This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Free Weekend Fun (long)

Thank God, non-God, non-existant God, WHOEVER that tax free weekend is over. Between my sucky manager and the ever-present sucky customers, it's been hell. Here are some highlights of suckage.

1. The most asked question: "...Is this tax free? WELL WHY NOT?!"

A woman came up with a laptop, some software, and a laptop case. Everything was tax free except the case (anything over $20 is taxable. Don't ask me why, I don't know. That's the law).

Me: I'm sorry, ma'me, but this is going to have to be two separate transactions. Your bag is taxable.
    Her: Why's that?
    Me: It's over $20.
    Her: Well can you fix it?
    Me: ....No. We don't set the prices. Corproate does.
    Her: WELL THAT'S FALSE ADVERTISING!
    Me: You're still getting everything else tax-free but the bag (the tax on the bag would have been $2. Not a big deal)
    Her: WHATEVER! I'm never shopping at BBuy again! *leaves mid transaction with all her stuff on the counter)
    Me:

2. Constant Cell-phone Chatter

A guy comes up to my till on his cellphone. I used to just silently run through the transaction...but now it's starting to piss me off. So instead of doing that, I now just go through the transaction normally, as if nothing unusual is happening!

Him: (blah, blah, blah) Oh yeah, Bob, I'm at BBuy.
    Me: How are you doing today, sir?
    Him: (whispers) Fine (into the phone) Oh I'm at the register.
    Me: Did you find everything you were looking for?
    Him: (nods)(into the phone) Oh I can still talk!
    Me: Do you have a RZ card?
    Him: (shakes head 'no') (blah, blah, blah--I think he was trying to conduct serious business negotions--at BBuy--on a tax-free day--in public--on a cell phone--at my register. I think it's at this point he realized he might have made a mistake)
    Me: Would you like one today?
    Him: No. (into phone) Oh no, Bob! I wasn't talking to YOU!
    Me: (goes into spiel on the RZ card)
    Him: I'm not interested (into phone) Oh no, Bob! I wasn't talking to you! I'm always interested in you!
    Me: Were you interested in magazines today?
    Him: No. (into phone) I can still talk, Bob!
    Me: Your total is $XX.XX
    Him: (scans debit/credit card)
    (transaction goes through, reciept prints out)
    Me: Now on your reciept--
    Him: (tries to grab it) Yeah?
    Me: (holding it slightly away from him) you can go to this website--
    Him: Yeah?
    Me: And fill out a survey about your service. You could win a $10,000 shopping spree for participating!
    Him: Yeah. Ok. Thanks. *grabs reciept and runs*
    Me: HAVE A NICE DAY, SIR! COME BACK AND SEE US!

Am I wrong for this? How can it be so wrong when it feels--so--RIGHT?

3. Kid with more money in her wallet than I have in mine

Today a kid who couldn't have been more than 10, her mom, and her sisters come up to my till wanting to buy a pre-paid phone. The phone comes up to over $100. They decline a replacement plan, but I offer them an RZ card. They accept.

Mom: Can I put it in her name?
    Me: Well she has to be over the age of 13.
    Mom: Oh....well put it in mine.
    Me: (finishes the transaction and gives the total)
    Kid: (hands me a gift card)
    Me: Ok. That brings your total to $XX.XX
    Kid: (pulls out her designer Vera Bradley purse, pulls out a HUGE WAD OF CASH, and pays me)
    Me: (blink)...Ok...(goes into $10,000 shopping spree spiel)

Let me note here that the whole time the kid didn't say a word. Not "thank you" or anything. Handling spoiled little bastards is one thing--but a spoiled little bastard with a HUGE WAD OF CASH is another. Misguided rich parenting, you think? Only the donger knows....

4. Spoiled little bastard

Wasn't my customer but I watched. As you all know and probably deal with yourselves, there's always candy, magazines, cheap games, and other impulse items near registers. A kid and her mom come up to make their purchaes and the kid apparently wants candy (what a shock there, eh?) Mom says 'no', so the THROWS THE CANDY IN THE WRONG PLACE, KNOCKS STUFF OFF THE SHELF, AND STOMPS OVER TO HER MOTHER. Yeah, guess who got to fix that? Me.

But another cool set of parents came up to my register later on with their son. He threw his game on my counter, but his dad said "WHOA! Son, don't throw things that's not nice." I wanted to kiss that man.

5. Adult customers who throw things

Can anyone explain that phenomenon? It's annoying, and when people throw money or merchandise at me I just want to break their fingers.

6. Customers who refuse to speak

I think I've gotten around that phenomenon while remaining my generally sweet self and continuing to offer them stuff, even when I know they'll say 'no'. It's the principle of the thing, dammit! If you went up to my register and I treated you the same way, you'd be bitching to my manager. Respect is something you earn, people!

7. Customers who buy cheap pieces of crap

Er...yeah. We had some Comcraps that were $350 I think. Of course you all know they flew off the shelves. No one wanted a service plan--and half of them will probably be back after the 14 days screaming bloody murder: That they were never offered the plan (these were people who probably said "No, I'm not interested", "DON'T OFFER ME ANYTHING ELSE, DAMMIT!", "Oh no, it's ok. I'm sure I'll be fine", or other such crap). One of my co-workers said something funny, though.

Customer: Is this *points to comcrap* Any good?
    Him: *whips out cellphone* This is better than that.

OH MY F***ING GODDESS!! We just got done with a tax-free weekend in New Mexico, too. I know have definite opinions on the damn thing. For one, they should have to ask for it not just automatically get it. Two, it should be for something for a kid for school, not women's lingerie! Three, they should have to prove their a resident of the state (This is probably a reaction to the fact that it's idiot tourist season here and I'm getting damn tired of them!).

