This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac tutorial for Windows/Linux admin?

Last week I got an iMac. (I kinda feel dirty now...) I know that it's supposed to be easy to use, but I can't seem to get very far past "point, click click, oooooo shiny". I've been trying to install some of my *nix utils, but have been having a hell of a time with some of them. (Did you know that Macs don't come with a C compiler by default? I thought this was a *nix machine, for pete's sake!)

So. Does anyone know of a good how-to/tutorial/walkthrough/whatever aimed at someone who wants more than a just a computer that goes well with the furniture? My Google-fu is failing me here. (It doesn't help that I'm totally wiped out today, either.)
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Install Xcode - that should help with your *nix tools
    Apple have some decent guides on their website, more consumer oriented though

Comment

As well as Xcode, install either Fink or MacPorts. That should get you access to a lot of stuff you're more familiar with. However, these won't integrate too cleanly with the Mac desktop - there's a separate X11 server that runs as an application in its own right.

The Mac has always had its own, internally-consistent way of doing things. This means that everything its designed to do has a shiny, well-packaged, application to do it, probably with a price tag attached. For example, if you need basic office software (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations), your best bet is iWork; for basic photo management, try iLife. Both of those should be available through the Mac App Store, which should be on the Dock by default.

Comment

Yeah, I gave up on Apple's official sales pamphlets user guides.

I forgot to mention that this isn't a new iMac; it's from 2007 and has OSX 10.6 installed. I don't care to try bringing the system itself up to date, at least not right now, but that apparently means that I can't get the current version of Xcode... I think.

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        As well as Xcode, install either Fink or MacPorts. That should get you access to a lot of stuff you're more familiar with. However, these won't integrate too cleanly with the Mac desktop - there's a separate X11 server that runs as an application in its own right.
        I'm not worried about the programs playing nice with the look-and-feel; the apps I'm installing are all terminal apps. I'll look into Fink & MacPorts; thanks for the pointers.

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        The Mac has always had its own, internally-consistent way of doing things. This means that everything its designed to do has a shiny, well-packaged, application to do it, probably with a price tag attached. For example, if you need basic office software (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations), your best bet is iWork; for basic photo management, try iLife. Both of those should be available through the Mac App Store, which should be on the Dock by default.
        For office software, I really need MS Office, for VBA support. (I have some spreadsheets that I've macro'd the hell out of.) My understanding is that the current version of Office does indeed have VBA; I just need to get a copy and try my macros out. Sigh.
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

I think Libreoffice supports VBA.

Comment

All descendants of StarOffice (including LibreOffice) use some variant of StarOffice Basic. While similar, it's not the same, and I'd essentially have to rewrite everything from scratch. I don't mind spending a little more money if necessary, and I bet I can find a copy on eBay or Amazon or whatever on the cheap.

Comment

If you have the install DVDs that came with it, the original Xcode should be on those discs.

In theory, you can always get a set of system discs for a different Mac, and use Pacifist (free download) to install software from that on to your iMac.

Comment

I *think* that a 2007 iMac should be able to run the latest version of OSX - my 2007 MacBook Pro can. If so, that's a *free* upgrade. Check the Mac App Store; it should offer the upgrade if it's compatible.

It probably is easier to upgrade it *before* you have spent a lot of effort on getting everything to work as you want it to. Enough things have changed between the versions that you'll have to re-research, relearn, and redo a lot of stuff if you delay it. That's a major reason why I haven't upgraded my MBP yet - I have needed the machine to keep doing its job with absolute reliability for a while longer.

Comment

Well, I got a popup about an hour ago informing me that I can upgrade to Mavericks (10.9) for free. Still not going to right now; my understanding is I can get it from the app store later. I'm not much for going with the latest version of anything, especially not the OS.

I did not get any system disks with the Mac; if necessary, I'll hit up the local MUG and see what they're willing to do for me. Worst case scenario, I hunt down a precompiled version of gcc off the net. The Huntsville (Alabama) MUG has it available for 10.6+... I'll probably try it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X