars (mostly Hannibal v Rome - including info about specific individual battles) just to test the waters, and it turned out really well. (This experiment was made possible by a grant from the Total War guys (Creative Assembly), who specified that there were no conditions attached to the grant, not even a requirement to mention where the money came from -- EC gave them credit anyway )

This week, they just wrapped up the first set of videos of what is now going to be a recurring series, "Extra History," with one about the prelude to World War I. To their credit, the final video talks about details they couldn't squeeze in on the actual videos, as well as an open acknowledgment of info of doubtful veracity, plus the things they simply fucked up on.

Next up, in two weeks: an look at the Sengoku Jidai -- the "Warring States" period of Feudal-Era Japan. In other words, Nobunaga Oda is certain to be discussed.

The series is well worth viewing, even if you're not a history buff.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Dang, when my old computer died I forgot to put them in my new bookmarks.

Oh well, I guess I should start playing catch up. And where better then my favorite subject, Military History.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I finished it. I cried at the final music. They did a magnificent job of telling what happened. Only 100 years ago, most of Europe was still a monarchy. In a blink of an eye, and a flash of fire, the world ended and was conceived anew. WW2 was the birth pains of our modern world.

Did you know, there is only one (official/dedicated) WW1 museum in America? It is in Kansas City. I had the opportunity to visit it twice. The first time while I was at a Chaplains conference, the second time during Annual Training on a group fun day (museums are my definition of fun, I almost feel bad for thous who do not enjoy them, almost.). They have a Flanders Field memorial, a poppy for every 1000 dead. There were so many poppies my battle buddies did not fully believe me, until the guide said the same thing. There were over 100,000 poppies remembering the fallen.

It was fully modernized in the 90s, and is very nice. They have the American section of the Pantheon, full walk through of what the trenches were like, and at the end; they had a section of the prelude to WW2.

If you ever visit KC be sure to visit.

Comment

And if you ever visit New Orleans, check out the National WWII Museum near Lee Circle.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

As I understand it, the 100 million dead figure includes the (mostly civilian) victims of the Spanish Flu epidemic, which was spread worldwide by returning soldiers. "Only" a few million died in action.

Comment

Ya, but the Spanish Flu only spread as quickly (and as widely) because of WW1.

If it were not for the massive number of troops moving in Europe, the Spanish Flu might have only been confined to a small region (it might not have even reached North America). Before WW1, not that many people traveled for recreation. (heck, only 30 years ago, I would have been considered crazy(er) for driving 60 miles to play games every week.)

Comment

Thanks EK. I'd seen the Punic War series and loved it but had no idea there were more.

Gilhelmi, I hear ya on the "almost." If everyone liked museums, they'd be way too crowded.

Comment

Ya, but at least they would be better funded then. I know a couple museums that could use more traffic, so they can remodel.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                  ...I know a couple museums that could use more traffic, so they can remodel.
                  Or sadly, stay open at all. The Terra Museum on N. Mich was one of my favorites and is sadly closed now, but had perfectly curated and presented exhibits. The lithos of Dox Thrash really stand out in my memory of my Father-In-Law and my visits there.

Comment

I would love to be rich so I could pass out anonymous money to deserving museums. I absolutely love museums, some of the best memories I have of traveling is visiting museums for a whole day and browsing.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                    X