The best question that I got by far was this, "Why is the state doing it?" I don't know sir. You'd have to check with the state legislature and governor. I'm sorry, but King Bill (aka Gov. Richardson) doesn't feel the need to check with me on these matters....hell, he's hardly ever in the damn state to begin with!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Well here it's only on school supplies, computers, laptop, and computer accessories. People tried to argue, but the managers stood their ground. Otherwise, we get a HUGE fine.

Comment

Customer #2:
        Him: I'm not interested (into phone) Oh no, Bob! I wasn't talking to you! I'm always interested in you!
        That doesnt exactly sound like buisness more like bizness. You know you could have really messed up the beginings of a beautiful relationship for him.....

We had some Comcraps that were $350 I think
        You know I have one of the Compaqs and they are really not all that bad for a person on a budget that just needs a basic computer system to do basic work on. Not everyone is a rich boy who can afford a overpriced, overblown piece of junk to waste time on playing games. Some people have to get somethign on a budget and why bother with the service plan anyhow when BB just ignores it and refuses to honor their agreements.... (Still bitter about a mistreatment from BB)

Comment

My coworkers son has quite a bit more money than I do. He has a paper route. He's quite good at what he does, and gets a lot of great tips (he cleared nearly 2 grand last Christmas). And since he has no expenses, he just has a lot of cash. So while that kid was likely spoiled, i've seen this happen more and more these days. And good for those kids, they have a strong work ethic.

Comment

What the heck is a tax-free weekend? I thought taxes were like death - you can't avoid it.....

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
              What the heck is a tax-free weekend? I thought taxes were like death - you can't avoid it.....
              Tax-free weekend is a yearly extravaganza in which there is no sales tax for certain school-related items (computers, laptops, computer accesories, clothes, shoes, school supplies, etc.). It's also a hot mess. People want to apply the tax-free status to EVERYTHING (I heard one guy bitch out a gas station attendant for charging him tax on his soda -_-). Then you had the wise asses "Oh, so my Playstation 3 isn't tax free? Hardy har har".

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                Customer #2:

That doesnt exactly sound like buisness more like bizness. You know you could have really messed up the beginings of a beautiful relationship for him.....

You know I have one of the Compaqs and they are really not all that bad for a person on a budget that just needs a basic computer system to do basic work on. Not everyone is a rich boy who can afford a overpriced, overblown piece of junk to waste time on playing games. Some people have to get somethign on a budget and why bother with the service plan anyhow when BB just ignores it and refuses to honor their agreements.... (Still bitter about a mistreatment from BB)
                Well that guy should learn not to conduct business at my register. Is it so wrong that I get pleasure from the fact that I might have made things awkward between him and Bob?

As for the Compaqs, I know that SOME are ok--but the ones we were selling will barely work (and SLOWLY, at that). The processor is crappy, it's only got 80GB and 512RAM--AND VISTA. Thus I designated them as "Comcraps". Vista needs WAY more than that to run well. No offense intended (Well...maybe towards the guy on the cellphone )

Comment

Well that guy should learn not to conduct business at my register. Is it so wrong that I get pleasure from the fact that I might have made things awkward between him and Bob?
                  Not really all that bad. You only get the uncomfortable chair level of hades realm... And maybe he'll learn to at least put Bob onhold while he's at the register now..

Thus I designated them as "Comcraps". Vista needs WAY more than that to run well. No offense intended
                  Actually I was coming back on here to aplogize to you for possibly sounding offensive. I didn't mean it to sound like I was mad/upset with you but BB corporate policies and the one store inparticular which I had trouble with. Your comment sounded remarkable polite compared to the way I was treated when my compaq with XP broke and I wanted to get the GS to fix it. The general attitude of the GS and computer folks at the local BB is that unless you are spending a bazillion dollars then you are trash and need to be wiped off their shoes before they can smell you. Being told to join the modern world and to just trash that piece of junk and trying to force me over into one of those new vista machines made me a SC that day. I'm still rather bitter and upset about that.

And yeah Vista is such a resource hog not to mention poor piece of software that much bandwidth is devoted to that and I'll never get another computer past my XP boxes unless its linux or mac or other. And I'll stop there before I get my BP up again.

Anyhow peace and long life.

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
                    Something I wish we would have in Wisconsin, just because I am in the market for a laptop now.

Although it would certainly suck for all those working on the tax-free days.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth WorkAtBBuy View Post

As for the Compaqs, I know that SOME are ok--but the ones we were selling will barely work (and SLOWLY, at that). The processor is crappy, it's only got 80GB and 512RAM--AND VISTA. Thus I designated them as "Comcraps". Vista needs WAY more than that to run well. No offense intended (Well...maybe towards the guy on the cellphone )
                      vista is shite even on a top end system. disk I/O is abysmal and the only real benefit, exceeding the 4GB RAM limit only exists in Vista 64, and good luck getting any drivers for that.
                      DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth Lehk View Post
                        vista is shite even on a top end system. disk I/O is abysmal and the only real benefit, exceeding the 4GB RAM limit only exists in Vista 64, and good luck getting any drivers for that.
                        I haven't had any problems with it, Lehk, and I'm using an old single-core Athlon 64 2.2GHz on an equally ancient ASUS MoBo, with 3GB of ancient PC-3200 DDR-1 RAM. It's more of a resource hog than XP was, as XP was over 2000 and ME, but I'm not noticing any appreciable lag in disk I/O.
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                        X