This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Merriweather View Post
    If I plan to get glasses at the same place as the exam, I go in at least 15 minutes early, just to look at frames, and pick them out before my exam, while I can still see Started doing that after I got one pair the turned out to look totally different once I could see clearly.
    That's what I did when I got the pair I'm wearing now and found a couple of pairs that I liked . . .but b/c I didn't have the cash to fork out right then (even with the vision plan it would have still cost me) so I simply took the script and checked out a couple of other places.

Turned out it still would have cost me out of pocket either way. All because a) I have a strong prescription and b) I'm now wearing progressive bifocals.

I ended up going back that December to the same doctor (exam was in April) right before my insurance ran out and, after all the copays and everything STILL spent almost $180 out of pocket.

Which, ironically, was slightly cheaper than Wallyworld . . . they quoted me around $230 after my insurance.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Cheapest place (other than some online stores) that I have found for glasses:

http://www.goodwilloptical.com/currentOffers

I am going to get my exam there and try some online place next time.
      Check my blog at http://ericthetechguy.blogspot.com/

Comment

Diabetes is a killer on the eyes. In fact, that's one of the ways you might find out you have it.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quite apart from avoiding headaches from not being able to see properly, there are various medical conditions, some serious, some just annoying, which can be discovered by an optician who knows what they're doing.
          That's an excellent point!

As you've found out, a good doctor can see symptoms of some serious medical conditions just from looking at how your eyes react to the exam. a quick google search found this article on just a few examples of what they can find.

Diabetes is a killer on the eyes. In fact, that's one of the ways you might find out you have it.
          I think that's part of how they figured out Dad had some diabetic issues. In fact when Mom took him off sugar and switched him to splenda he reported that his vision actually got better almost overnight. Not completely cos he still had cataracts but it did improve.

And if you're not careful "killer on the eyes" is an understatement - diabetes can fucking blind you.

to all of you for bringing up a very important topic.

Comment

Another one in favour of regular checks
            I have yearly eye tests as there is a history of glaucoma in the family. This is caused by high pressure in the eye & can also lead to blindness.
            I went to the opticians 3 months early this year as I was seeing rainbows around lights, a sign of a bad pressure change in the eye. Luckily, on investigation, my eye pressure was fine but after a few more tests, it turns out I'm developing a nuclear sclerosis in one eye... "a sort of cataract" as the optician put it.

Not much to be done about it at the moment apart from wait & see, my appointments have been changed to 9 monthly, but at least I know why my eyes were feeling weird!
            Last edited by Cazzi; 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM. Reason: Why do I always spot an error just as I hit post?
            Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Quoth Cazzi View Post
              I have yearly eye tests as there is a history of glaucoma in the family...
              That's one of the reasons I trust my optician. Apart from being the one to discover the brain thing (something that 2 different branches of a certain chain of opticians known for 2 for 1 deals missed) the first thing he did for all of us when we registered was test the pressure in our eyes, since there's a history of diabetes & glaucoma in the family. This way he has a baseline
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Cazzi View Post
                Another one in favour of regular checks
                Another fan of regular eye exams here.
                I am incredibly near-sighted, to the point that I need to get my eyes checked yearly. With the shape of my eyeball, the retina has a lot of tension on it, and there is a history of glaucoma, diabetes (waiting to see if it will show up in my branch of the family tree or will skip a couple generations), and mom (who is even more near-sighted then I am) has had a detached retina.

Comment

Working...
                X