This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

OK, in bars and pubs in the UK, it is extremelly common practice that the customer has to go up to the bar to order their meal, rather than get table service. In our bar, all they need to do is get a table number, go up to the bar and order, pay, and we do the rest. Very simple. The main reason for that is because we can get EXTREMELLY busy, and we just don't have the man power to do table service on every single table and customer.

I don't mean this to be offensive to anyone on this board, but Americans find this impossible to understand. Not every single American, but about 70 - 80%.

This could go under sightings.

Two American girls walk in and sit down. They wait, and they wait, and they wait. Finally, a member of staff goes over to see if they are OK.

CW: Hey are you OK there?
    SC1: We have been waiting for ten minutes and no one has come over to serve us!
    CW: *Looks confused, apparently the line at the bar wasn't obvious enough* Ok, well if you just step up to the bar, I'll serve you.
    SC2: You WILL serve us here!
    CW: Just follow me up to the bar, and I'll serve you right away.

They come up to the bar, they are not happy. They order two coffees, and they sit back down. All is well.

About ten minutes later, one of them storms up to the bar.

SC1: I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER! I'LL BE AT OUR TABLE.

Manager walks over.

Manager: Hi, how can I help you.
    SC1: We want food! No one has come over to serve us! We have been sat here for twenty minutes now!
    Manager: OK, well I'm afraid we don't do table service here. It says in front of our menus *points to bold writing*. It tells you to go to the bar to order your food.
    SC1: Why should we have to do anything? We want food and I demand you serve us.
    Manager: If you walk up to the bar, we will be quite happy to serve you.
    SC1: We're not doing anything! We want food, we want table service and we want it now.
    Manager: I'm afraid that will not be happening. No one else here is complaining about not having table service, it would be unfair to the other customers if you were to get special treatment.

The other girl jumps in.

SC2: Well your coffees are ewwwwwwwwww! *sticks her tongue out*
    Manager: I beg your pardon?
    SC2: Your coffees are ewwwwwwwwww! *sticks her tongue out again*
    Manager: Well I think your attitude is ewwwwwwwww! *he sticks his tongue out at her*
    SC2: Oh my God how dare you!
    Manager: Kindly finish your coffees, that is, if they are not too ewwwwww for you and make your way to the doors. You will not be getting any service from anyone in this building.

They were completely shocked, they walked out gasping a series of "Oh my God"s
    Last edited by customersruinmylife; 06-16-2007, 02:01 PM.

She stuck out her tongue? What is she, in kindergarten?
    I can see how that can be confusing, since I've never heard of that in Canada or the states, but once it's explained, why not just do it? You're in a foreign country, some things are done differently. Some people are so stubborn.

I showed this to my brother and he thought it was funny that she said "how dare you" when she just did the same thing!
    Last edited by mariamousie1; 06-16-2007, 02:16 PM.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

mmm, I'm not surprised. About the Americans not understanding part, that is. Of course I'm not surprised about the girls, either, but that's a different subject.

Very few places in America have that kind of service---a few little tiny local places in various parts of the coutnry might, but in general that kind of service is only used at fast food places, so we tend to associate them with each other.

Cultural differences are very interesting to me---I've had several friends from France over here, and they refuse to eat without silverware. I've watched them take burgers apart and eat them, piece by piece, with a knife and fork, very fastidiously. And considering that we just love our finger foods, it's a pretty amusing sight at a backyard BBQ.
      Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

As an American who has traveled abroad many times, I, unfortunately, find your story all too common. If people are going to be ignorant of the culture in the country they are visiting, THEN DON'T LEAVE HOME! Anyway, I love the way your manager handled that situation. It's about time people realize that complaining about something doesn't negate their responsibility in knowing what's SUPPOSED to happen.
        It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again...

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
          How did these "ladies" make it to the airport on time, get on a plane the correct way, get off, and make it out of the UK airport without hurting themselves?
          ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Manager: I beg your pardon?
            Manager: Well I think your attitude is ewwwwwwwww! *he sticks his tongue out at her*
            Manager: Kindly finish your coffees, that is, if they are not too ewwwwww for you and make your way to the doors. You will not be getting any service from anyone in this building.
            Your manager rocks. Those two were just asking for it.
            A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Some people need to be more shy.
              I'm extremely shy and got a bothering complex, meaning I'd go out of my way not to bother people.

It forces me to read every sign in the place.

If I still don't understand, I'll ask as few and concise questions as possible.

I also tend to believe what employees tell me about their job.

They know best, last time I checked!
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

He is awesome!

Those girls had no execuse, in pubs where food is ordered at the bar, there are usually big signs saying 'Order Food Here' and clear instructions on the menu and the like. I'm sure there are plenty of English folk who get confused especially as the line between pubs and restaurants becomes increasingly blurred.
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

You know, I've never left the United States...

....never been to a pub

...and even I know that one orders food at a pub by going to the counter and ordering.

And I know that if one acts like an ass in such a place, one will be assisted out the door.

"How dare you?" Please.
                  I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

I just about fell off my chair when I read this one!

Seriously, you have to wonder how such people manage to get through life. You'd think that after being turfed out on their ear on a regular basis they'd clue in. But apparently there are twits out there that accommodate them....
                    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

That's the way my restaurant works. No matter how big, red, or neon encrusted we make our "order here" sign it still escapes some people. I think they do it out of spite.
                      You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

I've been in places where i wasn't sure if you a. order at the counter, wait for your food, and sit down, b. order at the counter, and then they bring it out to you, or c. sit down, and have someone take your order. Been in places that do all three, and if i've never been there before, when in doubt, I'll watch what everyone else is doing!

And you wonder why the "Ugly American" tag sticks in so many countries!

Although, slightly OT, I've encoutnered the same ignorance simply going to other parts of the US - drove from NJ to AZ a few years back, and in some places, my traveling companions said things that made me want to crawl away and hide. Just because it isn't the metro NY area, and things are done differently, doesnt' mean its bad, just different.

Comment

I've never left the states, but I already knew you had to order at the bar.

I watch a lot of bbc programs.
                          Check out my cosplay social group!
                          http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

OK, in bars and pubs in the UK, it is extremelly common practice that the customer has to go up to the bar to order their meal, rather than get table service. In our bar, all they need to do is get a table number, go up to the bar and order, pay, and we do the rest. Very simple. The main reason for that is because we can get EXTREMELLY busy, and we just don't have the man power to do table service on every single table and customer.
                            That's not a hard concept to grasp, especially if it's printed in big, bold letters on the menu. Then again, I read directions first, then ask questions if I don't understand the directions in writing. Anyway, your manager's reaction was hilarious! I'm now picturing it in a Monty Python-esque skit.
                            Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 06-17-2007, 03:54 AM. Reason: No need to quote entire post
                            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

We went into a pub on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh for lunch. We weren't sure, so my mom and I sat down, my dad went and asked. Sure enough, you order at the bar and they bring you the food. No big deal! I guess it's because we realized we weren't in NM and things are done differently in different places. Honestly, we try to be good examples of American tourists and I sincerely apologize about the idiots out there that give the rest of us a bad name!
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X