Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone automatically cringe at customers from working retail so long?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone automatically cringe at customers from working retail so long?

I think I might have. I've worked as a cashier at two separate jobs, together, for the past 6 years, one volunteer and one paid, and I honestly tend to think the worst of people as I see them approach me. I don't know whether this is me recalling past battles between myself and sucky customers or me fearing dealing with people should they be the brittle kind that snap like twigs, but I know something is definitely there.

I know this is horrible, but given some of my own horror stories and those that are posted here, it's hard to stifle that "sucky until proven pleasant" mantra I get myself into so frequently.

Does anyone else feel this way at all, or am I all by myself on this one?

No, you are not alone! I have actually grown to hate most of mankind and expect the worst from them. I'm actually suprised when people act nice and are polite.

My husband use to think I was nuts for not wanting to deal with people and not wanting to run right out and make friends with all of our neighbors, till he started looking around more and saw my point.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

I feel ya on this. I tend to be the same way--I expect the worst. I hate this, because I'm a generally optimistic person, but unless I'm talking to the techs I'm familiar with or someone is pleasant off the bat, I tend to expect them to be a pain. The same way I expect most people to be rude, and most cars on the road to be piloted by terrible drivers.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
        The same way I expect most people to be rude, and most cars on the road to be piloted by terrible drivers.
        Hear, hear!!

Quoth Misanthropical
        I'm actually suprised when people act nice and are polite.
        I am as well, I'm sorry to say.

You know the world is going downhill, if not already there, when people start to resent their fellow people.

Comment

Actually I still have a pretty optimistic view of most people as they flock to my register...but then again I have only been cashiering for three months so there is plenty of time for my spirit to be broken

But I DO cringe at people who come up and very obviously have an attitude. You can always tell. I'm not sure why anyone would have an attitude while ordering food. I'm always so happy when I'm ordering food because I looooove to eat and I think of concession stand or fast food workers as gods, bringing me the goods.

I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I have to say that about 95% of the people that I encounter each day (and I encounter a shitload of people) are perfectly nice and pleasant, and if not nice and pleasant at least not dickheads. Then there are those people who make a frowny face and sigh and moan and complain and sneer and seem determined to be pissy. *swat*

Comment

Also, it makes me kind of sadly amused when I go to fast food places (McD's, Taco Bell) and the workers seem shocked when I smile, and say please and thank you.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I'm actually suprised when people act nice and are polite.
              Me too. I have no faith left in humanity.

When a call comes in on our software it makes this tell tale "bing" noise. I have *seriously* woken up in the middle of the night because I thought I heard that bing.

><

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                When a call comes in on our software it makes this tell tale "bing" noise. I have *seriously* woken up in the middle of the night because I thought I heard that bing.
                We have a short low *beep* followed by the automated lady telling us what kind of call it is (the "whisper"). Most of mine go *beep* "Saves" or *beep* "Transfer to Saves." I hear it in my sleep sometimes.

One time, someone in the call center somehow managed to get that *beep* and make it the ringer for his phone.
                "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

We have a voice on the telephone that announces, "One pharmacy call" whenever we get a phone call. I hate that voice. Hearing it is another thing that makes me cringe, because for some reason, people on the phone think it's okay to be rude, demanding, belligerent, anything of the sort. I theorize it's because they don't have to see us in person, so they feel more ballsy that way. God help us if we give them anything but 110% cheerful service with a smile (the "smiling voice" ) for fear they call corporate on us.

My motto is treat others as you wish to be treated. That's how I deal with people. Some people, of course, don't believe in this. Or maybe they wish to be treated like dirt, in which case I'd be MORE than happy to oblige, except there's this thing called "your call may be monitored for quality assurance".

You know what I say to those people?

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                    Also, it makes me kind of sadly amused when I go to fast food places (McD's, Taco Bell) and the workers seem shocked when I smile, and say please and thank you.
                    Same here...Also same here for being tainted after *sigh* 15 years of dealing with the public...

You are not wrong at all for cringing at the sight of another human whilst at work

Just prepare yourself properly....I like a bat myself
                    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Same here. It's partly why I drag my heels on job-searching when I'm between jobs (as I am now, having recently moved back to my old state). I have no desire to have what remains of my soul sucked away into the abyss of another boring and useless enslavement.
                      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Even though Whiskeyclone was a first job and I worked there for two years; I've grown to become a bitter man and I'm not even 20 yet. I hate even leaving the house because I feel that I'll be witness to some idiot.

Like Dr. Cox said: "People are bastards, bastard coated bastards with bastard filling."
                        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

There's nothing like working with the general public to instill cynicism, pessimism, and a general loathing of humanity. Frankly, I was a heck of a lot worse in that regard before I found this site. It's about all that keeps me from saying things like GK writes.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

6 months of working in retail was enough to make me question the sanity of the local populace, 4 years later and I now have zero faith in humanity and really find it disheartening that retail workers recognise eachother even out of uniform or on the other side of the counter because we're the only polite, nice, smiling ones. *sigh*.

Comment

Faith in humanity. I think I read about that in a book. I remember the passage was next to the passage about Unicorns and Dragons.

Comment

Working...
                              X